Top 100 links courses

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
But you are still comparing the prices you paid some time ago to a price at Nairn you didn't pay? as i keep saying you can get on after 1pm any day for £70 and that price was less 5 years ago.

When you came up and played CS on your own did you pay the full £170?

I'm comparing the full price on both.

No, we paid about £75 when we come as a group, and I paid £60 the second time. Its still a fantastic and very memorable course though.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ive been fortunate to play some cracking course for basically sweeties, Kingbarns i played for nowt 3 times now as my mates a caddy its £215, which to me is ridiculous , Old Course at St Andrews i was signed on as a guest and it cost £33, Carnoustie was £10 when my dad was alive as he was a member there ,the question is would i pay over £100 for a game nowadays i don't think so. How to do stop English clubs member guest rate differ from Scottish clubs?...

That's another area where the 'attitudes' ar often very different between the 2 countries. Gullane #1 Visitor rate £90; Guest rate £5. Muirfield Visitor (then) £125, Guest £3 (vastly increased to £10 the next time :whistle:) were 2 examples of the huge differences I've experienced in Scotland that I've only heard of rarely 'Darn Sarf', and then only at the 'traditional' style clubs. North Berwick West was only £20, reasonably token, compared to £80 as a walk-on back then.

The Scottish (members) Club approach seems to be along the lines of 'well if you weren't playing at ours, you'd be playing at yours and you will, no doubt, offer the same hospitality to our member soon too' whereas the English way seems rather more commercial.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So do you think £170 for CS is VFM?

I'm not dodging the question, but is anything over £100 worth VFM for golf?

I have my own limit, but its still not to say, if I could get on Augusta, I would even pay a few grand, but its not VFM in real terms is it?

£150 should be enough for any golf course in the UK, although I would pay over it on occasion for the right course.

Before I'd played it I wouldn't have paid that much (£170). Now Ive played it twice I wouldn't pay full price.

However, it is the most memorable and quirky course I've played, and is definitely in my top 5, probably top 3 and maybe even the best. That would be placing it above Turnberry, Carnoustie, Royal Lytham and Royal Dornoch.

VFM? Hard to say, but at the moment probably the best course I've played, so as an experience, yes.

How would you rate Nairn and Castle Stuart in amongst the best in your top 5-10 courses, based on full price?

Do you feel other courses feed off the other premier courses, with regards to green fees, whether Nairn or Royal Aberdeen?

Last edited:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
So do you think £170 for CS is VFM?

Probably depends on how much M you have and how much V you place on other uses of the dough. Some people would pay hundreds on a fine meal at a snazzy London restaurant. I would (and have) pay that sort of money for a round on a course I really wanted to play but I would expect a course in pretty good condition, and good service. I don't think CS would be high on my short list of courses for my £170, though.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Probably depends on how much M you have and how much V you place on other uses of the dough. Some people would pay hundreds on a fine meal at a snazzy London restaurant. I would (and have) pay that sort of money for a round on a course I really wanted to play but I would expect a course in pretty good condition, and good service. I don't think CS would be high on my short list of courses for my £170, though.

Oo, I may have mis-read VFM.

I thought my knickers were showing through my strides....

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I don't think I'd ever pay a ton for a round of golf. Have done (and slightly over) for 36 on a really top course, but as I rarely play 36 anymore (unless in a buggy) I'm out.
£70.00 is about tops for me. And then I'd expect something to eat as well.
Do you do 2for1 greenfees??
:mad:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't think I'd ever pay a ton for a round of golf. Have done (and slightly over) for 36 on a really top course, but as I rarely play 36 anymore (unless in a buggy) I'm out.
£70.00 is about tops for me. And then I'd expect something to eat as well.
Do you do 2for1 greenfees??
:mad:

2for1 vouchers are one of the reasons its hard to stomach to whack for certain courses, we played Gleneagles PGA on 2 for 1's a few time a number of years ago for £35 each.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm not dodging the question, but is anything over £100 worth VFM for golf?

I have my own limit, but its still not to say, if I could get on Augusta, I would even pay a few grand, but its not VFM in real terms is it?

£150 should be enough for any golf course in the UK, although I would pay over it on occasion for the right course.

Before I'd played it I wouldn't have paid that much (£170). Now Ive played it twice I wouldn't pay full price.

However, it is the most memorable and quirky course I've played, and is definitely in my top 5, probably top 3 and maybe even the best. That would be placing it above Turnberry, Carnoustie, Royal Lytham and Royal Dornoch.

VFM? Hard to say, but at the moment probably the best course I've played, so as an experience, yes.

