Deleted member 1147

I need to get a few more played, of the top100 in England I've managed 6:

The Hotchkin
Hillside
The Brabazon
Beau Desert
Seacroft
The Grove

Have North Hants booked in for HFH, and hopefully one or two more down Dorset way the following week, looking at the courses in the area of Portsmouth to Bournemouth (staying in Christchurch): Ferndown, Broadstone, Parkstone & Isle of Purbeck are all on that top 100 list, may have to enquire about them.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
22 out of the top 100 for me (No NI or Irish).

Glaring mistake for me is Royal St. Davids in the top 50, if it wasn't for the castle on' th'ill, it wouldn't be in the top 100.

Nice course, but not great.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played a few on the list but it's not an overriding passion to play that many. If the opportunity arises then fine, but to be honest there are lots of clubs not on the top 100 in any list that provide a wonderful day out and don't break the bank.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
trouble is some of the guys rating the courses are numpty's of the highest order.

One put he thought the greens let my home course were poor, despite visiting The north of Scotland in March during the harshest winter in 50 years!!!!!

100% agree.The guy McCann is very questionable with many of his too but that's the thing with reviews....we can all have differing opinions.

I have played a massive amount on the list and agree with many but dis-agree with many so who's correct?:confused:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Glaring mistake for me is Royal St. Davids in the top 50, if it wasn't for the castle on' th'ill, it wouldn't be in the top 100.

Nice course, but not great.

I'm glad it's not just me that has this opinion :thup:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Using the link, 24 of the Top 100 in GB & I, 39 on the England list.

Not sure if it's the best 5 but my personal top 5 of the ones played would be

1. Royal St. Georges
2. Rye
3. Littlestone
4. Sunningdale (Old)
5. West Sussex

One that I've played but wouldn't rush back to is Crowborough Beacon; not unpleasant but for me I feel it gets the ratings for the views rather than the course.

Last edited:

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am 5 behind you in England Gordon - 47!! Haven't done UK as very low on Ireland and Scotland. Hope to play at least 3 more this year - Coombe Hill, Ferndown and Wisley. We also discussed an overnighter with evening at the Bel Air nightclub - can then knock off the Brabazon, which must be very nice as it is ranked ahead of Bearwood!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Paul....ping me some dates you are free, I'll talk to Andy about Ferndown :thup:

Lanark_Golfer

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Interesting link with the top100 list, was surprised to find I've managed 21 of the top100 in GB&I and 47 of the top100 in Scotland. Isn't to shabby over the last 6 or 7 years.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
We also discussed an overnighter with evening at the Bel Air nightclub - can then knock off the Brabazon, which must be very nice as it is ranked ahead of Bearwood!

Most people who have an overnighter at Bel Air are not after birdies of the golfing kind, although I hear many of those are well under par too.

I have sad news about the Brabazon, though. How can I break it?

It is rubbish. You will hate it. The only reason it is ranked ahead of BL is that it has had Ryder Cups and Tour events and some people therefore think that it must be great, even if they can't exactly say why. It isn't. If you play it and tell me with a straight face it is better than BL, I will buy you a large drink in the bar at BL, and maybe a bag of crisps too.

Others here will have different views. Such is life.

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
Agree that the Belfry set up in general is pretty average - or maybe just below average. If you are planning a trip for the nostalgia factor then great, but if you're expecting a golf course to inspire and challenge - you will be disappointed.
A much better option would be to spend a similar amount on a trip to Woodhall Spa.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
This thread was probably going to go down this route sooner or later so sod it I'll join in.

Ive said it before but I'm going to say it again.. why on earth isn't Beau Desert in the top 100? Its a much better course than Moortown. Its a much better course than Delamere which is higher in the England top 100 (similar course though with same designer)
and Trevose?? Come on, BD walks all over it.

Maybe they're not rolling out the Red carpet? Would it be in there if it was in Surrey or Berkshire?
As a course I think it ticks a lot of boxes. Great variety of holes, Lots of elevation changes, extremely challenging, very scenic. But most of all a very enjoyable place to play golf.

Surely all these reviews can't be wrong.. http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/htmlsite/productdetails.asp?id=156

Id love to know from someone in the know what's holding it back?

Im sure others think Theres a few other inaccuracies in these lists( I'm including the GM list here also as BD doesn't make the 100 also) But omitting Beau Desert is the biggest error I can see. I think if the Mags and reviewers want these lists to be seen as credible and accurate they need to start dropping the average courses living on past glories.

Last edited:

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most people who have an overnighter at Bel Air are not after birdies of the golfing kind, although I hear many of those are well under par too.

I have sad news about the Brabazon, though. How can I break it?

It is rubbish. You will hate it. The only reason it is ranked ahead of BL is that it has had Ryder Cups and Tour events and some people therefore think that it must be great, even if they can't exactly say why. It isn't. If you play it and tell me with a straight face it is better than BL, I will buy you a large drink in the bar at BL, and maybe a bag of crisps too.

Others here will have different views. Such is life.

Pretty sure I won't rate it too much and have low expectations - so hopeful that I will enjoy it better than expectations - and heard great things about the quality of the course and greens. So while I have avoided it for years (in favour of options like Woodhall), quite looking forward to going and having an overnighter - and I will eat my hat if it is as good as the brilliant Beau Desert, which is, somehow, ranked way lower. In the Midlands, I suspect that several other tracks should be ahead of the Belfry such as Beau, Little Aston, Whittington Heath, Blackwell and Enville - although, I haven't played any apart from Beau yet - and would bet a great deal of money that after playing all of them that Beau remain a clear winner!

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This thread was probably going to go down this route sooner or later so sod it I'll join in.

Ive said it before but I'm going to say it again.. why on earth isn't Beau Desert in the top 100? Its a much better course than Moortown. Its a much better course than Delamere which is higher in the England top 100 (similar course though with same designer)
and Trevose?? Come on, BD walks all over it.

Maybe they're not rolling out the Red carpet? Would it be in there if it was in Surrey or Berkshire?
As a course I think it ticks a lot of boxes. Great variety of holes, Lots of elevation changes, extremely challenging, very scenic. But most of all a very enjoyable place to play golf.

Surely all these reviews can't be wrong.. http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/htmlsite/productdetails.asp?id=156

Id love to know from someone in the know what's holding it back?

My thoughts exactly - missed your comments as I was typing. Beau can sit very proudly in top Surrey and Berks company. If they would get the chainsaw out a lot more in places - par 3 towards the end of the front 9 a great example, and renovate some of the bunkers - the horrible ones near the green on the 18th being a prime example, I think this is a definite Top 50 course