Top 100 Courses feedback

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The problem is that ranking systems are somewhat subjective, so opinions will vary. I bet if the ranking system ranked courses exactly like drive4show thought, he or she would not think they are rubbish.

If you ask any half sensible golfer whether RCD, Muirfield and St Andrews Old belong in the top 10 courses in the UK and I, they will almost all agree. If you ask whether the number 83 course is better than the 84 course, you will have a debate. Some golf mags don't give precise places below the top 10, they do a top 10 in rank order, then the teens, twenties, thirties and so on and just list courses alphabetically within each of the tens below the top 10.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I tend to agree with D4S.
Some of the rankings just do not make any sense whatsoever to me.

For those who think otherwise please explain.

Why RCD and HCEG have swopped places.
Why a very freaky course like North Berwick is ranked so high.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

One man's freaky is another man's charming and quirky. NB has just been announced as number 1 fun course in the UK and I by a rival magazine.

RCD and HCEG may have swapped places because they are pretty close in terms of overall score and the players doing the rankings change a bit from year to year and the scores will therefore also do so.

T

thecraw

You sure about that???

Didn't think they had but can't find last years list to compare.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site

You sure about that???

Didn't think they had but can't find last years list to compare.

I think JezzE explained that they haven't swapped places. Yep here it is on the other thread in answer to Snelly:-

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?46163-The-new-Top-100-Course-in-UK-amp-Ireland/page5

I
ndeed the listing in the magazine says "No change" next to both Muirfield (HCEG) and RCD and the feature article in the mag says Muirfield has held top spot for 3 consecutive rankings.

Hope that helps.

Some interesting and entertaining thoughts on this and the original thread but quite surprised that people feel so strongly about where a course comes in the rankings given that, as conceded by MikeH and JezzE, it is so subjective.

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry if this has been mentioned before as i haven't been on for a few weeks but i was surprised not to see Rockliffe not mentioned at all but Slaley hall made it.

If i'm not mistaken Mike mentioned on his twitter earlier on in the year he stayed at Rockliffe and played the course and said the greens were some of the best he has ever played on?

I'd say Rockliffe is easily the best conditoned course in the north east, it may not be as picturesque as Slaley but it beats it hands down in every other category.

Obviously this is just my opinion and i am slighlty biased as it's one of my local courses but be interested to hear what anyone else thinks that has played both Rockliffe and Slaley.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Sarcastic or not, it's posts like this that are a load of ..........
Ok it's a public forum and opinions are vital but a lot of the posts in this thread simply display a basic Human trait...
My opinion is different so you're wrong.

This is GM's ranking. If they want to award a place to what many might consider to be a goat track then that is their right, in the same way that they can leave out a course they don.'t like the feel of they wish.

I said it in another thread - there really are a lot of toys on the floor over a list of courses..

Healthy debate - Yes
Arguments and abusiveness - why?

My post was totally sarcastic but what annoys me about these rankings is the effect that an inaccurate ranking can have. Two of the courses that I mentioned cost me a LOT of time, effort and money to play because they were so highly ranked but proved to be major disappointments. Those two courses were Trevose and Royal St Davids. In the case of RSD, I drove for 5 hours from the south coast, spent £100 on 2 nights B&B plus the green fee to play what basically boils down to a 3 hole course. The other 15 holes are nothing better than average. Yet at the time, this course was ranked 49th in the UK. I've played well in excess of 300 courses and I doubt RSD would make it to 49th in the one's that I've played, never mind 49th of all the courses in GB&I. If it hadn't been so highly ranked, I wouldn't have bothered wasting my time and money.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Big resort courses such as Turnberry/DeVere etc spend quite a bit of money advertising, getting free copy and promoting their courses in magazines.
Bunkered offer a very good subscription deal on the back of free rounds on courses that seem to advertise considerably in their magazine. I would assume that it involved a certain amount of discounted advertising.
No golf magazine will give poor copy to courses who heavily advertise with them and the public tends to get a skewed view of their quality.
I think the De Vere courses are a good example of this.

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Big resort courses such as Turnberry/DeVere etc spend quite a bit of money advertising, getting free copy and promoting their courses in magazines.
Bunkered offer a very good subscription deal on the back of free rounds on courses that seem to advertise considerably in their magazine. I would assume that it involved a certain amount of discounted advertising.
No golf magazine will give poor copy to courses who heavily advertise with them and the public tends to get a skewed view of their quality.
I think the De Vere courses are a good example of this.

Whatever De Vere have or haven't spent with us, it hasn't got them one course in our Top 100, with the exception of The Belfry which only reverted to De Vere status after our assessing period for this list was complete...

T

thecraw

Maybe but it really still is not a fantastic golf course,good yes but not a great course for me.

I guess we could argue Elie is in the same boat. Fife has a lot to offer the golfer, I think we can settle on that.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I guess we could argue Elie is in the same boat. Fife has a lot to offer the golfer, I think we can settle on that.

Have to say though craw of all the courses I've played in Fife, and links courses played in Scotland and England, Elie is way down my list and that opinion is not formed after 1 round.

T

thecraw

Have to say though craw of all the courses I've played in Fife, and links courses played in Scotland and England, Elie is way down my list and that opinion is not formed after 1 round.

110% agree. Its never better than Bogside or St Nicks yet it made the second 100!!!!!

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Both Bogside and St Nicks are again nice enough golf courses but both include a number of poor/weak (or maybe some would call quirky) golf holes to be considered anything but what they are...good but not great golf courses.

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Both Bogside and St Nicks are again nice enough golf courses but both include a number of poor/weak (or maybe some would call quirky) golf holes to be considered anything but what they are...good but not great golf courses.

Yes, I enjoyed St Nicks, but thought the last few holes were a bit of a recipe for potential disaster, especially the last which is just asking for you to carve one right into the clubhouse or, worse still, the car park as you try to force one up to the green

Bogside, I've only played once out of season, so would need to play it again in the season to form a better judgement.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site

Just wondering Dodger which holes you feel are poor/weak at St. Nicholas? Personally I think both Bogside and St.Nicholas are great courses.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Just wondering Dodger which holes you feel are poor/weak at St. Nicholas? Personally I think both Bogside and St.Nicholas are great courses.

Be 15 years since I played but I remember holes 6 and 7 not being great holes and a run of holes from about 9 to 14?? maybe being a tad bland not getting me excited,recall ones nearer the clubhouse being best ones and an odd out of place water pool somewhere on the course?

Nice track all the same though with a great closing hole.

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Be 15 years since I played but I remember holes 6 and 7 not being great holes and a run of holes from about 9 to 14?? maybe being a tad bland not getting me excited,recall ones nearer the clubhouse being best ones and an odd out of place water pool somewhere on the course?

Nice track all the same though with a great closing hole.

Just shows how opinions differ Dodger - I thought the last hole was not great and they must get countless cars hit there over the course of a year... but then I did spray one right which actually hit the building and ricocheted back in bounds leaving all the cars completely unscathed. Remember that hole with water too, doglegging round to the right, as I recall...

T

thecraw

Both are still miles better than the boring flat links of Elie!