chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Top 3 is easy:-

Royal St Davids
Royal Cinque Ports
Royal St Lytham

Next I think would be Turnberry and Machrihanish

A few I was disappointed with like RSG, North Berwick, princes, West Lancs and Royal Liverpool(but son loved it), maybe I had built them up to much in my mind before playing.

Hope to tick lots more links in the next year as love them

I reckon the problem with Princes was playing with me 😁😁

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Interesting comment that, I think we have all been guilty of going to a course and expecting way too much.

I need to go back to Dornoch as I didn’t get it for how much it’s loved everyone else.

Same for Royal North Devon as I really didn’t get that place.

I felt that same re Dornoch and would like to return some day to really see what the fuss is all about,it rained heavily for the last 6 holes so that maybe clouded my judgment.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Of the ones I've played my favourite 5 (appreciating they're not necessarily the 'best') are:

St.Enodoc.
West Cornwall.
Saunton (East).
Burnham & Berrow.
Nefyn. (links / clifftop / whatever - it's Fun!)

Honorouble mentions to: Perranporth, Mullion, Bude, Trevose, Aberdovey, Porthmadog (back 9!)

PS seems I like Cornwall and the South West :LOL:

PPS I need to start playing Open rota venues instead of just spectating / and must play in Scotland / Ireland!

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Love St Enodoc and Saunton west, but think St Enodoc has a few too many average holes and the par 3s are not in the same league as Burnham
You have good taste and I hear you as a fellow lover of Burnham, but for me the location and setting of St.Enodoc means it edges it.

Courses in and of themselves very equal (and Saunton E)

Burnham has a WOW factor.
St.Enodoc has the 💥WOW💥factor.

(judgement might be slightly skewed as I've only played St.Enodoc on perfect days whilst on holiday whereas I've played Burnham more often and on day trips/weekends with variable weather!)

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
You have good taste and I hear you as a fellow lover of Burnham, but for me the location and setting of St.Enodoc means it edges it.

Courses in and of themselves very equal (and Saunton E)

Burnham has a WOW factor.
St.Enodoc has the 💥WOW💥factor.

(judgement might be slightly skewed as I've only played St.Enodoc on perfect days whilst on holiday whereas I've played Burnham more often and on day trips/weekends with variable weather!)

As I said, for me, the par 3s at St Enodoc (16 the exception) are average. The 4th isn’t a good hole, 10, 12 and 13 aren’t good holes.

I loved it but I would take Saunton and B&B over it every day, but that’s the joy of having such quality golf to choose from

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Top 3 is easy:-

Royal St Davids
Royal Cinque Ports
Royal St Lytham

Next I think would be Turnberry and Machrihanish

A few I was disappointed with like RSG, North Berwick, princes, West Lancs and Royal Liverpool(but son loved it), maybe I had built them up to much in my mind before playing.

Hope to tick lots more links in the next year as love them

Royal St. Davids - take Harlech castle away and its not top 100 for me.

The only course I can think of that can give architectural gravitas to the Norman conquest.

dronfield

Visit site
Hi
Of the well known ones; Turnberry, Carnoustie, Muirfield, Cruden Bay and Royal St Davids.

Also love Conway, Silouth, Aberdovvey and some hidden gems in North Scotland; Cullen, Buckpool, Spey Bay, Hopeman and Strathlene.

Playing all my golf around Sheffield, i really appreciate the rare occasions i get to play links golf - fantastic!

Rich

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Interesting comment that, I think we have all been guilty of going to a course and expecting way too much.

I need to go back to Dornoch as I didn’t get it for how much it’s loved everyone else.

Totally agree. Was not blown away by RSG first time round, thought it was no better than other links I had played with far less a reputation. Since then, every time I’ve played it I have left appreciating how good it actually is.

D

Deleted member 21258

Agreed(y), I think after going to watch the open at RSG it clouded it, even played it a 2nd time to relook the course. RSG has a number of not so good holes imho and just wasn't expecting and caught me by surprise for what I thought was one of the best courses(Turnberry was a bit similar but not so many so so holes).

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Totally agree. Was not blown away by RSG first time round, thought it was no better than other links I had played with far less a reputation. Since then, every time I’ve played it I have left appreciating how good it actually is.

I can echo that, but I still prefer RCP for its beauty

Like RSG as BIM and Murph are always keen to give me and Wookie money there 😁

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21258

Royal St. Davids - take Harlech castle away and its not top 100 for me.

The only course I can think of that can give architectural gravitas to the Norman conquest.

The surrounding scenery is amazing castle, hills, tall dunes and snow topped Snowdon range fairly regularly.:cool:

Think the course is a great challenge, the bunker placement is good, like the rough edged bunkers, big greens and just generally the course layout. The course requires long driving to the right place on most holes to miss bunkers or rough, and then a long shot to most of the par 4s in order to score well or hope you have bought your A grade short game to get pars, it is just so relentless. The 2 back to back par 5s you need to birdie as they are short and reachable in 2, I have yet to shot under my handicap at the course.

Bit flat in some areas, but enough elevated tees and holes in the dunes to keep my interest. Wife would not rank it as one of her favourites/best, as to long for her, she prefers Conwy or Dunstanburgh Castle for instance.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Agreed(y), I think after going to watch the open at RSG it clouded it, even played it a 2nd time to relook the course. RSG has a number of not so good holes imho and just wasn't expecting and caught me by surprise for what I thought was one of the best courses(Turnberry was a bit similar but not so many so so holes).
Must admit I love RSG Darren. Great variety of holes, over a fantastic natural stretch of land. Some of the best sand dunes around.;) Finding some of the tees can be a pain, but it is a proper big boys course, with holes in all directions, and you never feel you are on playing a hole on top of another one.

One ot the reasons I have never played Princes, is I know I would be looking over the fence and wishing I was
playing RSG.:)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
As I said, for me, the par 3s at St Enodoc (16 the exception) are average. The 4th isn’t a good hole, 10, 12 and 13 aren’t good holes.

I loved it but I would take Saunton and B&B over it every day, but that’s the joy of having such quality golf to choose from
I like Burnham Sam, but the middle five or six holes leave me cold, and not of the standard of the rest. Remind me of RND.:eek: The other 12 are cracking holes though. Personally prefer Saunton East, but not too much between them.

St Enodoc also has some weaker holes in the middle, and as you say the 4th is not a good hole, and not in keeping with the other holes. Need to play it again though, as sometimes courses grow on you the more you play them.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like Burnham Sam, but the middle five or six holes leave me cold, and not of the standard of the rest. Remind me of RND.:eek: The other 12 are cracking holes though. Personally prefer Saunton East, but not too much between them.

St Enodoc also has some weaker holes in the middle, and as you say the 4th is not a good hole, and not in keeping with the other holes. Need to play it again though, as sometimes courses grow on you the more you play them.
I don’t understand the knock on the middle holes at Burnham.
6 has a new tee which makes it one of the best holes on the course,
7 is ok a bit bland, but a tough hole
8 is a cracking par 5
9 is one of the best par 3s you could wish for
10 - agreed I don’t like blind tee shots (I just knock it on it’s easier)
11 - great hole (and a new tee)
12 (towards the church) great hole

100% I agree Saunton is a better course. It’s fantastic