Top 25 Heathland Courses

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I think the lists are fairly accurate on top heathlands. For me
1. Sunningdale New is top, followed closely by a split with
2. Sunningdale Old, Swinley, Hankley, Woodhall, St George's Hill. Next close group:
3: West Hill, Liphook, Hindhead, Woking, Worplesdon, Broadstone, Ferndown, Parkstone, Wentworth East
4. Beau Desert (only played once and loved it so maybe could go up the group above), Blackmoor, Camberley, Ladybank, North Hants

How do you classify courses like Wentworth West - clearly was heathland but has lost a good deal of that feel.

I do like the idea of cramming 20 courses into your top 5 though. Brilliant idea. Could you expand it to a top 200?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
One course nobody had mentioned yet, almost certainly outside the top 20, but worth an honourable mention

Huntercombe

Play it each December with my society , love to play it in the summer.

My personal top 6 of the ones I’ve played

Swinley Forest ( just golfing heaven)
Liphook
Berkshire Red
West hill
Berkshire Blue
Camberley

Looking forward to adding both Sunningdale courses to the list next year
Huntercombe is more parkland than heathland in my opinion.

You really didn’t like Hankley did you ?:whistle:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I think the lists are fairly accurate on top heathlands. For me
1. Sunningdale New is top, followed closely by a split with
2. Sunningdale Old, Swinley, Hankley, Woodhall, St George's Hill. Next close group:
3: West Hill, Liphook, Hindhead, Woking, Worplesdon, Broadstone, Ferndown, Parkstone, Wentworth East
4. Beau Desert (only played once and loved it so maybe could go up the group above), Blackmoor, Camberley, Ladybank, North Hants

How do you classify courses like Wentworth West - clearly was heathland but has lost a good deal of that feel.
Course that should be top of list including West Hill etc is Blairgowrie. Real stunner. Personally was a bit disappointed with Ladybank.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Huntercombe is more parkland than heathland in my opinion.

You really didn’t like Hankley did you ?:whistle:

It’s a bit of both, probably one that stands out as being a bit different and refusing to be pigeon holed.

Hankley is undoubtably a fine course, but the only time I’ve played it, it was too tough for a player of my ability. Totally beat me up

I felt I could score at The others hence the personal opinion rating

I’d love Blackmoor to be on my doorstep 👍