Cornwall advice sought

Klimski

Visit site
Hi all, so my touring group has decided that next May we'll be visiting Cornwall. Three full days and a morning, handicaps 18-36 range, looking for suitable courses with a bit of history and nice views. Also, we're always on a bit of a budget, so 60 quid is around the max for greenfees.

One course we have decided we MUST play is Mullion, that'll be our Friday venue. Now, I'm looking for tips for the Thursday (on the drive down from Bristol airport) and Saturday. Thursday candidates are Launceston, St Enedoc Holywell and perhaps moving in another direction: Okehampton or Yelverton. In fact, anywhere on the drive down would work, and our two high handicappers have requested a not too strenuous challenge on the first day.

Saturday we are looking into Falmouth, Newquay, Carlyon Bay, St Austell or Looe, Whistand Bay - or?

Sunday morning I am thinking of Gillyflower 9 holes, Trevose Headland or? (this also depends on where we're staying)

I am really getting into the research so any tips and personal experiences are much apprectiated. Also for a nice place to stay as a hub. It's quite a lot of travel by car which isn't an issue per se, but it can feel like wasted time on a short trip.

Thanks in advance!

The Fader

Visit site
China Fleet fits the bill for Thursday.

Easily accessible - just near the Taymar Bridge. Green fee well inside your budget.

Not too testing but a few interesting holes, especially the Par 3's.

First is a bit "micky" because of the driving range but everything after that is just fine.

Also maybe consider St.Mellion - 36 holes. The Kernow is fun, quirky and short. The Nicklaus is a beast but would be a must play for me

Klimski

Visit site
Cheers Fader. Hadn't considered China Fleet and will look into that. St Mellion strangely enough doesn't resonate with me. I tend to shy away from large resorts and the kind of US flavour. I love quirky, old, historic golf courses.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mullion, some of the best views in golf in England. You won’t be disappointed. A bit of a climb back up the 9th though. When I played Yelverton it was covered in every type of animal ? known, a decent track although can be open to the elements up on the moors. As someone else said China Fleet would be a good opener. One hole (14th) has a longish carry over water from the tee if you have some very short hitters.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Cheers Fader. Hadn't considered China Fleet and will look into that. St Mellion strangely enough doesn't resonate with me. I tend to shy away from large resorts and the kind of US flavour. I love quirky, old, historic golf courses.

St Mellion does not have a US resort feel though there is a hotel there, the course especially the Nicklaus are tight, very interesting courses. It is up there as the hardest course, yes most enjoyable I have every played. It was a tour venue going back 20 years or so, I also watched the English Amateur there when Paul Casey beat Simon Dyson. Absolutely cracking course.

I would agree with China Fleet, 1st hole aside, a very enjoyable course and some nice views of the Tamar. Perranporth has too many blind shots for me, but other I know absolutely love the course. Falmouth (if you can be bothered to drive that far) is a park land, but has amazing views of the town and ocean, a very pleasant course

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Tahidi Park is a decent track too. And not too difficult.

If you want a good laugh for an hour, you could also play Famouse Nine at Redruth just up the road. The artificial green are comical.

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi all, so my touring group has decided that next May we'll be visiting Cornwall. Three full days and a morning, handicaps 18-36 range, looking for suitable courses with a bit of history and nice views. Also, we're always on a bit of a budget, so 60 quid is around the max for greenfees.

One course we have decided we MUST play is Mullion, that'll be our Friday venue. Now, I'm looking for tips for the Thursday (on the drive down from Bristol airport) and Saturday. Thursday candidates are Launceston, St Enedoc Holywell and perhaps moving in another direction: Okehampton or Yelverton. In fact, anywhere on the drive down would work, and our two high handicappers have requested a not too strenuous challenge on the first day.

Saturday we are looking into Falmouth, Newquay, Carlyon Bay, St Austell or Looe, Whistand Bay - or?

Sunday morning I am thinking of Gillyflower 9 holes, Trevose Headland or? (this also depends on where we're staying)

I am really getting into the research so any tips and personal experiences are much apprectiated. Also for a nice place to stay as a hub. It's quite a lot of travel by car which isn't an issue per se, but it can feel like wasted time on a short trip.

Thanks in advance!

I‘m playing Okehampton this week, for the same reason, ie it’s on the way to Cornwall. I’ll let you know what it’s like. Newquay is good and views spectacular but you can’t book for Saturdays. They told me it’s comps day Saturdays.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I‘m playing Okehampton this week, for the same reason, ie it’s on the way to Cornwall. I’ll let you know what it’s like. Newquay is good and views spectacular but you can’t book for Saturdays. They told me it’s comps day Saturdays.

Okehampton is veeery hilly, you need to be confident playing of slopes as that will pretty much be every shot. Also have a par 3 about 100 yards with maybe 60 foot drop, which is quite fun to work out what you're hitting

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you would like a game at a fairly easy course near Bristol Airport then Woodspring might fit the bill, Clevedon is a nice course and not far.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I missed the part about golf clubs on the way down. I grew up in Devon and have played pretty much every course in the county.

From Bristol you will be coming down the M5 then A38, depends how far you would want to redirect yourself, anything in North Devon will be a significant detour, Okehampton would be best part of an hour.

Not too far from the main roads, which would be my recommendations:

East Devon (Budleigh Salterton) not sure of the green fees, but a fantastic course easily top 3 in the county, mainly heathland, a bit of parkland and some fantastic views

Teignmouth a heathland course on the cliff tops, excellent design (Mckenzie designed) highly enjoyable

Teign Valley, a parkland course on the edge of Dartmoor, this was my home club growing up, not generally thought of as a top course, but IMO is very much overlooked, bar the bottom 5 holes in the "meadow" the holes are all unique with some real gems. Probably the cheapest option, some great views of the countryside and valley especially form the 6th green looking back, the 8th hole is the first and I believe only ever hole in one on a Par 5 and the longest ever hole in one. Plus as you look across the valley you will see Rydon and make out the outline of am iron age fort

Dartmouth, a real test of a course, but a fantastic course, not on the coast as the name would suggest but lovely countryside views and feeling, and then if you have time you can get into Dartmouth town which is beautiful

Tiverton, a little bit off of the track, but a true moorland course which are as rare as hens teeth, unfortunately as I think moorland probably makes the best ground for golf.

as an side I think Sidmouth is one of the oldest clubs in England, not the oldest obviously but very old if you wanted one that shows what old clubs look like.

D-S

Visit site
Tiverton, a little bit off of the track, but a true moorland course which are as rare as hens teeth, unfortunately as I think moorland probably makes the best ground for golf.

as an side I think Sidmouth is one of the oldest clubs in England, not the oldest obviously but very old if you wanted one that shows what old clubs look like.
I don’t think you could ever describe Tiverton as Moorland, it is pure parkland - maybe you’re thinking of Yelverton or Wrangaton.