Where to Play - Near St Austell

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Down in Cornwall next week and looking for a track or two to have a knock whilst down there. From what I have gathered from the past Carlyon Bay seems to be 'nailed-on' certainty - but if you had to choose a couple of tracks within easy striking distance of St Austell what would they be?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Carlyon Bay is OK, if cliff views are a novelty then the start is good, the rest of the course is OK, nothing to write home about but worth playing if you're in the area.
St Austell has just held the County Champs last week, again an OK course to play if you're there.
Depends how far you wish to travel really, both those will be pleasant enough if you want to stay local.
Happy to travel maybe up to 45mins if we go close to a town or pleasant village that my Mrs can have a good ferret around...if she doesn't walk the course with me.

NearHull

Visit site
Truro is an often ignored gem. IIRC is a 68, but you will need to be on your game to get round with your handicap intact.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
St Austell GC is quite interesting, with some 'interesting' features. Was my FiL's home course and he (and my ex) are in the churchyard visible from the clubhouse!
Carlyon Bay already mentioned as worthwhile. And does (well, used to do) a really good Sunday Roast meal.
I played Truro, but don't remember much of it (FiL was terminal in the hospital at the time).
A trip to Rock and St Enedoc was always the highlight of my 'Cornish' trips. and perhaps Trevose on the Padstow (Steinsville!) side of the Camel River.
Llanhydroc apparently worth a visit also, though i've never played it.
Otherwise, simply have a rest from Golf! There's plenty of other interesting stuff in the neighbourhood - Heligan Gardens, Eden Project (built in the clay pits my FiL was 'responsible for' after they were exhausted); Padstow; Camel Trail cycling from Wadebridge; Charlestown and Fowey etc. Oh and there's plenty of nice beer to be had in the area!
Unfortunately, St Austell itself is pretty dire as a town imo! But a good base for visiting far more interesting places!

Last edited:

The Fader

Visit site
Stretches your 45 mins a little but it would be St. Mellion Nicklaus course for me.

But take something near your A-game!!!