Scotland Fife trip advice sought

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi all, so the trip happened over the course of last weekend. And here's the quick report:
- Kinghorn - gale force winds and intermittent showers, I had great fun and would have loved to play all 18 holes, but the others suggested we skip four holes on the back nine. I really, really loved the course, the views, fast greens. Hope to return someday when the wind isn't that hard and paly all 18.
- Eden Course (St Andrews Links). Played Greensomes, very much enjoyed the course and the entire St Andrews experience (Himalayas in the morning etc). The sun was out, a gentle breeze blowing and if playing solo, I'm sure I would've played my handicap. For me though, not a course I am aching to play again, but very enjoyable for our entire group.
- Anstruther Golf Club - a bit foggy and damp, but what a lovely cliffside course. I haven't had that many laughs on course in a very long time. Got a bogey on the infamous 'Rockies' par three with my tee shot of the trip: a gentle 210 yd draw that started over the top of the cliff only to curl down to a two bounce greenside lie. Missed the par putt, but hey: 4 is a result there! Highly recommended to anyone.

Once again, thanks for the advice. Enjoy the season!
Excellent but you have missed the most important aspect!
we have some Dutch friends and apart from being a great laugh you never mentioned whether you drank St Andrews dry. hope you all enjoyed your time in Fife.

Klimski

Visit site
Excellent but you have missed the most important aspect!
we have some Dutch friends and apart from being a great laugh you never mentioned whether you drank St Andrews dry. hope you all enjoyed your time in Fife.

Unfortunately we're too grown up and responsible to drink any town dry ;) But we did enjoy a pint - or two in The Bank Anstruther and the Jigger Inn in St Andrews. Favorite beer of the trip: Northern Light Ale by the Orkney brewery.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Unfortunately we're too grown up and responsible to drink any town dry ;) But we did enjoy a pint - or two in The Bank Anstruther and the Jigger Inn in St Andrews. Favorite beer of the trip: Northern Light Ale by the Orkney brewery.
Excellent.

I mentioned The Bank @Anstruther to go and stay. We stay there each year and really enjoy the atmosphere and real ales.

Skytot

Visit site
Klimski this is a great thread thanks . Me are my pal are thinking of treating another oal
Of ours next year to a Scottish golfing break next year for his 60th . Can you give me any links to your accommodation please . Also any tips you learnt from your trip.
PS , has anyone flew from Manchester and then hired a car ? Don’t fancy the 5 + hrs road trip

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Klimski this is a great thread thanks . Me are my pal are thinking of treating another oal
Of ours next year to a Scottish golfing break next year for his 60th . Can you give me any links to your accommodation please . Also any tips you learnt from your trip.
PS , has anyone flew from Manchester and then hired a car ? Don’t fancy the 5 + hrs road trip
I have not travel by plane.I travel from Cumbria , 30 minutes from Junction 36 so an extra 30 minutes than Manchester. However 5 hours will get you to Fife and perhaps a little further so not sure where you plan to go. Taking into account getting to Manchester Airport, queuing time, getting through with clubs, getting through at Scottish Airport, plus hire car waiting time a car it a better option in my opinion. You could always break the journey and play Carlisle or Lanark, both close to the Motorway or Silloth if you want a class course but 30 minutes fro The Motorway. Carlisle is an excellent course, very welcoming and less than 5 minutes.

Not sure where you are heading in Scotland and what you are looking for at night.
The Bank @Anstruther is highly recommended, plenty of class courses nearby, St Andrews 20 minutes away.
Feel free to PM for further details but there are some locals more knowledgeable than I but first I think you need to state the area you are hoping to play golf, standard, price you want to pay for a round.

Hope this is a starting point and I have 5 trips planned this year!

Skytot

Visit site
3of the tee, thanks for your reply and I think your advice about Mcr airport is excellent. Also great idea about breaking the journey up around Carlisle ect .

Klimski

Visit site
For me the major choice became: stay around St Andrews and play Fife courses or do the Golf Coast (Musselburgh etc). Now that I've been to Fife I want to go there again and play three more courses. However I do have a bucket list course on the Golf Coast: Cullen! And our group has plans to do something totally different next: a trip to the Czech Republic to play their two oldest courses, both from 1904!!

Klimski

Visit site
Oh and Skytot, one tip: at our age doing five hours or so of travel means that a full 18 holes on the same day is a bit much. Best to stick to 9 holes on the travel day in.

Skytot

Visit site
Oh and Skytot, one tip: at our age doing five hours or so of travel means that a full 18 holes on the same day is a bit much. Best to stick to 9 holes on the travel day in.
Cheers pal, is there a nice 9 hole course you might be able to recommend in St Andrews ?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
For me the major choice became: stay around St Andrews and play Fife courses or do the Golf Coast (Musselburgh etc). Now that I've been to Fife I want to go there again and play three more courses. However I do have a bucket list course on the Golf Coast: Cullen! And our group has plans to do something totally different next: a trip to the Czech Republic to play their two oldest courses, both from 1904!!
Mmm - Cullen is on the Moray Firth - Gullane is on the Firth of Forth (Golf Coast)

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’d second Anstruther suggestion. It’s only £15 and the walk along the coastline is breathtaking, never mind the golf.
Another for Anstruther AND it is 400 metres from The Bank which I also recommend to stay. one of the best chippies in Scotland in Anstruther, tad overrated for me but a better one between The Bank and Waterfront which is far less crowded.

Anstruther Golf Club has a good food choice and real ale