GM Top 100 - a year in....

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not me that one I'm afraid, I can't comment on it as I've never played it.

I your going to get all snotty with your posts at least be accurate.

Apologies I've got my wires crossed after you said 'as stupid as yours' . However I stand by the fact that the person that posted that B&B is the only half decent course in the south west Is ridiculous, and that they were suggesting bias to courses south of the border,

Sorry again val

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Apologies I've got my wires crossed after you said 'as stupid as yours' . However I stand by the fact that the person that posted that B&B is the only half decent course in the south west Is ridiculous, and that they were suggesting bias to courses south of the border,

Sorry again val

His prerogative to have that opinion.

Now looking at the criteria again I can't work out for the life of me why Glasgow Gailes doesn't make the top 100 yet other "lesser" courses are included. It has all the "facilities", always in great condition, good layout with a couple of stand out holes, good grub at reasonable prices, good putting and practice facilities.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Now looking at the criteria again I can't work out for the life of me why Glasgow Gailes doesn't make the top 100 yet other "lesser" courses are included. It has all the "facilities", always in great condition, good layout with a couple of stand out holes, good grub at reasonable prices, good putting and practice facilities.

I'm going to try and find that thread as I asked Jezz that question, likewise Archerfield.

I can understand GG getting marked down a bit for the holes around the turn up in the corner but that's about all that's poor

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Sorry again val

No drama.

I've fancied B&B to be fair as I can play it midweek for £20 as I have it on my reciprocal list.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No drama.

I've fancied B&B to be fair as I can play it midweek for £20 as I have it on my reciprocal list.

You may be pleasantly surprised - a very nice course worthy of making the top 100 down the lower end - but not as nice as Saunton and highly unlikely St Enododc (not played but must do next year and a lot of people I trust rate it very highly)

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
You may be pleasantly surprised - a very nice course worthy of making the top 100 down the lower end - but not as nice as Saunton and highly unlikely St Enododc (not played but must do next year and a lot of people I trust rate it very highly)
I agree Saunton stands toe to toe with any links course in GB. Love it

D

Deleted Member 1156

And herein lies the problem. The standard of courses in the top 100 is so high that more than a couple of stand out holes are required. Anyone played Enniscrone? Stunning golf course, one of my favourites but it also doesn't make the top 100 list. All very subjective!

D

Deleted member 15344

No drama.

For £20 that is a bargain

I think it's a cracking course and well worthy on the Top 100. Need to get your scoring done in the front 9. Back 9 is very tough into the wind

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
And therein lies the crux of the issue. Some pretty strong opinions already on what should and shouldn't be in and again for my tuppence Blackmoor ticks all the right boxes. The GM staff have already reiterated a lot of the criteria and so we know what each course has to live up to. I'm surprised if anything that some in the bottom 5-10 don't see-saw more between the top 100 and the next 100 list and that there isn't some more interaction between the two. It does seems a rather static list

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
And herein lies the problem. The standard of courses in the top 100 is so high that more than a couple of stand out holes are required. Anyone played Enniscrone? Stunning golf course, one of my favourites but it also doesn't make the top 100 list. All very subjective!

Disagree, most top courses only have a couple of stand out holes and the rest are solid tough holes. Plenty of courses in that top 100 that only have 2 or 3 stand out holes. Probably all of them actually. If you can take me to a course that has 18 outstanding top notch holes I'll be impressed.

D

Deleted Member 1156

The number of clubs that have 18 standout holes are very few but nearly all the top 100 courses have many standout holes, that is why they are ranked as such. A hole doesn't have to be tough to be good, I can think of many great holes that are relatively easy but they look fantastic stood on the tee or give you options in how to play it. Sunningdale Old is a great example, not the hardest course in the world but it has so many standout holes that you could transplant onto any top course and they would hold up.
I can think of a couple of courses that only have a 2 or 3 standout holes but they get into the top 100 because of other criteria such as conditioning and facilities.

matt611

Head Pro
Visit site

Enniscrone is certainly a stunning course but in my opinion it is not good enough for top 100 (if memory serves it is in the next 100). As you say it is all subjective

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
The number of clubs that have 18 standout holes are very few but nearly all the top 100 courses have many standout holes, that is why they are ranked as such. A hole doesn't have to be tough to be good, I can think of many great holes that are relatively easy but they look fantastic stood on the tee or give you options in how to play it. Sunningdale Old is a great example, not the hardest course in the world but it has so many standout holes that you could transplant onto any top course and they would hold up.
I can think of a couple of courses that only have a 2 or 3 standout holes but they get into the top 100 because of other criteria such as conditioning and facilities.

And there lies the problem with the GM rating. Its about golf courses not facilities. Its called Top 100 Courses.

I can think of a track in Glasgow that has a decent course, a great gym, tennis courts, physio, beauty therapists, swimming pool and excellent food. With the "facilities" it should be a top 100 contender?

Golf Course getting marked down by not having a brilliant bacon roll or the correct wine list. Indeed.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'll now bow out of the thread and respect that opinions are different even if I believe the criteria is absolutely nonsense.

:sbox: