GM Top 100 rankings - live Q&A today 1-3pm

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Hi all
Here's your chance to ask anything you want to about the GM Top100 course rankings that were published last week
From 1-3pm today I will be online with my two fellow senior panelists Jezz Ellwood and Rob Smith.
Between us we have played every course in the Top 200 with Jezz having played every one of the current Top 100 and Rob all bar Close House (I'm lagging at 74).
You can start posting up questions on this thread now and if you don't see this until after the Q&A finishes we'll be checking in regularly and replying in the coming days
Let the debate begin!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Many of these courses seem to be at the very top end of the green fee scale (if they let visitors on at all) and does exclusivity and the cost play a part in the decision process and would there be an argument for introducing a similar top 100 for courses far more attainable for the majority of golfers. I totally understand the aura and uniqueness of an Old Course ar St Andrews etc and for a one off treat I'd have no qualms paying top price. However to play a lot in the top 100 especially in the golfing season (April-OCtober) cost would be seen as prohibitive for a lot of people

D

Deleted member 15344

How can a course that doesn't allow visitors be judged on their "welcome" ?

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
With relation to Homers post, why hasn't there been a top 100 courses under £100 been done? With some of those green fees in excess of £200, to play the top 100 courses would cost more than most can afford, that is if you can even get a round on them.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
are courses reassessed every time or just past experience used? Also, do factors such as weather/performance affect your opinion of the course (i know mine do).

how is West Sussex ranked so highly in the rankings all the time? 1 450yd par 5? only 2 balls allowed? dont get it. never will.

matt611

Head Pro
Visit site
Is it possible to publish the scores of the top 200?

and

Since you started compiling the top 100 what are the biggest changes/trends you have seen at courses?

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
What courses do the various panellists really disagree on (if any)? What courses produce your biggest debates? And do any of you have a personal favourite course you'd love to see on the list but can't get it there based on the formal points system or can't convince the others to back?

D

Deleted member 1147

When assessing the quality of test & design of a course do you take into account different playing ability and style of play?

For example some courses would be long slogs for shorter hitters, especially if they are taking a lot of shots as well.
Whereas other courses might be very tight and a big hitter (perhaps not the most accurate) might find this less interesting if having to hold back.

matt611

Head Pro
Visit site
County Sligo is a new entry at 93 in your list despite you saying it is one of Colts best courses. What has changed to warrant its inclusion? Personally I am very happy to see it in the top 100

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Experience : Do the Clubs know when you are coming to play the courses, and if so doesn't that affect the welcome/experience you receive ? I would imagine the red carpet is rolled out when a GM staffer is playing.:)

Condition and presentation : Do you visit courses in the winter and summer to assess condition and presentation ? Most courses will look great in the summer months, but the rest of the year they may be poor. I have played a lot of the top 100 courses in the winter when the green fees are much more reasonable. Courses like Saunton are still in top condition, where as some can be soggy, muddy and not worth the winter green fees.

D

Deleted member 1147

You obviously can't be playing all courses in the country, so how do you decide which to play and how can you be sure you aren't missing a potential new entrant to the top 200 courses listed?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
whats the main panelists criteria in..

a) Setting out which courses to have in the pool before establishing a shortlist? i.e last years top 100 or do you collate from another external list as the foundation.

b) how much weight is afforded the scale based on the users personal playing round i.e great round good review, crap round with bad luck lesser review? or do you have a process to ensure that doesn't sway a rating?

c) Should future ratings have a bigger weighting towards a large poll from actual golfers as opposed to a few therefore minimising personal preferences?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Do courses invite you to come and assess them for possible inclusion in the list & what ratio of courses did the three named in the OP visit for this list as opposed to the other assessors that go round

Edit: does a course visit for this list center around playing a round of golf or do you go to assess the course first and maybe knock a fair few shots as part of the visit to test the holes etc

edit edit: do you show the 5 category marks achieved anywhere?
i.e if a top 100/200 club scores near perfection in 4 areas but isn't number one because their welcome is the pits, how would potential visitors know?

Last edited:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the Top 100 discussion thread, I felt a bit of a lone voice supporting (and understanding) the positions of Royal Liverpool and the Belfry. These 2 venue's seem to come in for forum critisism year after year......could you explain the theory behind how these ended up where they did.

thanks

S

Snelly

How can a course that doesn't allow visitors be judged on their "welcome" ?

Because it is about ranking the top 100 courses. Not about ranking the top 100 courses with a few caveats added to cater to the moans and whines of a few online class warriors who don't like being excluded.

Or maybe they are judged on their welcome and don't score very highly??

S

Snelly

My question is in which categories does Muirfield outscore RCD? I have played both, the latter a few times, and just don't see how anyone would think Muirfield is better. I concede that the food is better at Muirfield, probably.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
sorry been held up in a meeting and Rob can't log-in to the forum so his responses will come through a doris stokes medium (aka me or jezz)