Golf Digest top 100 golf courses 2018 (outside US)

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I've played 19 of the world list, I'd probably debate the order of some of those and even doubt some deserve their place on a world top 100.

I fully expected all the ones I'd played to be in the UK but it turns out I have played one in Canada - the Fairmont Jasper Park, which was a spectacular setting with some good holes but very surprising to see it on the list.

Have played 15 of the Worlds but all UK other than 1 Portuguese one. Pleased to see Swinley Forest in there.
I don't think many of the NZ ones were there in 1980 when I first started playing Golf there.... but then I was happy enough on their 9-hole honesty box tracks with views across the Pacific. Admiring those views cost me countless balls as, on my own, I hadn't a clue where'd they'd gone. haha...

I've managed 14, mainly UK but one in Canada, Banff Springs and one in Bermuda, Mid Ocean. Much as I like Woodhall Spa, I'm not sure how it beats Banff Springs. Not sure how many thousand miles I travelled to play Banff Springs & Mid Ocean, but did find it a little ironic that having travelled that far, I haven't yet made it 15 minutes down the road to St. George's Hill.

makaveli

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've managed 14, mainly UK but one in Canada, Banff Springs and one in Bermuda, Mid Ocean. Much as I like Woodhall Spa, I'm not sure how it beats Banff Springs. Not sure how many thousand miles I travelled to play Banff Springs & Mid Ocean, but did find it a little ironic that having travelled that far, I haven't yet made it 15 minutes down the road to St. George's Hill.

Is Mid Ocean that​ good? Looks like a vacation type course to me...

U

User62651

Even I've managed 8 of those and I think I've only played about 50 18 hole courses in total.
Cruden Bay - played it once entering their Open 'blind', loved it and played quite steady shooting 80 gross with a css 74 I think. It is a bit of a gem with very high dunes, some quirky holes that not all like (I did) but superb greens.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Is Mid Ocean that​ good? Looks like a vacation type course to me...

It's no vacation course, but I'm not sure that it's good a test of golf as some of the others below it. That said, without knowing their judging criteria it's hard to say if it's properly ranked. I'd happily play it again if I'm ever fortunate enough to return.

GMC1981

Club Champion
Visit site
The two Dominican courses on that list were on my radar for this year until we changed our holiday destination . That’s Links golf I could tolerate.:lol:

Maybe next year .