Golf Monthly Top 100

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I always ask folk what their favourite course is, and approx how many courses they've played.

That tells me if I need to smile politely and not listen!🤣🤣🤣🤣

And, all ratings have an element of subjectivity, so feel free to argue 😉
Some of these lists are laughable.
One had Lytham in Scotland and North Berwick above Carnoustie.
They seem to judge how pretty the course/venue is and have sod all to do with a test of golf for good golfers,

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I look at these lists out of interest, but set no store by them.

Luffenham Heath sometimes creeps into the 100 top courses in England. I would put it in the top ten in Leicestershire & Rutland, but no higher than the other 9.
Best value for money in Leicestershire is undoubtedly Charnwood Forest.
£36 weekday green fee, £28 with county card and £26 weekday guest.
Best of all is the society rate. You need only 9 players or more for £26.50 on a weekday for 18 holes.

Charnwood Forest is completely charming and claims "the oldest golf club in Leicestershire". Par 69 and CR 70.3 and SR 121

It is always going to be subjective as the the criteria used by the compiler(s).
I'm just looking for an interesting course. Some courses look good, but are really boring - Belfy Brabazon felt like that to me. I don't find hitting a ball over a lake very interesting.
Forest of Arden was very interesting, but there is one boring par-3 over a lake.

I'm not very interested in putting tick marks to courses from a list that someone unknown to me has compiled. I prefer to listen to the opinions of golfers that I know.

Scraptoft in Leicestershire is excellent value, particularly so if you know a member there who can invite you for free.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Scraptoft in Leicestershire is excellent value, particularly so if you know a member there who can invite you for free.

Risky, you never know who might show up!😁

I know some well travelled golfers who prefer N Berwick over Carnoustie. But therein lies the joy of the discussion.

AussieKB

Visit site
I always ask folk what their favourite course is, and approx how many courses they've played.

That tells me if I need to smile politely and not listen!🤣🤣🤣🤣

And, all ratings have an element of subjectivity, so feel free to argue 😉
Played over 200 in the UK Ireland Spain France, let alone here in OZ.....OZ people ask my favorite course, and it is hard to point one out, so I normally say which one I love for each county, as for Ireland it's a nightmare as I have been lucky to play some their great courses.

But I always say that I have played courses they have never heard of, but are fantastic, only reason they don't hold Pro tournaments is that they do not have the area for the marquees.

Have not told the wife, but am thinking of making another trip over next year while I still have the contacts to play on great courses for free or reduced rates.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know some well travelled golfers who prefer N Berwick over Carnoustie. But therein lies the joy of the discussion.
I used to really enjoy playing Dorking Golf Club but it will never make the best 50,000 golf courses list.

Cut and paste the grass bit of TOC and drop it next to Sellafield and see how well loved it is :unsure:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They seem to judge how pretty the course/venue is and have sod all to do with a test of golf for good golfers,
I might not agree with them all, but I think they can be a good starting point if you don't know an area or where you might want to play. I cannot recall any of the top100 courses that I have played being poor even if the rank order is not the same as I would have them and I have had as much enjoyment from some courses outside as some in. The main problem lies in the fact that entry into the list generally is accompanied by high prices.

Swango1980

Visit site
I'll make a point of watching the Irish Open this year if I can. Despite being pretty close to my doorstep growing up, never played Royal County Down (and probably never likely to given the high fees). But, it has often stood out as No. 1 course in the world in many of these rankings, and the likes of Rickie Fowler refer to his as his favourite course. So, would be nice to finally see it from the perspective of the Sky Broadcast at least.

evemccc

Visit site
I'll make a point of watching the Irish Open this year if I can. Despite being pretty close to my doorstep growing up, never played Royal County Down (and probably never likely to given the high fees). But, it has often stood out as No. 1 course in the world in many of these rankings, and the likes of Rickie Fowler refer to his as his favourite course. So, would be nice to finally see it from the perspective of the Sky Broadcast at least.
One can - or could in 2023 - get on RCD at the end of April for a hundred and something (seventy / eighty…? I forget)

Very much well worth it IMO. I haven’t for one moment regretted spending that money to play it…

Whilst I agree that a number of courses are ridiculously priced and, for me, not worth it based on my conception of ‘value’ etc, I think less than £200 to play one of the very best rated courses in the world is something I was VERY happy to do for approx 4 hours serious joy/entertainment

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Play it on the cheap in the Mourne Golf Club open if you're a GUI member.

Swango1980

Visit site
Play it on the cheap in the Mourne Golf Club open if you're a GUI member.
I'm in Lincolnshire sadly.

On a positive note, it has got me quite a few free rounds at Woodhall Spa (both Hotchkin and Bracken courses) when I've attended the LUGC dinner in the past. Early morning start on Hotchkin, nice lunch, afternoon round on Bracken (trying to finish before it gets dark) and then trying to squeeze into my dinner suit for the dinner :)

The Fader

Visit site
It's all subjective isn't it. I've played c.250 courses so consider myself fairly well travelled.

We are just coming to the end of our Scottish trip to Dumfries and Galloway and played Southerness yesterday.

A top 100 course (just) and whilst it was in terrific nick - our whole party were a little underwhelmed. Very samey with no real stand out holes.

It hasn't made our top 3 for the trip with Moffat, Stranraer and Portpatrick rated more highly by our group. And Wigtownshire gave it a very close run for 4th place!!

Moffat is genuinely a hidden gem and I've not played many better holes than the 5th at Stranraer and the 13th at Portpatrick.

Visit site
One can - or could in 2023 - get on RCD at the end of April for a hundred and something (seventy / eighty…? I forget)

Very much well worth it IMO. I haven’t for one moment regretted spending that money to play it…

Whilst I agree that a number of courses are ridiculously priced and, for me, not worth it based on my conception of ‘value’ etc, I think less than £200 to play one of the very best rated courses in the world is something I was VERY happy to do for approx 4 hours serious joy/entertainment

100% - I played RCD on a late April day, 3 mph of wind, barely a cloud in the sky…

Green fee was £165.
I paid the caddy £100.
Flying with clubs and insurance - £100
Food + Drink £25
Pro Shop: £350

Close to £750 on a round of golf.

And if someone said to me now, there’s a 9am available there tomorrow… I’d do it all over again…

It’s a special place.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Risky, you never know who might show up!😁

Apparently all sorts of ne’er do weels have trodden Scraptoft’s lovely fairways quite recently…😍