Changing courses

HPIMG

Visit site
I am thinking about changing course. My current course I do really like the course it’s really nice but as I’m getting better I’m starting to practice more and my course just has really bad practice facilities, it’s probably the only bad thing I could say about the place but the practice facilities are really that bad.
Recently played another local course it was an enjoyable round of golf and the course was in pristine condition and there practice facilities are unbelievable, full proper driving range plus 3 different large chipping areas. Just thinking if I move it’s a new clubs and having to try and meet new people again. Current club we play in a 4 ball twice a week and there all a good laugh but I really hate there practice facilities.
I am thinking of joining this new club but thinking will I regret it. Just wanted to ask what makes people change courses or stay at a course that maybe there not 100% happy with ?

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It really is a matter of personal choice and what's more important to you. You may have a regular group you play with that you gel with and have become mates and therefore value that more than the better practice area?

I moved house a couple of years ago and drive past half a dozen good quality courses with far better practice facilities, albeit at a significantly higher membership cost, but I have a group of guys with whom I have become good friends at my current course, play in the club league matches, go on a couple of trips with each year and to me that is more important than the convenience and better practice areas of the alternatives.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I’m thinking of moving primarily due to location, we’re moving to a house about 1/2 a mile from this particular club. My lad is already a junior member there, and I’ve been a member there myself in the past - so know quite a few people up there.
There isn’t as much there in terms of facilities, but the course is generally in great condition.
Tempted to go on the flexi points based membership, I’ll get the benefits of membership but save some money to use on opens and away days which I tend to enjoy more than the regular grind of playing the same course a couple of times per week.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm also planning to change clubs this year. It's a strange one for me because personally I'm really enjoying it.
The problem I have is my wife also plays and she hates it. The red tees are only marginally shorter than the yellows and she just finds it to long.
Another negative is when joining I asked about the junior aspect of the club as I'm trying to get my children into golf. They told me they're trying to encourage the junior side but they actually do nothing for them at all.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I am thinking about changing course. My current course I do really like the course it’s really nice but as I’m getting better I’m starting to practice more and my course just has really bad practice facilities, it’s probably the only bad thing I could say about the place but the practice facilities are really that bad.
Recently played another local course it was an enjoyable round of golf and the course was in pristine condition and there practice facilities are unbelievable, full proper driving range plus 3 different large chipping areas. Just thinking if I move it’s a new clubs and having to try and meet new people again. Current club we play in a 4 ball twice a week and there all a good laugh but I really hate there practice facilities.
I am thinking of joining this new club but thinking will I regret it. Just wanted to ask what makes people change courses or stay at a course that maybe there not 100% happy with ?

Which is the better course?

Better condition?
Better layout?
Drains better in the winter?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
If they're both local, is there any reason you can't just use the other club to practice and continue to play at your place?

RichA

Visit site
Depends if you're a member of a golf club to get better at golf or to enjoy playing recreational golf.

HPIMG

Visit site
Which is the better course?

Better condition?
Better layout?
Drains better in the winter?
Current course I would say is maybe slightly better but I am going back tomorrow to play the new course again for a 2nd time.

Both courses are in lovely condition but maybe the new one is slightly better condition.

My course does drain well in winter but I’m told the new course is the same and there both pretty close so I’ll see tomorrow quite a bit of rain yesterday and think it’s to rain tomorrow.

I think I’m leaning towards a change possibly because I play a lot of golf, usually 5 rounds a week. After two years I think I’m looking for a change and a course with better practice facilities.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is there any kind of dirt cheap membership option at the new one that you could take up that allows you to use their practise facilities? Like a 'lifestyle' membership or something like that? Then keep your full membership at the original course as well.

Jason.H

Visit site
Our course has a driving range but no good chipping and pitching area. I tend to have a practice round on my own and have a few chips around the greens.
A good test is to kick the ball off the green if I hit it( not literally ) and then chip and put for a short game test. After 18 holes see how many up and downs you get.

It’s done me well so far.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
…and remember…you change clubs not courses. You need to score both club and course against what you want out of golf and being a member of a club.👍

mikseymono

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thinking of doing this myself........mine is a nice short 12 hole (9 in competition)..parkland course. 12 mins away Take that as muddy for 3 months of the year. Been there 5 years....it has greatly improved in the 15 years I have known it.....but the course is a bit too easy and not really challenging. The flip side is I have made some good golf mates and am in the team for the +50's and mens team...so play alot of competition golf outside the club. There are only around 200 members and 10 single figure handicaps....with me being one of the lowest I quite often come home with the champers after the main comp on a Sunday.........The other course I am considering is a proper 18 hole...close to championship standard, which is next to the sea on sandy soil so can play all year round. We play alot of team comps there and it is really rather lovely. Of course the fees are almost double (€1,400) and would mean I start from scratch on a social point. We are even considering moving so I can be closer to this course and my wife to her favourite swimming pool. (10 mins) There are also some 'plus' golfers there, so winning the scratch prize is going to be challenging....

We are approaching retirement age so hopefully have a few more good years left to 'start' again. Other than tinkering in the garage and faffing around in the garden, golf is what I love and would play a comp every Sunday in the summer and probably two more times that week at other times....they also have excellent practise facilities and club house..........sound like I am talking myself into this even as I type....kind of therapy....:)

Just wondered if any of you kind golfers have started over again.......

Cheers,
M

Mandofred

Visit site
Absolutely. If there is something that works better for me at another course.....I'm on my way. The course I'm likely to be at next year I'm already a member at (and another club)....practice facilities are crap. But they offer other things that make it worth my time/money.