Golf in Ireland - Dual pricing for non Irish

The Lion

Visit site
Free here in Suffolk and you get reciprocal rights at courses in Essex and Norfolk.
Never understood why Suffolk and Norfolk clubs keep it inbred and won’t share with the rest of the country — it’s the only region left where you can’t use your County Card from elsewhere. As a result, some clubs outside the area won’t take Suffolk/Norfolk cards.

Time England Golf took action and made it nationwide.

Severof

Visit site
Hope you enjoyed St Patricks, shot 78 round it a couple of months back first time seeing it, lovely setting, even better condition and mild'ish winds on a clear day helped!

The whole cheaper for GUI card holders is a big plus for any club members on the entire island. Oddly a lot of folks from the US dont like playing on "cheap" courses so I guess this also makes them more appealing to visitors from across the pond. I have yet to see any complain about the price too yet you can go play decent courses in florida for less than $50 easily. I guess being from here spoils us a little and dont know what we have until others come over and give great feedback.
Was 6 shots worse than you. 20mph winds and way too many 3 putts. Loved first 6 holes and 14,15,16. The rest at the time I found just OK. Weird last hole for a course such as this. 5 1/2 hour round following 4 painful Americans with caddies who must have thought they were in the Ryder Cup. Putting out as a four ball took them an eternity on every green. Us a 2 ball, they wouldn''t call us through and the group in front of them finished over an hour earlier and 4 groups behind us all backing up. At least it didn't rain I suppose

Had a chat with the guy in the pro shop 'hut' before and after who was great. Perhaps the 4 ball from hell clouded the experience, as I took the wife who took plenty of pictures and videos and I can't stop looking back at them. Sent to friends who think it looks amazing.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Never understood why Suffolk and Norfolk clubs keep it inbred and won’t share with the rest of the country — it’s the only region left where you can’t use your County Card from elsewhere. As a result, some clubs outside the area won’t take Suffolk/Norfolk cards.
I never realised that holders of county cards from other regions could use their county card nationwide....i always thought it was just what it said it was...a county card demonstrating that you were a member of a (in my case) Suffolk club allowing you discounts at other Suffolk clubs, oh and by the way we have shared the arrangement with our neighbours so we have a three way arrangement including Norfolk and Essex. Never knew you could use it outside your own county or little band of associated counties.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In the 1990's the golf club at my municipal course had over 1000 members and around 250 county card holders.
The members paid around £30 for club membership [not inc course access ;) ] and I think it was £10 for a county card which gave then a free game on 14 courses.
The private members clubs really hated the system but it financed the county teams

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

North Wales is similar. I couldn't use my Gwent County Card at Nefyn or N Wales..... but they take it in Cornwall 🤣🤣

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
The significant majority of America's most renown golf courses are available only to members and their guests,
and since they tend to be cashless, expenses accrued by guests go directly to the host member's bill.
This is especially true of member-owned clubs, perhaps less true of holding-company owned clubs.

Other exceptions would be clubs which have agreements with resort hotels to accommodate guests.

Most open to the public courses in many parts of America are called 'munies" and are actually owned by cities and towns.
Some of them were built during the Great Depression as public work projects.

This is not the case in my area where almost all of the public courses are privately owned.

In any case, it seems that many of the most highly regarded British Isles courses actually are available to visitors.
Is this the case?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In any case, it seems that many of the most highly regarded British Isles courses actually are available to visitors.
Is this the case?
There are a few exclusive courses that operate on the American system, but these are very few and mostly fairly new.

We have some public courses open to everyone.
The majority of courses are private, however they generally welcome visitors and although they may restrict tee times available to visitors for all except the very top courses they are easy to play at short notice at non busy times.
Weekends particularly in the morning tend to be reserved more for members.
Most private clubs allow members to invite a certain number of guests per year for a fee is significantly cheaper than the standard green fees for visitors.
Some clubs operate reciprocal deals for reduced fees or occasionally free deals with other clubs.

Severof

Visit site
The polar opposite happened In Ireland yesterday, so only fair to report. As 2 non members on holiday, we put our names down earlier in the week and were accepted to make up a 4 ball in a Club team event at Dunfanaghy GC. For just £24 euro we played 18 holes in their Annual charity comp, and received a free burger and chips after, an invite to the prize ceremony that evening, with a free chicken in basket meal, raffle and live music.
45 teams of 4 entered, and during the round we had torrential rain, sun, 25mph wind and even a hail storm at one point. Never before in a round of golf had I been soaked to the bone and just 4 holes later blown to absolute bone dry.
A great day and evening at a great club, with my 13 yr old even winning the mens nearest the pin prize, and having his prize winning photo uploaded onto the club's FB page.
All in for 24 Euros a head. Not sure we'll ever beat that.

Severof

Visit site
And lastly. Cruit Island today . 60 euro for me and 15 euro for junior for 18 holes. Could have got this for half this price with a G Ireland membership but even at this price, an absolute steal. Incredible place. For me beats St Patrick'sat Rosapenna hands down which was almost 5 times the money. Note to self: Rick Shiels advice not always the right way to go .
In any case, looking fwd to a trip back to The Emerald Isle.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The polar opposite happened In Ireland yesterday, so only fair to report. As 2 non members on holiday, we put our names down earlier in the week and were accepted to make up a 4 ball in a Club team event at Dunfanaghy GC. For just £24 euro we played 18 holes in their Annual charity comp, and received a free burger and chips after, an invite to the prize ceremony that evening, with a free chicken in basket meal, raffle and live music.
45 teams of 4 entered, and during the round we had torrential rain, sun, 25mph wind and even a hail storm at one point. Never before in a round of golf had I been soaked to the bone and just 4 holes later blown to absolute bone dry.
A great day and evening at a great club, with my 13 yr old even winning the mens nearest the pin prize, and having his prize winning photo uploaded onto the club's FB page.
All in for 24 Euros a head. Not sure we'll ever beat that.
Good to hear. As you are probably aware that's where Paul McGinley spent his summers as a child and basically learned to play the game on that course

Severof

Visit site
Good to hear. As you are probably aware that's where Paul McGinley spent his summers as a child and basically learned to play the game on that course
Yes mate. If you look at their FB page , he was there the next day overseeing work. Members we played with said that the club raised 60k for course work Inc a new practice area and range. Apparently PM matched that out of his own pocket

Skytot

Visit site

I have a Cheshire Card , I thought I could only use it for courses in Cheshire?

The Lion

Visit site
I have a Cheshire Card , I thought I could only use it for courses in Cheshire?
You should be able to use that nationwide, and also at some but not all courses in Wales and Scotland.

Sometimes different rates apply for national vs local CC, but most clubs do offer CC rates.

The Lion

Visit site
I never realised that holders of county cards from other regions could use their county card nationwide....i always thought it was just what it said it was...a county card demonstrating that you were a member of a (in my case) Suffolk club allowing you discounts at other Suffolk clubs, oh and by the way we have shared the arrangement with our neighbours so we have a three way arrangement including Norfolk and Essex. Never knew you could use it outside your own county or little band of associated counties.
Mostly, you can. It’s really just East Anglia where they restrict you. Worth asking when you travel though…