Extortionate green fees!

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m on a jaunt upto Angus/Fife and have taken a half set in the hope of nipping out for a couple of quiet rounds. Had my eyes on some Carnoustie courses but when trying my luck for an ‘evening’ tee time they wouldn’t budge on the cost. £300+ for the main course (which I played on a forum trip a few years back) but over £100 for the 2nd course was a also a bit too much. I fancied Panmure but limited visitor times and a large green fee put pay to that.

I wouldn’t mind paying full whack if it wasn’t for the fact I’m nipping out for a few hours in the evening on my own. I therefor opted for Arbroath for £50 (see other thread) and the 2nd course at Monifeth for £55.

Two great courses and I don’t feel like I’ve been ripped off.

Reactions: Val

sunshine

Visit site
The Trust lost millions over the Covid years so, as a not for profit organisation, they need to recoup that money somehow.

Lost a load of money but still effectively giving it away to local residents. Charging local people a reasonable amount somehow didn’t make the short list of options to recoup losses 🤔

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Lost a load of money but still effectively giving it away to local residents. Charging local people a reasonable amount somehow didn’t make the short list of options to recoup losses 🤔
It is not given away to locals. A links ticket is excellent value but not exactly free.
IMG_0058.jpeg

D-S

Visit site
How much is a green fee at the Old Course in the ballot these days? The website is incredibly opaque when it comes to fees.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
So generous and greedy at the same time, make your mind up.

They are not giving it away to locals at all, they are charging a fee they feel is appropriate. It is after all the locals who effectively are owners of the golf course.

sunshine

Visit site
It is not given away to locals. A links ticket is excellent value but not exactly free.
View attachment 54705

Wow. £371 a year for unrestricted use of SEVEN courses. I know they are not all championship courses but that’s just £50 a year per course. Peanuts. Almost giving it away.

And a green fee is £320 this year. I understand the rationale but the balance has tipped too far towards favouring the locals.

sunshine

Visit site
So generous and greedy at the same time, make your mind up.

They are not giving it away to locals at all, they are charging a fee they feel is appropriate. It is after all the locals who effectively are owners of the golf course.

The locals aren’t the owners. You’re coming across as a troll on this thread. Not sure why I’m replying

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
The locals aren’t the owners. You’re coming across as a troll on this thread. Not sure why I’m replying
The Local Authorities own the courses themselves the trust merely operates them, so don't see how my statement that they are effectively owned by the locals is incorrect.

As you are not keen on the discussion I am now out, goodbye and have a great day.

D-S

Visit site
We used to have an annual cricket tour to St.Andrews in the early 90s playing the University and the Professors. I seem to recall the students then paid £75 for their annual ticket, I am not sure if this was discounted or the same as the residents rate. The Old Course green fee was £36, New and Jubilee were £20. So the green fees seem to have had more inflation than the resident rates but both have increased significantly.
If green fees had kept pace with inflation it would be about £85 to play the Old Course now!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wow. £371 a year for unrestricted use of SEVEN courses. I know they are not all championship courses but that’s just £50 a year per course. Peanuts. Almost giving it away.

And a green fee is £320 this year. I understand the rationale but the balance has tipped too far towards favouring the locals.
For balance that is roughly the same cost as access to South Ayrshires eight courses and I would imagine the Edinburgh Council's courses [6?]

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site
For balance that is roughly the same cost as access to South Ayrshires eight courses and I would imagine the Edinburgh Council's courses [6?]

Thanks.

Although Edinburgh council's 6 municipal courses don’t include Muirfield and Gullane. And South Ayrshire doesn’t include Royal Troon etc.

I do understand that the St Andrews courses are a council owned facility that should benefit the local community. I’m all in favour of big discount for locals. I just think the balance has swung too far.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
It's £1 a day!!! Near enough giving it away.

I think it is a good thing really, but the disparity between this and the visitor fees for UK residents outside of Fife, is a bit mad.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's £1 a day!!! Near enough giving it away.

I think it is a good thing really, but the disparity between this and the visitor fees for UK residents outside of Fife, is a bit mad.
The Old Course is the most famous open venue and perhaps has the cheapest green fees. Don’t see it as a problem.