Top Links Courses

• Thread starter Deleted member 1418
  • Start date

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The surrounding scenery is amazing castle, hills, tall dunes and snow topped Snowdon range fairly regularly.:cool:

Think the course is a great challenge, the bunker placement is good, like the rough edged bunkers, big greens and just generally the course layout. The course requires long driving to the right place on most holes to miss bunkers or rough, and then a long shot to most of the par 4s in order to score well or hope you have bought your A grade short game to get pars, it is just so relentless. The 2 back to back par 5s you need to birdie as they are short and reachable in 2, I have yet to shot under my handicap at the course.

Bit flat in some areas, but enough elevated tees and holes in the dunes to keep my interest. Wife would not rank it as one of her favourites/best, as to long for her, she prefers Conwy or Dunstanburgh Castle for instance.

The 15th is one of golf's greatest holes, but from memory couldnt remember hardly any of the front 9, except the par 3 (is it the 9th)?

I'd like to go back to see, as wasnt a links officianado at the time, but I think that some of the courses that its rated higher than are well better.

Surrounding views are great, but within the confines of the course, not so much.(y)

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Few I like in some kind of general order

Old Course
Royal Birkdale
North Berwick
Gullane 1 (&2)
New Course
Formby & Hillside
Silloth
Royal Liverpool

Old Course is my favorite however it'd be Birkdale or North Berwick that I'd want to be the member of and play everday. Closely followed by Formby or Hillside.

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
  1. The Old Course
  2. Royal dornoch
  3. Royal porthcawl
  4. Royal St. George’s
  5. Saunton east
  6. St enodoc
  7. North Berwick
  8. Royal Cinque ports
  9. Castle Stuart
  10. nairn

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Obviously all very personal and objective, for me I can’t stand b&b and royal north Devon, you couldn’t pay me to play there again

I also haven’t played anything over in Ireland, but have heard very good things about Tralee, rcd and portrush...I feel a trip coming

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Obviously all very personal and objective, for me I can’t stand b&b and royal north Devon, you couldn’t pay me to play there again

I also haven’t played anything over in Ireland, but have heard very good things about Tralee, rcd and portrush...I feel a trip coming
I’d love to understand why you don’t like b&b. Whilst I disagree around RND I can understand as it’s marmite, but Burnham Saunton and St Enodoc are all very similar.

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’d love to understand why you don’t like b&b. Whilst I disagree around RND I can understand as it’s marmite, but Burnham Saunton and St Enodoc are all very similar.
Good question, it’s not often I don’t like a course, thinking about it:
  • Many blind shots to very narrow fairways - so you hit what you think is a good drive and never see your ball again. 2nd on that par 5 back 9, drive on 18 and a couple of others that I can’t recall well (apologies only played it twice)
  • A couple of the holes just aren’t very pleasing on the eye...looks very rustic without the prettiness
  • Some of the holes (eg that straight par 4 on the front 9 with water right of the fairway) are layouts that don’t make much sense e.g. rough and little bushes in the middle of the fairway
  • It’s an unwelcoming club, the pro shop/bar staff (everyone except the starter who was friendly) were very much looking down their noses at us
Would also add that I played with a friend who really enjoyed it...so I wouldn’t argue, it’s so subjective

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good question, it’s not often I don’t like a course, thinking about it:
  • Many blind shots to very narrow fairways - so you hit what you think is a good drive and never see your ball again. 2nd on that par 5 back 9, drive on 18 and a couple of others that I can’t recall well (apologies only played it twice)
  • A couple of the holes just aren’t very pleasing on the eye...looks very rustic without the prettiness
  • Some of the holes (eg that straight par 4 on the front 9 with water right of the fairway) are layouts that don’t make much sense e.g. rough and little bushes in the middle of the fairway
  • It’s an unwelcoming club, the pro shop/bar staff (everyone except the starter who was friendly) were very much looking down their noses at us
Would also add that I played with a friend who really enjoyed it...so I wouldn’t argue, it’s so subjective

Yeah it’s obviously subjective because most of what you’ve written there is nonsense. 😂

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Yeah it’s ovviously subjective because most of what you’ve written their is nonsense. 😂

In your opinion of course.

I don't understand the love for the Old Course other than its history and aura. I also don't get the love for a relatively uninteresting (IMO) Gullane 1. However others absolutely rave about them. Its horses for courses.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I don't understand the love for the Old Course other than its history and aura. I also don't get the love for a relatively uninteresting (IMO) Gullane 1. However others absolutely rave about them. Its horses for courses.

Yep I agree with you about Gullane #1, it’s that good they don’t play all 18 holes for the Scottish Open🤔

#2 is the better course IMHO

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Yep I agree with you about Gullane #1, it’s that good they don’t play all 18 holes for the Scottish Open🤔

#2 is the better course IMHO
i often wonder about Gullane no1 the flatter holes i quite like, but the ones up and down the hill, i just don't get. Apparently it was all about the views:rolleyes: even back then that old chestnut. def enjoy 2 more. I have a couple of friends who are members and when i first started going down there to play we always played No1, now i ask to play No2, they don't quite get why;)

Wolf

Visit site

I'm in the same boat, I understand the history and it's aura. But As a golf course to look at and play, really don't get it. Admittedly never been there and only going by what I've seen of it on the tv, but never have had desire to go and play it or thought it looks that nice.

Maybe one day I'll actually go up and play it and see what they hype is all about but it's not on my bucket list of courses to play and can't say I'm worried if I never do play it

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It is a "must play" for all avid golfers. I can't deny that. To stand on the first tee and experience the hairs on the back of your neck rising is awesome. The feeling of heading for home, playing back in towards the Auld Grey Toon, its an amazing experience and one I do recommend that you at least try and experience.

However as a golf course. Struggling to think of any "great" golf holes and I'd struggle to get more than one hands worth of fingers of "good" golf holes.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is a "must play" for all avid golfers. I can't deny that. To stand on the first tee and experience the hairs on the back of your neck rising is awesome. The feeling of heading for home, playing back in towards the Auld Grey Toon, its an amazing experience and one I do recommend that you at least try and experience.

However as a golf course. Struggling to think of any "great" golf holes and I'd struggle to get more than one hands worth of fingers of "good" golf holes.
The old course gives me that impression when I see it on TV

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site

How very dare You, a top 100 course being criticised on Here, you'll be stone on a cross by those on here who see it as the greatest thing since sliced bread. :ROFLMAO:

Personally I wouldn't choose it over the local pitch and putt but don't tell anyone on Here. :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted Member 1156

How very dare You, a top 100 course being criticised on Here, you'll be stone on a cross by those on here who see it as the greatest thing since sliced bread. :ROFLMAO:

Personally I wouldn't choose it over the local pitch and putt but don't tell anyone on Here. :ROFLMAO:
Don't worry cabby we already know your opinion.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Top links courses. Only southern based as the north is too far away. (In order of preference)
RSG
Saunton East
RCP
St Enodoc
Saunton West
Royal Porthcawl
Hayling
Burnham Berrow (sorry mendie but hayling is better IMO;);))
Special mention to the back 9 @ Pyle & kenfig and the 6th @ RND which is the finest links hole in England (hyperbole alert!!)