Top 100 Lists Of Courses

D

Deleted member 18588

Pretty sure I won't rate it too much and have low expectations - so hopeful that I will enjoy it better than expectations - and heard great things about the quality of the course and greens. So while I have avoided it for years (in favour of options like Woodhall), quite looking forward to going and having an overnighter - and I will eat my hat if it is as good as the brilliant Beau Desert, which is, somehow, ranked way lower. In the Midlands, I suspect that several other tracks should be ahead of the Belfry such as Beau, Little Aston, Whittington Heath, Blackwell and Enville - although, I haven't played any apart from Beau yet - and would bet a great deal of money that after playing all of them that Beau remain a clear winner!

As a Midlander I have played all those courses you list and would agree that, whilst it sometimes receives an unjustified level of criticism, the Brabazon would IMO rank beneath Beau Desert and Little Aston, on a par with Enville and just ahead of Whittington.

With all due respect I can never understand why Blackwell is so highly rated. Personally I would not place it in my personal Top 100 but as Ethan rightly said, others may think differently.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have done 10 of the GB&I list - but 38 of the Scotland list. The latter not too bad for someone living in London.

Favourites;
Royal Dornoch
North Berwick
Nairn
Moray Old
Prestwick St Nicholas

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Agree that the Belfry set up in general is pretty average - or maybe just below average. If you are planning a trip for the nostalgia factor then great, but if you're expecting a golf course to inspire and challenge - you will be disappointed.
A much better option would be to spend a similar amount on a trip to Woodhall Spa.

Which shows it's horses for courses because I find this post nonsense. The resort is outstanding and caters for golfers very well, if anything id say it's too big. The Brabazon is a cracking course challenging all aspects of your game with arguably the fastest greens ive ever putted on. Granted it's just had circa £30m spent on the resort so can't comment previous but I find the mixed reviews odd.

Like I said earlier, horses for courses.

V

vkurup

Wow.. the highest played course is #29 - Swinley Forest and a few handful after that. It gets better if I drop it down to England top 100. Swinley gets up to #10. I am going to see if I can do a Top 100 in Surrey and failing which look at Top 10 in my 1/4 mile radius.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've played 15 of the top 100 in England, never certain about these rankings but they are fun to debate.

A few in Scotland & Ireland but not enough.

S

Snelly

Which shows it's horses for courses because I find this post nonsense. The resort is outstanding and caters for golfers very well, if anything id say it's too big. The Brabazon is a cracking course challenging all aspects of your game with arguably the fastest greens ive ever putted on. Granted it's just had circa £30m spent on the resort so can't comment previous but I find the mixed reviews odd.

You are quite right in saying this and it is good that different people like different things.

However, they ruined a half decent bit of farmland when they built the Belfry. Three good holes and it is always in reasonable shape but as an experience, it isn't for me. Even with a complimentary dose of chlamydia thrown in courtesy of the patrons at the Bel End, it is still a bit of a dump in my view.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
You are quite right in saying this and it is good that different people like different things.

However, they ruined a half decent bit of farmland when they built the Belfry. Three good holes and it is always in reasonable shape but as an experience, it isn't for me. Even with a complimentary dose of chlamydia thrown in courtesy of the patrons at the Bel End, it is still a bit of a dump in my view.

So mature.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

It needed the money spending. It was looking tired. I actually think the PGA course is better but I accept your views. The Brabazon was a nice one to tick of the list but it really didn't live long in the memory bar the famous holes. Sorry

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It needed the money spending. It was looking tired. I actually think the PGA course is better but I accept your views. The Brabazon was a nice one to tick of the list but it really didn't live long in the memory bar the famous holes. Sorry

The layout of the Brabazon is head and shoulders above the PGA national which was a nice course in itself, the Brabazon for me had two weak holes which were 1 and 2, afterwards it got better. I know it divides a lot of opinions which is good I suppose but I really don't get the criticism it receives. IMO of course.

It's not in my top 5 but it's certainly not forgettable.

Maybe those who didn't like it need a revisit for a second bite since it's had some dough spent on it?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Allan you have to put Concrawood on your must play list mate , as you know Druids was my favourite course, until last Friday that was, Concra is a beauty mate ..a must play

A pal has played it and raved about how good it was. On the radar now my man!:thup:

I've had another man tell me it's a must play, wrong weekend for me there unfortunately. Garyinderry said to me the only reason he went was to play it again.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was asked for my best 3 in the "meet the forum" section of the mag and was pleased to see one of my choices, Traigh on the west coast of Scotland make 25 in the Scottish list. £16 for the day when I played it (now you're talking!) and probably the most beautiful natural surroundings I've ever played in.

Amen to that, although you could possibly remove the word 'probably'!
It's an absolute stunner.
I played it last year on a beautifully sunny day but with an average wind speed of about 12 on the Beaufort scale!
I'll never forget that course ............ never.

Slime.