Bucket list courses

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
I've never thought of myself as good enough to play the top courses out there but...
Just been invited to play RCD and am so excited. I will probably be dismantled by this course but am so excited to play it, what other sport can you play at the best venues as an absolute hacker? Got me thinking what are the top courses I can play? I probably prefer parkland but also accept the brillance of links golf, so here is my personal top five to tick off
1 Sunningdale old.
2. Gleneagles Queens
3. Turnberry
4. Muirfeild
5. Old head.
Might play all of them, might never play any of them but probably the first time I've even considered a bucket list of courses.Whats your bucket list fellow forumers and if anyone is organising an outing at Sunningdale put me on the list, I would love to play there.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Old Head is the one from your list I haven't played... the others are all great places to play regardless of how well you score, as the experience of being there is so good. (If that is your thing, and you can afford the fees!!)

I've been lucky and got to many places i wanted too. Currently, I need to complete the Open Rota. Just Troon and Prestwick left to go. Tough places to get in, like Loch Lomond, Queenwood and Rye are on the list.

I'm sure there are others!!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
RCD is a wonderful course. It is a big boy links, with forced carries and blind shots, and on a windy day or if your game is off, you will need a decent supply of ammunition to get round.

I am not a fan of Old Head which, although spectacular, is a course designed for Americans helicoptering in. I would replace it with somewhere like Royal Dornoch for Portrush (both courses).

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good list @chico (y)

Sunningdale
Woburn
Le Golf National
Crans sur Sierre

I'm happy in that I don't lie awake at night craving to play these but it would be pretty nice to play them all :D.

D

Deleted member 21258

Must do before I die(2,3 unlikely due to cost):-

Hillside
Swinley Forest
Gleneagles
The Machrie
Hainault Forest

D

Deleted member 1147

My top 5 bucketlist courses in the UK&I (as there are too many around the world to mention):

1 - The Old Course - because eventually I've got to give it a go
2 - RCD - as everyone seems to think it's amazing
3 - Carnoustie - I enjoyed my visit there for the Open
4 - Royal Portrush, Dunluce - ditto Carnoustie
5 - Muirfield - always seems to host a brilliant Open

My top 5 played:

Swinley
Sunningdale Old & New
Hillside
Royal Porthcawl

D

Deleted member 3432

I would like to play the Old Course but other than that not really interested in travelling round the country just to tick off a list.

Fortunate to play at a great track that doesn't play the same two days in a row so that is all I need to keep me coming back week after week.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Must do before I die(2,3 unlikely due to cost):-

Hillside
Swinley Forest
Gleneagles
The Machrie
Hainault Forest
Gleneagles is £90 per person (for any of the courses) on a twilight rate in the summer (or was this year) - we played the Queens in July - teed off at 5pm and barely saw anyone else on the course - it's lovely.

Not sure I have any bucket list courses left, to me a bucket list course is one I haven't played and am desperate to play.

I will play the Old Course again at some point (worth every penny) and I want to play the Valley at Royal Portrush and the wee Annesley Links at Royal County Down again at some point as both courses have been altered/improved since I was in Northern Ireland last and I loved them both - no ambition to play either of the Championship courses at those venues though.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
RCD is a wonderful course. It is a big boy links, with forced carries and blind shots, and on a windy day or if your game is off, you will need a decent supply of ammunition to get round.

I am not a fan of Old Head which, although spectacular, is a course designed for Americans helicoptering in. I would replace it with somewhere like Royal Dornoch for Portrush (both courses).
Cheers Ethan, I'm not a great golfer so all these courses will destroy me it's just I find them aesthetically pleasing. I picked Old Head purely on the look from the air.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I would like to play the Old Course but other than that not really interested in travelling round the country just to tick off a list.

Fortunate to play at a great track that doesn't play the same two days in a row so that is all I need to keep me coming back week after week.
I'm with you there. Never played an Open venue, not really fussed about playing these "top" courses, I'd rather play a local open on a 9 holer than head round the country paying £200+ for a bounce game

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers Ethan, I'm not a great golfer so all these courses will destroy me it's just I find them aesthetically pleasing. I picked Old Head purely on the look from the air.

I am originally from NI and a few years ago I arranged a game during the Open Week at RCD for a colleague from Scotland. Good player, 1 handicap at the time. He played with a 17 handicapper on a moderately windy day. He told me the 17 had a highish slice and the wind just murdered him. He said he didn't realise a normal looking golf bag could hold that number of balls.

Last edited:

G1z1

Visit site
4 courses i will try and get in this year are.

1. trump alisa
2. gleneagles kings
3.gleneagles queens
4. st andrews old course