How would you rate Nairn and Castle Stuart in amongst the best in your top 5-10 courses, based on full price?

Do you feel other courses feed off the other premier courses, with regards to green fees, whether Nairn or Royal Aberdeen?

TBH, its very difficalt to judge as ive always been lucky enough to play for free or very little some of the best courses, though Ive not played many.

Ive played Western Gailes quiet a few times now for Free so would find it hard to pay the full price.

I played Carnoustie for free and i would find it hard to justify the full fee, but if i hadn't played it and had no choice, maybe once, and this is the case for all the open Venues. Of the 3 Ive played Muirfield is the only one ive paid for and that was only £70 twice, which is Good value for that even better was the time if was free.

Kingsbarns paid £80 and was a little dissapointed, though we did play on a very windy day off the Daily tee's and i think we would have got more from the course off the white.

The 3 main courses at St Andrews i played as a guest of an R&A member so didn't pay a penny, though i would go back and play the Old course for the full fee, just to see how much my game has changed since playing.

Castle Stuart, i have been lucky again in that my reg playing partner worked at CS and i got to play rather a lot for free. I think its a better course than Kingsbarnes and some of the holes are quite similar. But If i were to chose between the two i prefer Nairn. After all its an American interpretation of a traditional Links Course, where as Nairn is one.

Don't get me wrong there could be huge improvements made so its far from perfect.

D

Deleted member 1740

It does, and its a running debate between me and LB as i have always said that 18 holes vs 18 holes Formby is a better course and overall golfing experience.

Hillside is stunning, but i feel the front 9 lets it down a little bit (and im obviously being very critical). Next time your in the area, id recommend Formby ....vould you class it as inks? Is it heathland? Im not sure as its more a combination of both encompassed by majestic pines.

Finally...all those emails i sent to the golfing press have paid of :) :) :)

I think the front 9 at hillside is as tough as they come, they may not be as pleasing on the eyes compared to the back 9 but still an excellent course and test of golf.

Don't get me wrong formby is beautiful but I don't think it's better than hillside nor is it that far behind it.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
TBH, its very difficalt to judge as ive always been lucky enough to play for free or very little some of the best courses, though Ive not played many.

Ive played Western Gailes quiet a few times now for Free so would find it hard to pay the full price.

I played Carnoustie for free and i would find it hard to justify the full fee, but if i hadn't played it and had no choice, maybe once, and this is the case for all the open Venues. Of the 3 Ive played Muirfield is the only one ive paid for and that was only £70 twice, which is Good value for that even better was the time if was free.

Kingsbarns paid £80 and was a little dissapointed, though we did play on a very windy day off the Daily tee's and i think we would have got more from the course off the white.

The 3 main courses at St Andrews i played as a guest of an R&A member so didn't pay a penny, though i would go back and play the Old course for the full fee, just to see how much my game has changed since playing.

Castle Stuart, i have been lucky again in that my reg playing partner worked at CS and i got to play rather a lot for free. I think its a better course than Kingsbarnes and some of the holes are quite similar. But If i were to chose between the two i prefer Nairn. After all its an American interpretation of a traditional Links Course, where as Nairn is one.

Don't get me wrong there could be huge improvements made so its far from perfect.

I've paid £120 and £80 for carnoustie, £40 for Lytham, Royal Liverpool for free and £70, but I do try to judge it on the course. I'm going to pay £145 for Birkdale next year.

When I argued against Nairn, it was only based on courses rated lower in comparison. I would do the same and have done regularly with Royal Liverpool and Royal St. Davids in the rankings. Its not to say that they aren't top 10/50/100 courses, just their rankings in comparison to others IMHO. However, as we both said, it is subjective. There are even some wierdos who don't like links. :)

Its been a good debate.:thup:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've paid £120 and £80 for carnoustie, £40 for Lytham, Royal Liverpool for free and £70, but I do try to judge it on the course. I'm going to pay £145 for Birkdale next year.

When I argued against Nairn, it was only based on courses rated lower in comparison. I would do the same and have done regularly with Royal Liverpool and Royal St. Davids in the rankings. Its not to say that they aren't top 10/50/100 courses, just their rankings in comparison to others IMHO. However, as we both said, it is subjective. There are even some wierdos who don't like links. :)

Its been a good debate.:thup:

Another bomb :rofl:

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've tweeted NCG and had a response, they are working on posting their top 100 link up on the website. Soon as it's available I'll post the link :thup:

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
I just saw the Golf Digest Ireland Top 100 courses which were put out today and was great to see a hidden gem that loved playing in Dunfanaghy make it at 99 ,its a cracking links course.