Should clubs offer reduced green fees for UK golfers ?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
golf is definitely becoming an expensive game. One of my all time favorites is the Hotchkin, I just nearly had a heart attack when I looked at the green fees there now. I remember when a hundred quid would get you a round and still have change for a bite to eat afterwards. I can't believe it's over 200 now. Last time I was home in the summer I played with my brother a few times and courses that use to be 30 or 40 quid at the weekends are now asking over 60.
I played the Hotchkin in a ladies open about 5 years ago for about £30, interesting there is a ladies team open on the Hotchkin this year £40 each including a meal that is an amazing price

sunshine

Visit site
At 10k per year?
Probably plenty corporate events there though.
I very much doubt there are any corporate events there ever, unless you count the Scottish Open. Members don’t pay tens of thousands to play behind a society. It’s members and guests only.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I very much doubt there are any corporate events there ever, unless you count the Scottish Open. Members don’t pay tens of thousands to play behind a society. It’s members and guests only.
I think there are. I know quite a few people who have played in and that it was an invite.
Renaissance (£100k or so to join) also has things on there I believe.

sunshine

Visit site
I think there are. I know quite a few people who have played in and that it was an invite.
Renaissance (£100k or so to join) also has things on there I believe.
Wow I’m surprised. Loch Lomond ethos was ultra exclusivity. I guess they had to relax that a bit to stay afloat.

Although I’ve spoken to a few people who said they played Loch Lomond and then when I discussed the experience in more detail I discovered that actually they had played the Carrick, which is a hotel resort course which is popular with corporate days out.

Visit site
Wow I’m surprised. Loch Lomond ethos was ultra exclusivity. I guess they had to relax that a bit to stay afloat.

Although I’ve spoken to a few people who said they played Loch Lomond and then when I discussed the experience in more detail I discovered that actually they had played the Carrick, which is a hotel resort course which is popular with corporate days out.

I played at Royal County Down with a lovely Glaswegian who was a member at Loch Lomond…. At lunch, I cheekily asked him what the process is like for joining Loch Lomond…

“You write them a big old cheque and you’re in” 😂😂

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Well, I could actually be wrong.
I asked the people on the WhatsApp group I'm on. The 3 who have played it were all on with a member.
One chap said that he thought some people got a game as a charity prize.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m seriously wondering where all the money is coming from, given the huge increases.

It could be they have less slots available so the smaller numbers going on society events are sufficient to take up the slots they allocate.
There is still serious money swilling around in this country, England. Just because we don't see any of it doesn't mean it's not there. We are kept in our place so the rich can still have their money and all the toys and comforts that go with them. Look at who's our PM.

The Lion

Visit site
There is still serious money swilling around in this country, England. Just because we don't see any of it doesn't mean it's not there. We are kept in our place so the rich can still have their money and all the toys and comforts that go with them. Look at who's our PM.
A really good point, sadly 😔

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Political post alert..🤣😂🤣

The Lion

Visit site
Or a load of rubbish usually spouted by people who don’t want to take responsibility for their own situation?

They’re right though. It’s not like it’s easy to break into any higher level circles. There’s a lot going on you know.

Golf clubs themselves used to be the places where the elites did business and plotted away. Still are in some cases…

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
They’re right though. It’s not like it’s easy to break into any higher level circles. There’s a lot going on you know.

Golf clubs themselves used to be the places where the elites did business and plotted away. Still are in some cases…
Probably applicable everywhere any people meet.