Top 100 Courses feedback

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Hi all

As we always say one of the key reasons we produce the Top 100 course rankings is to produce debate so it certainly seems like it’s ‘job done’ on that score!

Some of the more inflammatory comments were predictable but at least it shows a certain passion and enthusiasm for the subject.

Jezz has obviously responded on a number of things but there are a number of points I thought were worth making/restating....

As I said in my editor's letter (which I appreciate not everyone may have read yet) there simply can’t be any 100% right or wrong positions when it comes to ranking courses as the whole thing is based on subjective opinion to a degree.

Golf Monthly’s Top 100 list is our opinion, Golf World’s is theirs and Dodger’s, The Craw’s and Snelly’s (just three names pulled out completely at random you understand) are theirs.

Our opinion is derived from the input of our course rankings panel in the form of course assessments carried out to a set criteria that you can read about in detail here.

The criteria and the weighting between them is broadly the same as every major course ranking I’ve ever seen. We probably add a little more weight to the ‘visual appeal’ and ‘ambience’ categories than some other rankings and we have done that because we want our rankings to be inspirational and useful not just to ‘better golfers’ who tend to focus very heavily on the test and conditioning but to make it relevant to all golfers for whom breathtaking scenery and the overall experience you have as a visitor is very important… especially if you haven’t played well!

Our panel is made up of 40 golfers – GM staff, readers and advisors - that cover all ages, handicaps and regions of the UK&I.

Everyone on the panel has played at least half of the current top 100 with many very close to the complete Top 100 (and courses played total around 300).

Jezz and Rob Smith (who make up the Senior Panel with me) have now played all 100 (and almost all of the next 100) and I’ve played 72 of the current Top 100 and 63 of the next 100.

We then have input from our senior advisory panel - all of whom have played in excess of 600 courses worldwide (including all or almost all of the Top 100) with one of them having played 3,000.

Since we published the last rankings in November 2010 I have played nearly 50 of this year’s Top 100. I suspect Jezz and Rob will have done even more and that means we have an up to date experience of courses we are ranking, which is important as it means we will have seen at first-hand any improvements (on and off course) and equally any significant drop in standards of the playing surfaces.

Several clubs in the Top 100 we have spoken to say they haven’t been visited by anyone from a rival magazine’s panel for a number of years.

I don’t quote those figures to show off but rather to underline the combined experience, and the more experience you have, the better placed you are to be able to rank one course above another.

Between the members of the panel, we undertook over 1000 course visits (covering 170 courses) from March 2011 to August 2012. Every course had at least one visit in this period with many around five (some as many as ten), meaning we get a wide range of feedback and opinion on all the various criteria.

To give you an idea of the level of information we ask panellists for, and get back, here are some links to three sample assessment forms.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?isiyhhispkh31v3
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?9farhw3am4hovze
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?4t2zfhvc15f90xf

Once we have all the assessments in, Jezz, Rob Smith and I sit down and go through them noting the marks, comments and crucially the benchmarking section where panellists suggest rankings and compare the course to others. Taking in all those comments we then start to adjust positions according to the pooled feedback, adding in our views. Where we have disagreements amongst ourselves, then we debate it until we get at least a 2:1 majority. Sometimes the final call comes down to answering the question ‘where would you rather go and play tomorrow, course A or course B’.

On its own, that’s not very scientific but when it’s the final element of an extended assessment process, then I think it’s a fair tiebreaker.

I’d call the above pretty comprehensive and I hope shows that our process is anything but lazy, as someone suggested.

By contrast I have seen the communication a rival magazine sends to panellists. It consists of a list of their last Top 100, and merely asks them to cut and paste courses up and down. If a panellist moves a course more than 10 places, they are asked to write a sentence on why. In my book that’s not very comprehensive.

So there you have it - The Golf Monthly Top 100 course rankings in a nutshell.

Hope the above has been of some interest.

Mike

Ps we have a Top 100 facebook app coming next week so you can easily tally up which one's youve played and share your list

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Out of interest Mike, has my track been looked at in the last couple of years? I only ask because it's made it's way into another top 100 (England only) and also came in 16th in a best place to play for under £50

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Great to have a bit of insight Mike.

I think that while we have all got huge opinions some of the 'pops' were uncalled for but as I posted in the thread started by myself you will or should have certainly expected to have been shot at....it's part of the job description in this industry but when your professionalism gets questions that is when the line for me is wrongly crossed.

We all have our own thoughts and I have expressed 1 of mine (I have a few others on that list that I simply am at a loss with but again it's MY opinion) but this list will always, always get grumbles each time it is produced!

It was of huge interest to read the links for the assessment and again it is something I am at odds with,you know my high regard of Goswick as a golf course and for me in comparison to Montrose it is a stronger golf course but I would guess and say conditioning and ambience stops it breaking into the top 100?

I do hope that 'our' criticism is not seen as a snipe for sniping sake but is rightly seen as simply opinions. :thup:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Mike, you mention that other magazines have not visited some courses, but how would the courses know? Shouldn't the visits be kept quiet, so you do not get 'special treatment', especially as you are judging on friendliness of welcome etc. In my business assessors are know as mystery investors, which keep the reviews perhaps more accurate ?

D

Deleted Member 1156

So with such a scientific and comprehensive rating system, how can you still get it so wrong?? :rofl:

T

thecraw

Interesting to read and quite happy to accept the (as Dodger says) the "pops" aimed at me. I'm quite happy to take these on the chin. I have a passion for both the courses at Machrihanish and yes I am biased to an extent and as much as you dress it up Machrihanish Dunes is a better course than The Castle Course at St Andrews. Visual appear and ambience is a criteria you say you weigh heavily on, well again in MY opinion you can't really get a better ambience and stunningly visual location and course than Machrihanish Dunes.

I also appreciate what Jezz said about it being in terrible condition in March after the horrendous winter storms that hit the area. That said it was in better condition than Machrihanish next door which if the Dunes was horrendous them Machrihanish was hellish! Just look back at further reports on the greens at Machrihanish by Dodger etc. Therefore I can't accept his argument that it has fallen due to that yet Machrihanish has remained in the top 50????

I also can't fathom why The Machrie has fallen so far as well. Yes I've not played it in the last year but from reports from Simon at Machrie the course is in tremendous condition. I appreciate the hotel is a bit run down however its undergoing a total renovation, that should not detract from the course which is top quality.

I accept its all subjective and its down to individual opinions however I will still never accept in a million years that the Castle course is ever worthy of inclusion in the top 100 of any ranking.

Finally if the visual appearance and ambience are rated so much why is Lytham rated at 7 when it sits between a railway line and a housing estate?

Horses for courses I guess and as usual I appreciate the stage to disagree with you as well as you taking the time to communicate with the readers.

Cheers. :thup:

T

thecraw

Mike, you mention that other magazines have not visited some courses, but how would the courses know? Shouldn't the visits be kept quiet, so you do not get 'special treatment', especially as you are judging on friendliness of welcome etc. In my business assessors are know as mystery investors, which keep the reviews perhaps more accurate ?

It would be an easier way to do it, however as Jezz explained to me Skibo wouldn't give the reviewers courtesy so it wasn't rated. Then again I wouldn't give them the money for a round either plus the cost would be extraordinary if your paying to rate 170+ golf courses.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Great to have a bit of insight Mike.

I think that while we have all got huge opinions some of the 'pops' were uncalled for but as I posted in the thread started by myself you will or should have certainly expected to have been shot at....it's part of the job description in this industry but when your professionalism gets questions that is when the line for me is wrongly crossed.

We all have our own thoughts and I have expressed 1 of mine (I have a few others on that list that I simply am at a loss with but again it's MY opinion) but this list will always, always get grumbles each time it is produced!

It was of huge interest to read the links for the assessment and again it is something I am at odds with,you know my high regard of Goswick as a golf course and for me in comparison to Montrose it is a stronger golf course but I would guess and say conditioning and ambience stops it breaking into the top 100?

I do hope that 'our' criticism is not seen as a snipe for sniping sake but is rightly seen as simply opinions. :thup:

Thanks for the response Dodger, as you say you post a list of this nature and its there to be shot at/dissected etc.

I really just wanted to underline the fact its opinion based and also try to show how much work goes into it.

Ref Montrose they dropped out this year becuase several pannelists said condition just wasn't up to scratch - Gareth mentiones it several times in his report and I know Rob Smith was very dissapointed with it.

I havent played Goswick so can't comment personally but yes conditioning and ambience (and from memory views) has been mentioned in terms of why it hasnt made the final cut. On the plus side its viewed as a very good test

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site

Craw has already called this but yes we (and indeed any other golf mags including even the big US ones) simply couldnt afford to pay the green fees to do it mystery shopper style.

In terms of special treatment I dont think that's an issue. When I write to clubs about Top 100 I ask them not to do anything out of the ordinary and the assesors don't wear or do anything that signals them out as from GM

Pannelists are briefed to keep a low profile and we sometimes get comments in assesments about unfriendly members and even staff (its amazing how often the office wont have told the starter oer pro shop that they have an assesor playing) so that reassures me that there's no major operation to be nice going on!

Ref Skibo and Queenwood it wasnt so much that they wouldn't give courtesy - some of the guys on the mag have played both courses - it was the fact they said they didnt want to be included in the process. My take on that is that they wouldnt be happy with anything but a decent ranking so didnt want to risk being invloved and then being ranked 99th or whatever

D

Deleted Member 1156

MikeH

How many of the UK's courses do the review panel play every year? There are approx 3000 in the UK and Eire, do you stick mainly to the bigger better known courses or do you try to get round all of them? And how many reviewers play each course? Your ranking system just isn't going to work unless at least 3 or 4 (or more) reviewers play each course to get a balance of opinion. I can't believe for one moment that several people would rate Trevose or Royal St Davids so highly yet somewhere like Enniscrone doesn't even make the top 100. Royal Porthcawl is another decent track but how can it possibly be ranked so highly?

