Top 100 Lists Of Courses

S

Snelly

Interesting to read that D4S has played 70+ courses of the top 100 (UK and Ireland) in the GM List.

I use a slightly different list which is at http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/

I have played 37 of the Top 100 UK and Ireland list on this site but when I change this to look at the top 100 for England, I have played 52. For Ireland I have only played 3 and Northern Ireland, just 2. Most surprisingly, I have only played 9 courses in the Scotland top 100 list and I thought it would be higher as I feel like I have played a fair bit in Scotland but obviously not.

Not sure what this proves apart from that I have too much time on my hands and more importantly, I need to start taking my clubs to Scotland with me as I am there at least 5 times a year!

Perhaps more interesting is the often had debate about which are the best? My top 5 in order are:

1. Royal County Down
2. Sunningdale Old
3. Swinley Forest
4. Sunningdale New
5. Muirfield

But it is very difficult to pick just 5.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wow, i need to get out more! from your list Snelly, i have played 2 of the top 100 in England. Wentworth West and West Hill!

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've spent quite a bit of time on this site over the years, reading the course reviews etc. Always enjoyed it and think its well put together.
I think the main guy behind it is this Jim McCann fella who does a lot of the reviews. By the look of it he must play more golf than anyone else on the planet.

I like the way you can search the best rated in each county also. Ive played 14 of the top uk 100, I thought Id done more tbh, although Theres a lot that have just dropped out of the 100.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

I think the 'issue' with websites like the one Snelly uses is the rankings are based on user reviews.

At the risk of sounding snobbish or aloof, a high handicap player rating a course will be very different from a low handicapper in that a higher player who knocks it round a fairly open, easy track in 40 points will think it's great but the same person getting beaten up by a tough championship course and scoring 20 points won't rate that course so highly. Whilst these websites provide a good starting point to find courses to play, I tend to take some of the rankings with a pinch of salt as they are far from accurate. A good example is Centurion, currently ranked 99th in England. I've not played it but from what I hear it is a lot better than that! I tend to put my faith in lists that have been compiled by 'professional' course reviewers that are able to give a more balanced ranking although sometimes I am ledt incredulous at some of the results!

But for what it's worth, I've played 59 of the top 100 in England, 26 in Scotland and 11 in the Republic according to top100golfcourses.co.uk I am surprised that NI courses aren't included in Ireland as that would add a few more to my list.

S

Snelly

D4S - the way that Top 100 rank is not based solely on user reviews. It takes into account the GM and GW lists and so on.

The way they do it is pretty comprehensive and you can read about it in detail here -

http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/htmlsite/aboutus.asp

I think it is a pretty accurate method.

PS - Centurion is so new that it probably does need to be just on the fringes at this stage. I think 99 is okay for now and I have played it. A good course.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I've only got 5 out of the GB&I list under my belt. Probably because I begrudge paying silly money (two out of the 5 were free invitations!!).

I was asked for my best 3 in the "meet the forum" section of the mag and was pleased to see one of my choices, Traigh on the west coast of Scotland make 25 in the Scottish list. £16 for the day when I played it (now you're talking!) and probably the most beautiful natural surroundings I've ever played in.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
That website has some baffling rankings of courses so its all relative.

Ive played 14 courses top uk 100

14 courses top 100 England.

10 courses top 100 Scotland

Should be breaking my duck on Ireland next year :thup:

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

D4S - the way that Top 100 rank is not based solely on user reviews. It takes into account the GM and GW lists and so on.

The way they do it is pretty comprehensive and you can read about it in detail here -

http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/htmlsite/aboutus.asp

I think it is a pretty accurate method.

PS - Centurion is so new that it probably does need to be just on the fringes at this stage. I think 99 is okay for now and I have played it. A good course.

Cheers Dave, I read through that link. I see what you are saying about taking into account other lists but I'm still not convinced about their system. I've looked at some of the reviews and often seen what appears to be 'sabotage' possibly from members of local clubs that want their own course ranked higher than a neighbouring one. There is some evidence of this if you read the reviews for Broadstone/Parkstone/Ferndown.

Overall though, it is still a good reference source when looking for new courses to play :thup:

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have played about 14 on the England list ... my top 5 course I've played in the UK in no order:

West Hill
Centurion
Hillside
Remedy Oak
Formby

Narrowly missing out ...

Wentworth West
Royal Lytham
Birkdale
Frilford Heath (all courses good)
Woodhall Spa (Hotchkin Course)

As people have said above, it's all relative. I grew up near Royal Lytham so it didn't quite have the same 'wow factor' as some other places for me. Personally, Hillside is my favourite course on the Southport coast, that back nine is magnificent.

Don't envy anybody that puts these lists together, always gonna come under fire from someone!

S

Snelly

Overall though, it is still a good reference source when looking for new courses to play :thup:

Indeed and that is what I use it for most I would say.

I have also been asked by the guys that run it to do some reviews and rankings for Sussex. In fact the Sussex rankings have changed as a result and now are a lot more accurate, in my opinion that is. :)

D

Deleted Member 1156

Indeed and that is what I use it for most I would say.

I have also been asked by the guys that run it to do some reviews and rankings for Sussex. In fact the Sussex rankings have changed as a result and now are a lot more accurate, in my opinion that is. :)

I hope you have listed West Sussex as #1!!! :)

S

Snelly

Naturally! :)

1. West Sussex
2. Rye
3. Royal Ashdown Forest
4. Goodwood Downs
5. Crowborough Beacon

:)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
trouble is some of the guys rating the courses are numpty's of the highest order.

One put he thought the greens let my home course were poor, despite visiting The north of Scotland in March during the harshest winter in 50 years!!!!!

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Just had a look at top100 ratings for Scotland - I've played 22 of the top 100 and have another couple scheduled for weeks ahead

The 10 top rated courses Britain and Ireland courses I've played according to their ratings are

St Andrews Old Course
Royal Dornoch
Carnoustie
Lahinch
North Berwick
Loch Lomond
Cruden Bay
Nairn
St Andrews New Course
Blairgowrie (Rosemount)

I'd pretty much agree that all of them deserve a top 100 place

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
trouble is some of the guys rating the courses are numpty's of the highest order.

One put he thought the greens let my home course were poor, despite visiting The north of Scotland in March during the harshest winter in 50 years!!!!!

There is some real crackers on there from some complete buffoons. I remember reading the Birkdale reviews and and somebody put that it was a boring, flat course LMAO.

There should be an idiot filter so we can get a true rating :D

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site

I believe the Greens at Goswick are quite good, even in March :whistle: