Top 100 links courses

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've paid £120 and £80 for carnoustie, £40 for Lytham, Royal Liverpool for free and £70, but I do try to judge it on the course. I'm going to pay £145 for Birkdale next year.

When I argued against Nairn, it was only based on courses rated lower in comparison. I would do the same and have done regularly with Royal Liverpool and Royal St. Davids in the rankings. Its not to say that they aren't top 10/50/100 courses, just their rankings in comparison to others IMHO. However, as we both said, it is subjective. There are even some wierdos who don't like links. :)

Its been a good debate.:thup:

True,

when the course get unjustly criticized i have to stand up if i disagree , as i said its far from perfect and i'm someone at the club that is critical of some things.

As for paying full whack. 4 of us are off the Royal Portrush and RCD next summer and we have decided to go at high season so have to pay the full £150 and £180.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
True,

when the course get unjustly criticized i have to stand up if i disagree , as i said its far from perfect and i'm someone at the club that is critical of some things.

As for paying full whack. 4 of us are off the Royal Portrush and RCD next summer and we have decided to go at high season so have to pay the full £150 and £180.

Not a problem, although if someone criticised Lee park, I probably agree........however, if I felt they were wrong or exaggerating, I would have done the same.

Enjoy Ireland, our lads looked into these for a big group like last year, but they wouldn't offer any discounts.

2016 may get a look in though, as I believe there is a March comp that is a good deal cheaper for 3 courses, which I think includes RCD and Portrush.

I don't think I've ever criticised Nairn, as had no problems, just the ranking it has received in some quarters.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Interesting to see the whole list. They put The Machrie one place above St Andrews New which precisely illustrates the delicate weighings up which must be done to rank such courses.

A fine, fine challenge in the home of golf versus a quirky delight of golf design in amazing terrain and scenery.

Where would I rather play on a sunny summers day? - no brainer, The Machrie wins hands down.
Which is the truer test of golf? - no brainer the New course wins hands down.

Luckily we can choose both :)

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really like how they've presented this list. There are specific comments, pros and cons for each course and they've published the make-up and bios of the panel of selectors involved. Gives a nice insight into the thought processes behind the rankings, which is good because it makes it much clearer how the relative positions have been determined and from what perspectives the decisions have been taken.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ditto mate, we had it probably in the poorest condition it could be. I still maintain it's one of the most unfriendly, unwelcoming clubs ive every visited.

Been to West Lancs in pretty much all types of weather. Must admit, always found it quite friendly when I've been, but would I put it above Silloth? Would I coco!

I wouldn't put Formby so far in front of Hillside either, in fact I'd have Hillside slightly above Formby.

Suppose everything's subjective though.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I started this thread initially as a bit of a discussion point, now that the link is online I think the debate might take off a bit. Generally I think the list is pretty close to being right but I think some of the positions are 'interesting' to say the least :)

Very interesting quote from the website......

Note: We were only interested in the courses. We have tried to separate the course from the off-course experience, be it positive or otherwise. For our purposes, a course begins when you step on to the 1st tee and ends when you leave the 18th green.

Completely different criteria to the GM system.

Last edited by a moderator:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ditto mate, we had it probably in the poorest condition it could be. I still maintain it's one of the most unfriendly, unwelcoming clubs ive every visited.

Crisps, nuts, Machine coffee or soft drinks only if I recall correctly !!

I agree that they were asting first impressions, surely we must haev got it on an off day . . . . ?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site

I agree that they were asting first impressions, surely we must haev got it on an off day . . . . ?

Few of us thinking of playing it on Fri 2nd Jan if you want to give it another chance mate.. I hated it last time I was there, but that was mainly because I played like a 36 handicapper.. I agree about the welcome though.. Thatcher would have got a better reception on the Scouse docks..

Oh, and as for it being above Silloth.. Do me a favour, it's not even in the same postcode..:D

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site

I hope so put it that way....

I need to get back and play the course in nicer weather/condition to rate it really.

Was more an exercise in survival, brutal day for golf.

Wonder who won..... :whistle: