Cornwall advice sought

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
I missed the part about golf clubs on the way down. I grew up in Devon and have played pretty much every course in the county.

From Bristol you will be coming down the M5 then A38, depends how far you would want to redirect yourself, anything in North Devon will be a significant detour, Okehampton would be best part of an hour.

Not too far from the main roads, which would be my recommendations:

East Devon (Budleigh Salterton) not sure of the green fees, but a fantastic course easily top 3 in the county, mainly heathland, a bit of parkland and some fantastic views

Teignmouth a heathland course on the cliff tops, excellent design (Mckenzie designed) highly enjoyable

Teign Valley, a parkland course on the edge of Dartmoor, this was my home club growing up, not generally thought of as a top course, but IMO is very much overlooked, bar the bottom 5 holes in the "meadow" the holes are all unique with some real gems. Probably the cheapest option, some great views of the countryside and valley especially form the 6th green looking back, the 8th hole is the first and I believe only ever hole in one on a Par 5 and the longest ever hole in one. Plus as you look across the valley you will see Rydon and make out the outline of am iron age fort

Dartmouth, a real test of a course, but a fantastic course, not on the coast as the name would suggest but lovely countryside views and feeling, and then if you have time you can get into Dartmouth town which is beautiful

Tiverton, a little bit off of the track, but a true moorland course which are as rare as hens teeth, unfortunately as I think moorland probably makes the best ground for golf.

as an side I think Sidmouth is one of the oldest clubs in England, not the oldest obviously but very old if you wanted one that shows what old clubs look like.

I’m a bit confused. You say Okehampton is an hour detour, but I travel to Newquay often and always go M5, A30, right past Okehampton.
I‘m not questioning your knowledge, you’re from Devon not me, but even AA Route Planner said A30 was slightly shorter journey than A38.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
you are absolutely right, I am from just West of Exeter, and so going to Okehampton would be a detour for me, but if you coming from outside the county then it doesn't make much difference

Haven't lived there for 12 years and I still plan routes from my village

Klimski

Visit site
Okay, things are shaping up nicely... thanks for all the words of advice. For now, it like this will be the line up - it looks like a 'three coasts of Cornwall tour':

- Thursday, arrive at Bristol Airport, drive down to St Enodoc, play the Holywell course there. Afterwards, drive to Lostwithiel to the Crown Inn to sleep. (one of our group member came up with Holywell as nice warm up course, and I agree)

- Friday, drive down to Mullion, play 18, chill out and back to the pub.

- Saturday, play 18 at Carlyon Bay (perhaps even twilight after 3 pm)

- Sunday, play 9 holes at Gillyflower golf and drive to Airport and fly home.

I know Gillyflower isn't an old course, but its ecological approach is appealing to our group.

Any critiques are welcome!

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Okay, things are shaping up nicely... thanks for all the words of advice. For now, it like this will be the line up - it looks like a 'three coasts of Cornwall tour':

- Thursday, arrive at Bristol Airport, drive down to St Enodoc, play the Holywell course there. Afterwards, drive to Lostwithiel to the Crown Inn to sleep. (one of our group member came up with Holywell as nice warm up course, and I agree)

I know Gillyflower isn't an old course, but its ecological approach is appealing to our group.

Would like a review of all courses when you get back.
Have a great time! ?

hombre_paulo

Medal Winner
Visit site

Gillyflower is 9 holes from what was Lostwithiel golf course - nothing really ecological or new about it. Some decent holes and challenging holes though

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
I know you’re not playing Okehampton now, but we did today. Weather turned very bad towards the end but I would highly recommend 18 holes here. Pro shop well stocked and friendly, clubhouse comfortable and again friendly. Course quite sloping but in excellent condition with lots of interesting holes. Big thumbs up from me.

Visit site
Hi, just seen this thread. Mullion was my home track and played all the top Cornwall courses when I lived in the UK. Mullion will be great, if not too windy or foggy. If you get a gin clear day, light winds, it’s a beauty, a true hidden gem. Holes 1 to 5 ease you in, then 6 to 12 are the best holes, 7th off the back tee is stunning, and 10 is brilliant fun. 13 to 18 is all about keeping your card together before chilling in the friendly bar afterwards. I’d say you have made the right choices based on handicaps. There are others great courses to choose from, but would definitely be a tough challenge given the handicap range. Enjoy, hope weather is kind to you.

Klimski

Visit site
Thanks Aussie Swinger, hope the weather is kind at Mullion. We will be playing it as a Texas Scramble - us four against par - so that should mitigate any hcp issues. Also, we'll bring plenty of balls..haha. Thanks for the input!

Klimski

Visit site
Hi all, just reporting back with three mini reviews:

St Enodoc Holywell Course: the first course we played. Just as we drove up, the clouds parted and we enjoyed a sunny but windy afternoon. It is a great kick off course for a mini tour. Still quite a walk, with the hilly countours. Lots of interesting holes and we found it a fair challenge: punishing woeful shots but not so much on shots that are just a bit offline or off distance. Greens ran true and quite quick. Our highest handicapper played a career round, scoring 50 stableford points!! Highly recommended for anyone. Only caveat: I would have loved to see the sea from somewhere. But for that one needs to play the Church course, which is a different kettle of fish. Final point: the clubhouse is very nice, and everyone was most welcoming to this group of Dutch amateurs.

Mullion Golf Club: day two, and what a thrilling course! A much sterner challenge than Holywell, but I played my best golf there - the surroundings inspired me I guess. We played a foursomes match there and got round in just over 4 hours. The sun was out, wind was mild, and we had one impressive shower. I really love this course, it's so undulating but very fair. It wasn't very linksy because of all the rain making the course very soft. So I imagine in summer it's radically different. Had a nice spot of affordable lunch before teeing off. And, I was happy to see that the course was very busy on a Friday. The only drawback to the course is that various holes cross over one another, which leads to some confusion and delays. Finally, I bought a driver headcover becuase Mullion has the best logo!

Carlyon Bay Golf Club: final day and course. Slightly unexpectedly, this was everyone's favourite course - not just on this tour but ever played. Stunning scenery, which were hard to catch in photographs, great conditioning, pleasant reception. Fun warm up area (fetch your own balls range: old school!). Around hole 12 we were all feeling tired from playing so much golf in three days but the sun, the company and the lovely course kept us going. I'm sure I would post a much better score if I were to play it again because it is quite forgiving, although the greens are well protected.

As for a favourite? Carlyon is the course I'd love to play again. But it's a toss up between that and Mullion.

Thanks for all the tips from forum members, we had a great tour. Next year: Kent, Northumberland, Scotland (again) or even Czech Republic? Who know, I will keep you posted.