Scotland golf trip advice sought

OldMate

Head Pro
Visit site
I've finally got around to doing something about this after a fairly busy patch at work. I'm taking a three day weekend next week and heading up by train to play Royal Birkdale, Turnberry and then either Prestwick or Dundonald. Unfortunately I've left my run too late and Troon doesn't accept visitors after about early October, hence the decision to go up by train via Birkdale.

I've had to make a couple of sacrifices - I can only get on Western Gailes on Friday so am missing out on that to play Royal Birkdale instead. I'm tossing up whether to play Prestwick on the Sunday given that there was a strong suggestion that winter mats/playing from first cut will be in effect. Do you think that it sounds crazy to pay £110 to play from mats? I'm keen to work my way through the 14 Open courses which is the main reason I'm still considering playing Prestwick. The main alternative on a Sunday seems to be Dundonald which is also a lot cheaper (around £40 I think).

As a separate issue, I'm hoping that the cold snap that arrived yesterday isn't a sign of things to come...

briannn

Hacker
Visit site
You should have a look on tee off times . I think they do turnberry and dundonald on there ,although im not sure about the prices

OldMate

Head Pro
Visit site
You should have a look on tee off times . I think they do turnberry and dundonald on there ,although im not sure about the prices

Cheers - just had a look and the prices are generally the same as the relevant course's website (and some appear to be a bit higher).