golf equipment - your questions wanted!

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
I would like to see the magazine do a piece regarding Fitness plans for golf? The benefits of different type of exercises - and even include a workout booklet or weekly planner. For example I've starting doing yoga and have felt an improve in my game and overall lifestyle.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
How often do we really "need" to change our drivers , is there a time limit on the effectiveness of the trampoline effect in the face .. ?

How many holes/rounds are the current "premium balls" at their best for ..?

Where is best to get fitted re choice , there is a fear most sales people will fit you for what they want to SELL rather than what u need , what would your thoughts be on this ?

Do beginners get full value from premium gear or should they start with basic stuff n build up as their game progresses ?

EDITED highlighted part should be sell not see as per original post .

Merv_swerve

Challenge Tour Pro
goo.gl
Despite claims that driving distances have barely changed in the last 10 or 15 years we're still seeing old courses needing to add yardage and having to redesign holes.

Several influential figures are calling for the ball to be reined back, what are your thoughts please?

Yes - thoughts on golf balls please
Several TV people often mention the ball as a key factor when talking about how the long is being taken to a new level by the big hitting pros. Is it really a major factor, in need of more regulation than drivers?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If the game did decide to reign in the ball (& given that every new driver is designed to maximise distance on a current spec ball) What would the likely effect be on existing driver distances (not talking about drivers that would come after a new ball)

So everything would be hit shorter but would it remain relative to existing distances, i.e would an existing M2 still be the daddy or might a current Wilson or Fraser driver suddenly become the longest?

Jtadman

Hacker
Visit site
Hi Tiger,

Thanks for the question and I hope you enjoyed the FB Live yesterday.

It's true that RRPs have gone up fairly significantly in 2017. This is partly down the technology - the new materials that manufacturers are using now are much more expensive, and some of the hit has to be taken by the consumer unfortunately. A weakening pound against the dollar is also a contributing factor post-brexit to the price increase.

From our testing experience, drivers from generation to generation only achieve marginal gains... but it's nice to have the latest gear in the bag, right? If your driver is 3-4 models older than the current one, you're likely to see a much bigger gain in performance, mostly around forgiveness and adjustability but also the shaft technology and options too.

Hope this helps!
Thanks, JT

Jtadman

Hacker
Visit site
Joel T WITB

2017 TaylorMade M1 driver, Aldila Rogue 70 x-stiff, 10°, low spin, 2 clicks in draw.
2017 M1 fairway wood, 15°, neutral, stock stiff shaft
2017 M1 Resuce, 19°, 2 clicks in fade, stock stiff shaft
Ping iBlade irons, DG X100 shafts, 4-PW
Mizuno S5 50° wedge
Cleveland RTX-3 wedges, 54° and 58°
Yes! Golf Courtney putter, G-Rip mid size grip.
Titleist Pro V1x ball

Cheers, JT

Jtadman

Hacker
Visit site
Hi Merve,

Thanks for the question and I hope you enjoyed the FB Live yesterday.

This is a tricky one. Amateur golfers like to relate and aspire to be tour pros - they can play the same clubs, the same courses plus one set of rules brings everyone together. If they use a different ball, suddenly they're playing a different game.

That said, at Tour level, reducing the distance of the ball by say 10 per cent, certainly has its potential advantages. It would place more emphasis on the players’ skill level, they'd be forced to hit driver more (something we all want to see). It would also reduce the need for extreme course set ups, especially in majors – no more narrow fairways, long rough, really firm greens, that detracts from the viewing experience. More courses would be deemed suitable for Tour tournaments (a major at a regular PGA tour venue like Quail Hollow just feels weird, right?).

One final plus could be an increase in pace of play as players wouldn't be waiting as long for the group in front to move out of range.

Hope this answers your question, thanks for tuning in.

Joel

Jtadman

Hacker
Visit site
Hi HomerJ,

Thanks for your question and I hope you enjoyed the FB live yesterday.

