Carnoustie

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Off to Carnoustie this weekend for first time, playing all three courses there and staying in the hotel on the course. V excited, 8 of us on a road trip.

Any advice, gotchas, things not to miss that we should be aware of?

evemccc

Visit site
You’ll have a great time. The Burnside is very good, the Champ is really excellent….only the 4th and 9th are average holes…the rest superb

Staff I thought were very good - Rookery is good to watch people on the first and 18th….but if you want an old school club atmosphere, head to the Caledonia or Carnoustie Club for food and drink

A super place really, you’ll love it

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Played all 3 courses, and all 3 are better than decent. Think I’ve played the championship course 3 times, and stood on the 17th tee I couldn’t ‘see’ a decent line off the tee. There is one there, I just wasn’t good enough. Found the hotel bar and food to be fine but not full of character. Have a wander into the town and find a decent pub for a change of scenery. The breakfasts were very good.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If there’s two 4 balls ye really ought take at least a caddy or two per group in the Championship. Some won’t be pro caddies, some will be members who caddy on the side. But they will be invaluable in helping you with lines and almost as importantly - finding lost balls. Groups lose a huge amount of time on that. And then the rest of the course either backs up or you leave multiple groups through. I can’t remember how much they are but split between 2 of ye it’s nothing major and by 4 it’s nothing. Just tip him very very well if you’re putting him through that! It’s hard work with 4. Go without if you like but imo you’ll not look back and think about the money.

evemccc

Visit site
The third hole tee shot is as strategic as they come

Loved the second (or third 🤣) shot to the par 4 15th…. Amazing green complex

The last three holes get all the plaudits but the last four holes are really a cut above - and the 15th is every bit as good / hard as nails, as the final three

I played the champ course 4 times in a week courtesy of the Tassie comp (and if I was retired and/or had plenty of time and cash, I’d be there every year) - wonderful course, holiday and experience 🏌🏻❤️

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks for the input gents, all appreciated.

What about restaurant/pub recommendations? Looks to be few restaurants other than Curry and Chinese. Would we be better getting train to Dundee?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the input gents, all appreciated.

What about restaurant/pub recommendations? Looks to be few restaurants other than Curry and Chinese. Would we be better getting train to Dundee?
T' hell with that. Eat in the restaurant in the hotel. Probably the best food I've ever eaten. Curry and Chinese indeed! Go into the changing rooms. Many people don't bother with this, but its all part of it I feel. No need for a caddie either. I shot 4 over my H/C. I actually found it a doddle once I'd calmed down after the first (6).

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
after Muirfield Carnoustie is my 2nd fav course, thought its thought to be a tough test, i think its one of the fairest, good shots get rewarded and poor ones heavily punished. 16th is a par 3 that can wreck a scorecard. ive played it using driver and was short or 7 iron long

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My favourite course of all time. Loved the Old Course for the history and atmosphere and certain iconic moment but Carnoustie challenges you on every shot. I had a wonderful caddy who had so many tales and so patient with my game
Interesting! I have played it twice and except for a few of the holes I am not a fan.
No views whatsoever, that's important to me. The 3 finishing holes I don't like at all. Especially 17, no idea where to go to avoid the snaking burn and potentially a blind shot into the green

Give me the old course, Troon or Muirfield any day of the week before Carnoustie.