GM Top 100 rankings - live Q&A today 1-3pm

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
For me, I like to be welcomed as a member for the day and many courses do that unfortunately the larger the venue the harder it is for them to do, the Belfry being an example but they do as well as they can. I will say that Muirfield has that member for the day experience IMO, you never feel out of place in the clubhouse or on the course at all, great venue and the lunch, it has to be experienced.

A round at Muirfield without lunch is a missed experience.

Will also say North Berwick the day before made us feel equally at home, really adds to the experience stuff like that.

Don't know if it still there, but when I visited North Berwick some years ago there was a sign by the clubhouse reminding visitors that their green fee made them a member for the day and as such they were entitled to use all the facilities of the clubhouse where the other members would make them welcome. I have to say that they lived up to that for both myself & Mrs BiM who walked the course with us. Cracking course & reception, glad to know that they are keeping up the standards.

Edit; looks like it is still there;

http://www.northberwickgolfclub.com/welcome-to-visitors/

Last edited:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Until this year i would have agreed with you Martin. We went a at the end of Oct and was served the smallest piece of roast beef you could imagine. when i questioned the extremely surly Chef she said there were other diners to come... which there weren't!!!

The other times we have been you are given a nice couple of slices of Sirloin, not sure what this was but not worth the £25, but maybe that was because we were with a member the last time.

Try Lydd. You get a full english breakfast and 18 holes for £14.00.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For me, I like to be welcomed as a member for the day and many courses do that unfortunately the larger the venue the harder it is for them to do, the Belfry being an example but they do as well as they can. I will say that Muirfield has that member for the day experience IMO, you never feel out of place in the clubhouse or on the course at all, great venue and the lunch, it has to be experienced.

A round at Muirfield without lunch is a missed experience.

I had a cracking welcome at Ganton on the two occasions I've played it, couldn't do enough for me.

However, a few people have mentioned less than satisfactory welcomes. Just shows.

D

Deleted member 3432

lue in Munich;1190441 said:
Don't know if it still there, but when I visited North Berwick some years ago there was a sign by the clubhouse reminding visitors that their green fee made them a member for the day and as such they were entitled to use all the facilities of the clubhouse where the other members would make them welcome. I have to say that they lived up to that for both myself & Mrs BiM who walked the course with us. Cracking course & reception, glad to know that they are keeping up the standards.

Edit; looks like it is still there;

http://www.northberwickgolfclub.com/welcome-to-visitors/

We had the misfortune to wander into the clubhouse at North Berwick thinking we would have a coffee. We were not playing the course, cheaper options on the trip at Gullane, Archer field and Dunbar.
It was made clear at the door that as we were not playing the course we were not allowed in.
No wish to play there if that is the attitude of the club.
I am a member of a top 100 club and the welcome you get there is like chaulk and chess compared to North Berwick.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
We had the misfortune to wander into the clubhouse at North Berwick thinking we would have a coffee. We were not playing the course, cheaper options on the trip at Gullane, Archer field and Dunbar.
It was made clear at the door that as we were not playing the course we were not allowed in.
I am a member of a top 100 club and the welcome you get there is like chaulk and chess compared to North Berwick.

Can't comment on NB as years since I've played it but Silloth, the welcome and the food are absolutely tremendous :thup:

I love the whole place at Silloth, will definitely be up there for a game next year.

Whole thread has been a really good read

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great hole if you're a good player, but I'm not sure otherwise, especially if it's into the wind

http://www.royalcountydown.org/championship-links-hole13.aspx

It is a classic links par 4. Into the wind, maybe a 4 and a half or 5. The problem for a lot of players is that they expect to hit the green, even when faced with a blind second of over 200 yards over the hump on the right. The wise player knows that knocking one over that, short of the green, is just fine and they can try for a chip and putt par.

I have played it quite a few times and have hit everything from a 9 iron to timber into it, and have had a range of scores from birdie to blob. I used to be a member at Silloth and I think it has a number of similar, possibly more difficult, holes.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site

If you were not spoken to politely and respectfully then that is a bad reflection on the club and a disappointment.

Whether private members clubs located in the centre of a touristy town should open their doors to the public for coffee is a different debate (and maybe a different thread). For what it is worth I know for sure that non-playing companions of paying visitors are welcome in the clubhouse.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
We were invited into the Kingsbarns clubhouse for a coffee and bun although we were not playing. We had jeans on as we were just having a look round before we flew home, but the manager told us not to worry. Incredibly friendly, just a shame the green fee of £200 odd will always put me off playing there.

Another very friendly club was St Andrews Castle. In fact everyone from the starter, halfway hut lady to the manager, waitresses could not have been more friendly. For some reason i was surprised but having played a few Scottish courses now, it seems to be the norm. Same treatment at Carnoustie, although they did laugh at us playing in the driving rain and wind. We did have the course to ourselves though.:eek: The lady in the Pro shop was also the starter, and she insisted on coming out to start us. Just makes your day that bit better when you are treated so well.:thup:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

It is a classic links par 4. Into the wind, maybe a 4 and a half or 5. The problem for a lot of players is that they expect to hit the green, even when faced with a blind second of over 200 yards over the hump on the right. The wise player knows that knocking one over that, short of the green, is just fine and they can try for a chip and putt par.

I have played it quite a few times and have hit everything from a 9 iron to timber into it, and have had a range of scores from birdie to blob. I used to be a member at Silloth and I think it has a number of similar, possibly more difficult, holes.

Playing the course next April, and looking forward to be able to enter into teh debate.

Interesting point about a hole being great for a good golfer Jezz, and not for others of less ability. Surely that must make assessing a course even harder ? Carnoustie has some great tough holes, but I never thought they should be judged as too difficult for the average golfer.

D

Deleted member 3432

If you were not spoken to politely and respectfully then that is a bad reflection on the club and a disappointment.

Whether private members clubs located in the centre of a touristy town should open their doors to the public for coffee is a different debate (and maybe a different thread). For what it is worth I know for sure that non-playing companions of paying visitors are welcome in the clubhouse.

The chap on the door was polite enough. He did say however that the members inside would take issue to us being there.
It was a cold April afternoon so the town wasn't exactly rammed with tourists!

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The chap on the door was polite enough. He did say however that the members inside would take issue to us being there.
It was a cold April afternoon so the town wasn't exactly rammed with tourists!

Just enforcing club policy I think - let me know if your coming by again and, dairies permitting, I'll try and change your mind while we play the course :)

D

Deleted member 3432

Can't comment on NB as years since I've played it but Silloth, the welcome and the food are absolutely tremendous :thup:

I love the whole place at Silloth, will definitely be up there for a game next year.

Whole thread has been a really good read

Give me a shout and if I'm free I'll sign you on.

D

Deleted member 3432

Just enforcing club policy I think - let me know if your coming by again and, dairies permitting, I'll try and change your mind while we play the course :)

Very kind of you, it does look like a proper golf course.

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site

I don't think they would be alone in not serving food and drink to those not playing the course...

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm playing there next June - can't wait