Hampshire tour advice sought

Klimski

Visit site
Hi all, after all the great advice from members that led to a succesful mini tour of Fife, my touring foursome is looking at Hampshire for next year. (Also looking a the Czech Republic, but that's a different thread).

So we are looking at playing three courses in three days, and a mix of experiences. Our handicaps are 18-36, and we like to play for fun rather than scores. We want to avoid courses that are waaay too hard.

There are courses we are looking at, any advice is welcome:

'Authentic/old school heathland/parkland experience (probably play only one of there, unless....):
- New Forest
- Bramshaw Forest Course
- Burley golf club

Coastal/Links (very much an either/or question):
- Barton on Sea
- Hayling (on the very top end of our green fee budget)

Wildcard:
- Shanklin & Sandown Golf Club

Any and all opinions are welcome!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If the budget will stretch to it then try and play Brokenhurst Manor it is a fabulous course. Next on my list would be Hayling Island but if the wind blows (and it usually does) it may meet your "too haaard" description. Personally not such a fan of Barton on Sea

Both courses at Bramshaw would fit your bill imo, albeit they are very different. Id choose the Forest course over Burley and New Forest but all have their charms (theres a few NF members on here who may be able to give you a better current idea)

More than 30 years since I played on the IOW so will leave that to others!

where are you planning to stay and at what time of year? as travelling time may impact choices if in the summer holidays etc

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi, the three forest courses are all really enjoyable and are all worth playing.

The only caveat I would add is that Burley is a 9 hole course with two tees on each hole so there's always the risk of things getting busy when you reach the tenth.

Klimski

Visit site
Thanks for the great replies! I read that Hayling requires handicap cards - this will probably rule out one of our foursome... Had a quick look at Brokenhurst and it does look enticing. We will be staying/playing in May most likely, perhaps very early June. Thanks again and keep it coming!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
If you do decide on Hayling, don't mention this forum. The Help For Heroes charity day is there in October and as at least 80 forumers are playing, there's a good chance all GM forumers will be blackmailed shortly afterwards! ?

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm obviously biased but from what you're describing I would say New Forest would be your best bet. Its easy enough for the higher players to bump it round but still a decent test for the better players.
Bramshaw Manor is a nice parkland but not cheap, the Forest course is also decent but can be a bit rough in places, and some of the greens are fenced to keep the wildlife off.
Burley I've not played but its a 9 hole played from 2 sets of tees to make the 18.

Not played Barton but heard only good things about it, although apparently it can be brutal when the wind gets up.
Hayling is a truly excellent links and if you get the chance you should take it.

Depending where you're based and what you're looking to play Southampton Municipal is worth looking at, don't be fooled by the municipal tag its a very good course and a tough test of golf. Also got a decent fun 9 hole there too.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Depending on where you're staying I've played Boundary Lakes a few times at the Ageas Bowl. Always seemed reasonable condition and definitely has the feel of being designed to suit corporate/societies. Does get a bit clogged up with 2 par 3s sandwiching a short par 4 in the middle. But is definitely a fair test for the lesser player. I'd imagine it'd be a bit dull for anyone single figures or better though!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Aa SaintHacker said, Southampton Muni will suprise you. Some of the holes are very good...

If budget allows Stoneham, you should go there.

New Forest is well worth the visit. Expect ponies etc and a little horse poo etc, but its the forest! Excellent value and great fun.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
And if you play the New Forest, be sure to have dinner at La Pergola, which I think is one of the best Italian restaurants in the South of England.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
If you do decide on Hayling, don't mention this forum. The Help For Heroes charity day is there in October and as at least 80 forumers are playing, there's a good chance all GM forumers will be blackmailed shortly afterwards! ?

Will they take incriminating photographs of us in the changing rooms then? ? ?

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very much agree with some of the points above. Southampton Muni is a really good course, a decent test. I really like New Forest, me and my Dad play there often. And La Pergola is indeed a fantastic restaurant!

Boundary Lakes is okay but I don't think its worth the money (£35 during the day). There are better courses you could play for that money and it feels a bit forced in places. (The 1st is a prime example as is the stretch from 9-11 referred to by hairball)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the great replies! I read that Hayling requires handicap cards - this will probably rule out one of our foursome...

They won't ask to see them, unless your non handicapped friend stands there slobbering like a lobotomy recipient, or is wearing a tutu and Wellington boots to play in.
Go for it, it's a great course.