As you've said, the list sparks lots of debate but it's also important to get it right as a lot of clubs cash in on these rankings and bump their green fees up based on them. There are quite a few courses on the list that I've played that just do not represent value for money, some of them charging over £100 a round when £50 would be more realistic.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Out of interest Mike, has my track been looked at in the last couple of years? I only ask because it's made it's way into another top 100 (England only) and also came in 16th in a best place to play for under £50

Yes from memory we have had a couple of visits in the past two years. Its always been on my wish list to play but I havent been there yet - hope to rectify that next year!

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes from memory we have had a couple of visits in the past two years. Its always been on my wish list to play but I havent been there yet - hope to rectify that next year!

How will you find the time what with coming to play the best links courses in Donegal ;)

Seriously though it is a huge undertaking and even though I disagree with someone the placings of courses what can you do.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ref Skibo and Queenwood it wasnt so much that they wouldn't give courtesy - some of the guys on the mag have played both courses - it was the fact they said they didnt want to be included in the process. My take on that is that they wouldnt be happy with anything but a decent ranking so didnt want to risk being invloved and then being ranked 99th or whatever

I could understand Skibo, not wantng to be rated before as lets face it the last few years its been impossible to even get on if you had the cash as it s invite only. But now they have realeased some tee times at £1200 per 4 ball you would think they would want to raise their profile a little.. !!!

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Nice to see how the list was put together and the rigours of the testing. How does one get onto the panel?
The panel is currently at capacity but from time to time we do look to recruit new pannelists if for instance we get someone stand down for any reason. For recruiting we look at golfing CVs and ask for sample assement forms to be completed
drop me a mail and I can keep your details on file

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Craw has already called this but yes we (and indeed any other golf mags including even the big US ones) simply couldnt afford to pay the green fees to do it mystery shopper style.

In terms of special treatment I dont think that's an issue. When I write to clubs about Top 100 I ask them not to do anything out of the ordinary and the assesors don't wear or do anything that signals them out as from GM

Pannelists are briefed to keep a low profile and we sometimes get comments in assesments about unfriendly members and even staff (its amazing how often the office wont have told the starter oer pro shop that they have an assesor playing) so that reassures me that there's no major operation to be nice going on!

And there was me thinking you sneaked on the course, without paying, when no one was looking.

Thanks for the reply Mike. Can I put my name forward to join the assessors team, and play for free ?:)

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
The panel is currently at capacity but from time to time we do look to recruit new pannelists if for instance we get someone stand down for any reason. For recruiting we look at golfing CVs and ask for sample assement forms to be completed
drop me a mail and I can keep your details on file

Cue deluge of emails!!

:D

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
MikeH
How many of the UK's courses do the review panel play every year? There are approx 3000 in the UK and Eire, do you stick mainly to the bigger better known courses or do you try to get round all of them? And how many reviewers play each course? Your ranking system just isn't going to work unless at least 3 or 4 (or more) reviewers play each course to get a balance of opinion. I can't believe for one moment that several people would rate Trevose or Royal St Davids so highly yet somewhere like Enniscrone doesn't even make the top 100. Royal Porthcawl is another decent track but how can it possibly be ranked so highly?
As you've said, the list sparks lots of debate but it's also important to get it right as a lot of clubs cash in on these rankings and bump their green fees up based on them. There are quite a few courses on the list that I've played that just do not represent value for money, some of them charging over £100 a round when £50 would be more realistic.

Hi drive4show,

as per my OP we have a shortlist of around 170 that we feel are are serious contenders for the top 100 and each course gets at least one vist during the period - most would get between 3-5

As we get to the later stages of the assesing period we'll direct pannelists to certain courses to fill in any gaps and also if we feel we want a further opinion - ie if weve had two reports and one rates it highly but another rates it low

As for what courses from ther 3000 plus in the UK & Ireland we focus on we are obviously out playing a lot of courses (not just top tracks) so form a view from those visits then we also take feedback from the panel (based all over GB&I remember), we also get views from county unions and of course from readers/forum users becuase every time we publish list of the Top 100 or our hidden gems or value tracks etc we'll get suggestions of courses to consider

For the next 100 we spead to consider perhaps 350 courses but we woukldnt get to all of those in the particualr assesing period so very much accept that this list is even more subjective than the top 100

In terms of the three courses you mention - Trevose, RSD and Porthcawl - that is your opinion they shouldn't be where they are but in our opinion they are in the right spots. We'll have to agree to disagree!

In terms of clubs charging more money if they go up in up the rankings I've never seen anything to support that view. Have you got any examples? The only time I ever see clubs bump green fees is around the Open

Fundamentally green fees are driven by simple supply and demmand. Clubs will charge what they feel golfers will pay. If they get the volume of visitors they are after it would tend to suggest they're offering 'value for money' as defined by the market. if they dont then they have to drop thier fees.