Golf trip to Spain: Sotogrande or Estepona advice please

Wanabe

Visit site
Having been to Quinta do Lago the last 2 years the group, of which there are 8, are wanting to try somewhere new. The short flight time to Portugal and Spain is welcomed by all. Spain seems the ideal candidate. I have researched a bit and found Sotogrande as an up market resort, a bit like Quinta do Lago, with some great courses nearby, such as La Reserva, Real Sotogrande and Almaneira. So plenty of courses, high quality area etc. The hotel that comes up is the Encinar, but my travel agent says it is a bit isolated, although we all book a taxi to restaurants so don’t need to be above to walk to go out at night. Travel agent says why not stay in Estepona as it is only a half hour transfer to the courses. Maybe Sotogrande is too quiet? I do not fancy La Cala resort as the courses appear very hilly, undulating and very crammed into the landscape. We are mid to high handicappers, who love golf, eating out and talking crap on the golf course. Wide fairways, greens that are not too tough and lack of wind would be preferred! I would say the greens at Quinta do Lago are very difficult as they undulate so much. Perhaps too hard!
Any ideas or experiences would be welcome

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Estepona is my favourite town after Malaga on the western Costa Del Sol. Still has a decent Spanish feel to it, Some great restaurants and bars.

Personally would avoid Sotogrande as it is small, expensive, though it does have a great marina if you like boats. :)Golf there, La Reserva, Valderrama and Finca Cortesin will set you back around 350 euros a round. San Roque is not much cheaper.

Personally I would definitely play Valle Romano. You can get a round there for around 70 euros including a buggy. Just need to play later in the afternoon. A lot of hills so you must have a buggy.

Also worth playing Los Flamingos and Alferini (both at Villa Padierna) which are about twenty minutes from Estepona heading towards Marbella. Alferini is the tougher course. Both have held lady European tour events and will probably set you back around 120 euros.

You should pay a visit to Casares up in the mountains. 30 minutes from Estepona, and one of the prettiest white towns in all of Spain. Watch out for the vultures though which are massive ! Some of the best restaurants are on the road up to Casares.

We have an apartment 10 minutes fromn Estepona so know the area well.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’ve never golfed in that part of Spain, but can fully endorse what @richart has said about Estepona and Casares.

My wife and me are regular visitors to Estepona and absolutely love it. The old town is lovely, there are a multitude of lovely cafes and restaurants both there and down near the marina, and the whole place just has a really nice feel about it.

When not playing golf somewhere, Estepona is my happy place. Absolutely love it.