Newcastle coast tour advice sought

Klimski

Visit site
Hi all, next year our touring foursome is looking to tour either the Harwich area or the coast just north of Newcastle. Now, we have a little wish list for that area: I have three coastal courses lined up, but am looking for a nice heathland/parkland course to complete the roster. Within 30 mins of Newcastle, as we will be playing it on departure day. Our three coastal options are: Bamburgh Castle, Dunstanburgh Castle and Seahouses. We like quirky, old (100+ years old or thereabouts), not too difficult (hcp 18-30), affordable (60 quid or less for 18 holes).

I have heard good things about: Northumberland GC, Gosforth (Bridal Path?), Tynemouth... and we are open to suggestions!

Best, Jasper, touring captain of The Fairway Striders.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've played Northumberland a few times, nice course but if wet it can play long for your higher handicappers.
I've heard great things about Brancepeth Castle but not played it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
First off, 3 good choices in Bamburgh, Dunstanburgh and Seahouses. You will have fun at those.

We don't have heathland courses really so the other options will be Parkland.

I like Gosforth, definitely quirky at times and a very friendly set up. I haven't played the other 2.

I would suggest looking at Whitley Bay, really good course, and as per @Voyager EMH , if you are heading south then Brancepeth is a cracker of a course.

You mention being within 30 minutes of Newcastle but if you have been playing up the coast, maybe staying up there, then play Alnmouth (Foxton). That would certainly fit the brief and you would pass it on the way down.

Springveldt

Visit site
Hi all, next year our touring foursome is looking to tour either the Harwich area or the coast just north of Newcastle. Now, we have a little wish list for that area: I have three coastal courses lined up, but am looking for a nice heathland/parkland course to complete the roster. Within 30 mins of Newcastle, as we will be playing it on departure day. Our three coastal options are: Bamburgh Castle, Dunstanburgh Castle and Seahouses. We like quirky, old (100+ years old or thereabouts), not too difficult (hcp 18-30), affordable (60 quid or less for 18 holes).

I have heard good things about: Northumberland GC, Gosforth (Bridal Path?), Tynemouth... and we are open to suggestions!

Best, Jasper, touring captain of The Fairway Striders.
Northumberland is probably the only heathland(ish) course around here. I've played it quite a few times and it's a lovely course, usually in great condition (think they have suffered with their greens the last 2 years though) but I always felt the visitor green fees were out of whack with the rest of the courses around it. I've just had a check though and you are now looking at £50 for Hexham, Whitley Bay and Ponteland (all great courses) so Northumberland being £60 isn't so out of place now.

Gosforth (Bridle Path) is nice, it's not a difficult course and it's usually quite cheap to play as well. You also have City Of Newcastle just across the road from the Bridle Path which is also good. Tynemouth, I've only played it once but it was in good condition and it felt wide open compared to my home course. You will have plenty of options around Newcastle though, we have a load of courses up here that are all easy to get to and reasonably priced.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
If I remember correctly you will be visiting from abroad, if I am incorrect and you are members of English golf clubs I would recommend you sign up for the English County Card Scheme, great discounts to be had, theoretically participating courses in Northumberland charge £15 for a once a year visit unfortunately some don't stick to this or just don't get back to you.

Klimski

Visit site
It's correct, we will be ferrying in from The Netherlands. We're trying out a new format: ferry in and out. That's why we're eying up Harwich, Newcastle and at some point the Dover area.

The Fader

Visit site
Just done a similar tour.

Really enjoyed Bamburgh and Dunstanburgh.

I wouldn't rush back to Seahouses. The clifftop holes are pretty good with 2 great par 3's but holes 3-8 over the road are very bland.

If you can face another 30 minutes drive I would replace Seahouses with Eyemouth.

We played Goswick and despite it's reputation it didn't blow us away. Good course but pricey for what it delivers.

Alnmouth Foxton Hall would be a must play - beautifully kept. A parkland course with sea views on back 9.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just done a similar tour.

Really enjoyed Bamburgh and Dunstanburgh.

I wouldn't rush back to Seahouses. The clifftop holes are pretty good with 2 great par 3's but holes 3-8 over the road are very bland.

If you can face another 30 minutes drive I would replace Seahouses with Eyemouth.

We played Goswick and despite it's reputation it didn't blow us away. Good course but pricey for what it delivers.

Alnmouth Foxton Hall would be a must play - beautifully kept. A parkland course with sea views on back 9.
The first person I've ever heard say that Goswick wasn't excellent.

I play Eyemouth quite often but Goswick is so much better than Euemouth.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you are getting the ferry from North Shields then Tynemouth, Whitley Bay, and Gosforth are very handy to play as a last course. If time after your last round is less of an issue then leave the net as wide as it is now.

@Klimski at some point, perhaps on another thread as I don't want to hijack this one, could you put together a reverse list? In effect, a group of golfers catching the ferry to Amsterdam, looking to pay 2-3 courses in The Netherlands. Not the big, expensive courses but good courses that won't break the bank and have a town nearby for evenings. If you were doing a trip at home, what would you put together? Thank you.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
In Northumberland I’d definitely pick bamburgh, dunstanburgh and foxton hall for you price range. Consider the foxton hall dormy house too for the stay. I’ve stayed their myself and wasn’t disappointed. There’s plenty of rooms. Next to foxton/alnmouth golf club, there is alnmouth village golf club which is a really old 9 hole course so you can spend a day up there and do 27 holes.

Goswick is great but maybe a little far north and pricier. It’s usually off mats before the open qualifier they have there so worth looking into first.

Speaking of pro events. Slayley regularly have the seniors, close house colt course has had two British masters recently and this year host the Asian tour. Then ramside cathedral course in Durham has held the LET access tour the last two year. Just if you fancied walking in the footsteps of pros.

i*windows

Visit site
as others have said Dunstanburgh, Foxton and Bamburgh are all great. For something a little quirky newbiggingolfclub.co.uk is ok.
for inland, parkland 30 minutes from Newcastle there are loads of choices, Tynemouth is a great course, next to it Ryton is ok, 10 minutes away from those two is Close House. Gosforth is good, Newcastle is good. there are just loads of courses to be honest and you will have a good time where ever you play

Klimski

Visit site
If you are getting the ferry from North Shields then Tynemouth, Whitley Bay, and Gosforth are very handy to play as a last course. If time after your last round is less of an issue then leave the net as wide as it is now.

@Klimski at some point, perhaps on another thread as I don't want to hijack this one, could you put together a reverse list? In effect, a group of golfers catching the ferry to Amsterdam, looking to pay 2-3 courses in The Netherlands. Not the big, expensive courses but good courses that won't break the bank and have a town nearby for evenings. If you were doing a trip at home, what would you put together? Thank you.
Hi Lord Tyrion,

That's a great idea. Quite challenging too though, haha. Luckily NL is quite a small country, from any ferry port you can drive to the border within some two hours. But there's a reason we splurge on UK tours... Besides a handful of great courses, the drop off is quite steep: we live in a very flat, wet country. I will put some thought into it and post soon!

Links Lover

Visit site
Bamburgh & Dunstanburgh you will not be disappointed with but as others have said, Seahouses is a bit underwhelming. It's not bad, there's just a section of holes which are a bit meh.

Northumberland I was also a bit disappointed with, but a magnificent clubhouse with a special feel to it.

The course I was most surprised with in the area (I played it 3 weeks ago) is Newbiggin. After arriving with no expectations and paying the modest £35 green fee, we were pleasantly surprised. A bonafide links course so maybe not what you are looking for to tag onto your main three, but some really interesting holes once you head out to the sea.