Top 100 Courses feedback

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Get yourself onto a Links course as they tend to handle the water a lot better than Parkland courses and TBH this year would show that more than any other year, how many Links courses are listed on your 100 because I know after the year we have had at least
85 of my top 100 would be Links.

So the list isn't even published and yet enormously skewed towards links golf. So much for it balanced then if 85/100 are links courses. Best leave it to those that know a thing or two Bomber

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
However accusing people of taking bribes for a higher ranking without any proof is IMO
discraceful.

Bomber you have defended your stance here & replyed to the stuff thrown at you .. just wondering & interested what you reply to this post above is .. ^^^^^^^

I personaly think you may have gone a bit far in your critisism .. GM have explained a lot about the list & how it was compiled but you seem to have your own thoughts .. your thoughts on the actual list are welcomed as is every one elses , your thoughts on how it was compiled can be proven wrong & has been .. not many magazine forums are lucky enought to have their top men come on & debate , discuss & explain things as openly as the GM people do ..

I believe some of your remarks have been bordering on insulting to a well established golfing mag & its journalists .. but just like the top 100 , its just my opinion & you are free to disagree.. maybe tomorrow have a look back over your comments in the cold light of day & see could you have worded them differently .. just a thought

Last edited:

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
I must be the only one here that simply doesn't give a crap what some Individual considers to be his top 100 courses

Bomber69

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Bomber you have defended your stance here & replyed to the stuff thrown at you .. just wondering & interested what you reply to this is ..

I personaly think you may have gone a bit far in your critisism .. GM have explained a lot about the list & how it was compiled but you seem to have your own thoughts .. your thoughts on the actual list are welcomed as is every one elses , your thoughts on how it was compiled can be proven wrong & has been .. not many magazine forums are lucky enought to have their top men come on & debate , discuss & explain things as openly as the GM people do ..

I believe some of your remarks have been bordering on insulting to a well established golfing mag & its journalists .. but just like the top 100 , its just my opinion & you are free to disagree.. maybe tomorrow have a look back over your comments in the cold light of day & see could you have worded them differently .. just a thought

Will do.

Bomber69

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
So the list isn't even published and yet enormously skewed towards links golf. So much for it balanced then if 85/100 are links courses. Best leave it to those that know a thing or two Bomber

After the weather we have had this year I find it hard to place parkland courses in the list as most will have been unplayable this year so surely this must have an impact on the ratings, no?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
After the weather we have had this year I find it hard to place parkland courses in the list as most will have been unplayable this year so surely this must have an impact on the ratings, no?

I play nothing but parkland given my location and can honestly say we've not had a problem with courses being closed for any great period of time. Maybe a day or so at the odd course but certainly not for extensive periods. A lot of my golfing partners play away a lot and none have had any huge issues getting games or courses being open whenb they shouldn't have been.

Without wanting to add fuel to a fire how constructive would the list be if you don't play other types of corse and experience courses when they aren't always presented or playing their best or indeed how could you effectively test all 100 of your courses in the course of a year to see if they still deserve their place and having been usurped by something better or different

Bomber69

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I play nothing but parkland given my location and can honestly say we've not had a problem with courses being closed for any great period of time. Maybe a day or so at the odd course but certainly not for extensive periods. A lot of my golfing partners play away a lot and none have had any huge issues getting games or courses being open whenb they shouldn't have been.

Without wanting to add fuel to a fire how constructive would the list be if you don't play other types of corse and experience courses when they aren't always presented or playing their best or indeed how could you effectively test all 100 of your courses in the course of a year to see if they still deserve their place and having been usurped by something better or different

Having played both parkland and Links course over this year I can honestly say that most of the parkland courses I have played have suffered due to the wet conditions and Links course have been more enjoyable to play as they remain firm both on the fairways and the greens hence a better experience.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having played both parkland and Links course over this year I can honestly say that most of the parkland courses I have played have suffered due to the wet conditions and Links course have been more enjoyable to play as they remain firm both on the fairways and the greens hence a better experience.

There is a big difference between courses suffering due to the wet conditions and most parkland courses being unplayable this year as you previously stated.

T

thecraw

sure about that?

I'll answer that for you, yes I'm also sure about that. I've played a good few parkland courses this year in different parts of the country and all have been saturated at different times I've played.

Old Ranfurly - Renfrewshire - saturated - most months
Lochwinnoch - Renfrewshire - saturated - September
Kilmacolm - Renfrewshire - saturated - August
Renfrew - Renfrewshire - total bog - July

Millport - North Ayrshire - saturated - September

Rothesay - Argyll & Bute - saturated - May & August
The Carrick - Argyll & Bute - saturated

Bellisle - South Ayrshire - saturated - August

Letham Grange - Angus - should have worn welly boots - June

Craigmillar Park - L&B - soft as whoopsie - August

Dumfries & County - D&G - very wet under foot - April

Callander - Perthshire - wet but not the worst - May

I think its safe to say that almost if not EVERY inland course in Scotland has suffered this year with the horrendous rain fall we've had. I'm quite sure that they have all been shut this summer at some point.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I am sure it would be a true reflection on what courses I have played and what courses I have read about being listed over the last ten years or so rather than just a list someone handed me and said they are paying for a review so go play them and give me your thoughts.

Can you honestly say that you played every course in the country that would Merritt a place in the top 100, nope I thought not so why can you make such a list.

I just hope next year you can really report on the real top 100 and hope that GM give you the scope to submit a real list rather than recommendations.

If you had bothered to read the first post in this thread, you would have known the process.

Publishing your Top 100 is almost pointless imo. But if you do so, you'll need to also publish the criteria by which you rate them - along the lines of how Mike did in the first post.

And, of course, you will have had to have played them this year or last. Or at least list when you played it. And you would have to be able to 'honestly say that you played every course in the country that would Merritt a place in the top 100' too. I doubt that is the case.

I could do the same, but, given that I've only ever played a couple of hundred and only about a dozen this year, don't see the point - and it would, of course, be rated on 'my criteria' anyway whatever that is.

Last edited:
T

thecraw

If you had bothered to read the first post in this thread, you would have known the process.

Publishing your Top 100 is almost pointless imo. But if you do so, you'll need to also publish the criteria by which you rate them - along the lines of how Mike did in the first post.

And, of course, you will have had to have played them this year or last. Or at least list when you played it. And you would have to be able to 'honestly say that you played every course in the country that would Merritt a place in the top 100' too. I doubt that is the case.

I could do the same, but, given that I've only ever played a couple of hundred and only about a dozen this year, don't see the point - and it would, of course, be rated on 'my criteria' anyway whatever that is.

Its all subjective anyway, really no point in getting your Y-fronts stained over it. However cant wait to see what the "noisy chap" comes up with or where Goswick is placed!!!

:fore:

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its all subjective anyway, really no point in getting your Y-fronts stained over it. However cant wait to see what the "noisy chap" comes up with or where Goswick is placed!!!

Subjective yes but to say that there has been brown envelopes changing hands to get a good ranking is ridiculous

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Bomber,let it go,you are making a tit of yourself much like the last 'Bomber' did on the steps of Castle Greyskull.

Some of the comments you have made are out of order while others are not even worth entertaining.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Yes, I think the whole world (perhaps minus 1:whistle:) agrees that it's subjective.

My only interest in his list is where he places the 'good but not Top 100' ones he's a member of that I've played. His comment about this year's weather most certainly doesn't apply to my area, which contains a number of candidates. I think all it will really show is his bias towards links courses - and maybe/therefore Scottish ones.

I'd also be (slightly) interested in what he thought of Brockett Hall (2), Bearwood Lakes and The Brabazon (just to select a few 'B' ones).

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll answer that for you, yes I'm also sure about that. I've played a good few parkland courses this year in different parts of the country and all have been saturated at different times I've played.

Old Ranfurly - Renfrewshire - saturated - most months
Lochwinnoch - Renfrewshire - saturated - September
Kilmacolm - Renfrewshire - saturated - August
Renfrew - Renfrewshire - total bog - July

Millport - North Ayrshire - saturated - September

Rothesay - Argyll & Bute - saturated - May & August
The Carrick - Argyll & Bute - saturated

Bellisle - South Ayrshire - saturated - August

Letham Grange - Angus - should have worn welly boots - June

Craigmillar Park - L&B - soft as whoopsie - August

Dumfries & County - D&G - very wet under foot - April

Callander - Perthshire - wet but not the worst - May

I think its safe to say that almost if not EVERY inland course in Scotland has suffered this year with the horrendous rain fall we've had. I'm quite sure that they have all been shut this summer at some point.

Then allow me to retort, I agree that yes at times this year most parkland courses will have had periods where they were ridiculously wet; but to suggest, as bomber did, that the vast majority of the nations parkland courses were unplayable this year is utter rubbish.