GM top 100 courses 2017

matt611

Head Pro
Visit site
I believe I am right in saying that GM will shortly be releasing its updated 2017 top 100 UK courses and this got me thinking about how it would compare with the previous list of two years ago. I also remembered the Q & A post that the GM team did after the list was released explaining some of their choices - one of the most interesting posts I think there has been on the board.

So do you think there will be any significant changes?

Will Wentworth West continue to tumble down the rankings?
Will Trump Turnberry move up following its recent overhaul?
Will Centurion enter the top 100?
Will Trump international Scotland, a new entry last time, hold steady at 14?
A lot of courses are investing heavily, will it pay off e.g.Woking, Hindhead, Broadstone (hope it is that Dorset course)
Many thought the Belfry was too high ranked
Whilst North Berwick was ranked too low
I also seem to remember some thought The Berkshire was ranked too high for a club that used frozen yorkshire puddings

Please can we keep this thread about the courses rather than the merits of such lists. Also I think the team did a good job in explaining why cost and ease of access does not come into their thinking.

D

Deleted member 1418

I played both the Old Course and the New Course last week and both were fantastic! I'm awaiting a clear couple of hours to write up my review of both, as well as my stay in St Andrews in general - just writing 'amazing' won't do the trip justice!!

Personally don't think the Centurion is quite ready for Top 100, but it is certainly very, very close. Likewise very interested to see where Trump Turnberry ranks (should it be renamed The President's Turnberry?!!)

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played both the Old Course and the New Course last week and both were fantastic! I'm awaiting a clear couple of hours to write up my review of both, as well as my stay in St Andrews in general - just writing 'amazing' won't do the trip justice!!

Personally don't think the Centurion is quite ready for Top 100, but it is certainly very, very close. Likewise very interested to see where Trump Turnberry ranks (should it be renamed The President's Turnberry?!!)

Heard very mixed reviews of centurion in that it had a lot of very bland holes.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think The New is a fantastic course and would possibly be ranked higher if it was an individual club located somewhere other than St Andrews.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Dundonald to get an entry into the top 100, like wise Glasgow Gailes? There's been a bit of work done at Wallasey, unsure if it could scrape in.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I think that when the back 9 holes of Centurion mature, it could well get in, certainly the front 9, carved through woodland is superb
It does need to mature, but certainly in the top 200 after just two/three years.

Broadstone should be in the top 100, though the greens held it back last year. Hopefully will be sorted next year. Great variety of holes, though the odd dodgy member.:whistle:

Murcar can not be far off, and neither can Tandridge. Two courses I was not expecting to be that good, but really surprised me.

Think Liphook is too high. Last five holes are not great, and neither are nine and ten. Greens are as good as you get, but they need the elephant to be dug up from the middle of the 14th green.:eek:

Keep Sunningdale New above the Old. It is the better course.:thup: