Newcastle coast tour advice sought

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
The course I was most surprised with in the area (I played it 3 weeks ago) is Newbiggin. After arriving with no expectations and paying the modest £35 green fee, we were pleasantly surprised. A bonafide links course so maybe not what you are looking for to tag onto your main three, but some really interesting holes once you head out to the sea.

I played at Newbiggin while in the area on holiday recently, loved it and only paid £15 County Card rate on a Sunday afternoon, the course was deserted.

Klimski

Visit site
Thanks for all the contributions. Our group has decided that the 2024 tour will go to Newcastle (unless the ferry fees are ridiculous, in which case either Hull or Harwich will get the nod). The courses on our list are now:

- Alnmouth Foxton Hall (opting to stay there also if possible)
- Bamburgh Castle (over Dunstanburgh because of the link to the TV hit series: Last Kingdom haha)
- Tyneside GC (because of my personal love of Harry Colt designs and its riverside layout).

Should we get really fit beforehand, we will also play at the Alnmouth Village 9 hole course.

Once again many thanks for the tips!!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Your choice of the Foxton Dormy house is an excellent one, the food & accommodation are superb. You won't see much of the river at Tyneside, by the way, it's about 200 feet below the course. Bit of a mountain goat track, not one I would have chosen, Hexham is much nicer, for example.

Klimski

Visit site
Your choice of the Foxton Dormy house is an excellent one, the food & accommodation are superb. You won't see much of the river at Tyneside, by the way, it's about 200 feet below the course. Bit of a mountain goat track, not one I would have chosen, Hexham is much nicer, for example.
Hexham looks great, but it's too far west considering we need to travel there and back to the ferry port. Alos, coming from the flattest country on Earth (NL) we love a bit of mountain goating haha (Elevation changes is actually something our society actively scouts for)

Last edited:

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Hexham looks great, but it's too far East considering we need to travel there and back to the ferry port. Alos, coming from the flattest country on Earth (NL) we love a bit of mountain goating haha (Elevation changes is actually something our society actively scouts for)
You won't exactly need crampons but it's certainly a bit up & down.