DATE change >> Top 100 forum Q&A - Thursday December 8 12-1pm

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Mike,
When we hear about courses like Machrie Golf Links on The Isle of Islay being restored, how quick does a course like this have a chance of being reviewed and making an impact on the top 200 ?

It will certainly be under very close scrutiny for our next rankings as you might hope for a course that was at one time in the Top 100. It seems the work has taken a little longer than originally envisaged, and while our colleagues at a rival mag have the course at 54th even though it isn't yet complete, the assessment system we operate means that we must wait until the course is fully ready before it can be re-evaluated.

As the process was coming to a close this time round, we checked to see how things were going and a message on the Islay Golf Club's website in Sept/Oct indicated that only 14 holes were in play at that stage.

I, for one, am hoping to get up there next year, with a view to also checking on the progress on the Ardfin course on Jura next door, though if the latter's originally stated business model comes to pass, it would be ineligible for our rankings under our new rule on exclusive clubs

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

It will certainly be under very close scrutiny for our next rankings as you might hope for a course that was at one time in the Top 100. It seems the work has taken a little longer than originally envisaged, and while our colleagues at a rival mag have the course at 54th even though it isn't yet complete, the assessment system we operate means that we must wait until the course is fully ready before it can be re-evaluated.

As the process was coming to a close this time round, we checked to see how things were going and a message on the Islay Golf Club's website in Sept/Oct indicated that only 14 holes were in play at that stage.

I, for one, am hoping to get up there next year, with a view to also checking on the progress on the Ardfin course on Jura next door, though if the latter's originally stated business model comes to pass, it would be ineligible for our rankings under our new rule on exclusive clubs
Thanks Jezz, much appreciatted, if you need a pp when you visit I'd be happy to help 😃

If you took away everything but the course, (Clubhouse etc) would your choice of favourite course change?

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've not been over to play it Steve but heard good reports. three a load of the more remote scottish and irish courses that I need to get to

A fantastic course Mike a so many holes that could be a signature hole, also Donegal (Murvagh) and Dooks Links in Kerry fantastic courses and very friendly people.