It's true, iron lofts are getting stronger - the number on the bottom of your iron really doesn’t mean that much any more. When you hit your 7-iron past your mate's old 5-iron, it must feel good right?

While it is happening, golfers probably aren’t noticing it in the ball flight because manufacturers are able to get the ball launching much higher through lower CG, more flexible lower portions of the clubface etc.

The 2017 TaylorMade M2 pitching wedge is 43.5°, for example, which certainly opens up the need for another wedge if you carry a sand and lob wedge additionally.

I'm not sure it comes at the cost of side-to-side dispersion, as the irons that are getting stronger in loft are game improver models that have even more forgiveness built in. I'd say front to back dispersion is perhaps suffering more, with some shots struck out of the screws perhaps going further than expected.

The irons most of the pros are are fairly traditional in loft - they haven't really changed much down the years. Mizuno MP irons current 7-iron loft is 34° and it has been this for as long as I can remember. The distance the pros hit the ball is mostly down to the modern golf ball.

Cheers, Joel

Jtadman

Hacker
Visit site
Hi,

What is Joel Tadman background? I gather he was with Today`s Golfer previously. Has he worked for a manufacture or is he a club designer/ sales manager for a big equipment company?

Thx

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your question. A little bit about me then. Nope I'm not a club designer, nor do I work for a manufacturer. Perhaps one day...!! After graduating with a Sport Journalism degree from Brighton University, my first job was Deputy Editor of Middle East Golfer magazine in Dubai. I was only there for 6 months but it was a terrific experience, as I'm sure you can imagine. I believe the magazine is no longer around. You are correct in that I then joined Today's Golfer as Instruction Editor. I was in that role for 4 years before becoming equipment editor for a further two years. I then joined Mike and the team at Golf Monthly as Technical Editor, that was two years ago. During my time on both publications I have spent a lot of time with pros learning about the golf swing and the intricacies of golf equipment - I'd like to think I have a good understanding of both to provide insight into how changes in technique and golf clubs can help a golfer's performance.

In terms of my golf, I've played since the age of 10. My lowest handicap has been 2.8, I'm currently off 4.6.

Cheers,
Joel

Jtadman

Hacker
Visit site
How often do we really "need" to change our drivers , is there a time limit on the effectiveness of the trampoline effect in the face .. ?

How many holes/rounds are the current "premium balls" at their best for ..?

Where is best to get fitted re choice , there is a fear most sales people will fit you for what they want to see rather than what u need , what would your thoughts be on this ?

Do beginners get full value from premium gear or should they start with basic stuff n build up as their game progresses ?

Hi there,

Lots of questions to tackle here!
Yes, there is a limit to a driver's spring like effect off the face. The USGA and R&A limits the COR of the sweetspot, coefficient of restitutuon, which measures of the energy transfer between two objects. It’s measured from 0 – 1, USGA deemed the limit to be 0.83, meaning a club was non conforming if more than 83 percent of the energy was transferred from club to ball.

Manufacturers are constantly improving the ball speed from impact locations around the sweetspot trying the make them as close as possible. It's marginal gains every year but it's not the only gain manufacturers are creating there's also advances in graphite and carbon fibre that makes the clubhead more forgiving, more adjustability, better stock shaft options etc.

I'd recommend changing drivers every 2-3 years, I think you'd see a big enough improvement to justify the investment that way.

I find that the durability of premium balls is improving all the time and that a ball will last an entire round (providing I don't lose it!). If it's been rattling around in the trees or bouncing on paths and there are visible scuffs or scratches, I'd change it sooner. I then transfer the ball into 'practice' mode where I use it to chip and putt with before a round.

The best choice re fitting is to try as many different products as you can, on a reputable launch monitor (GC2, Trackman, Flightscope, SkyTrak are all good ones) under the watchful eye of a PGA Pro. Only that way will you know which club performs best for you.

Cheers, Joel

Jtadman

Hacker
Visit site
Are PXG clubs merely a status symbol for the rich and wealthy or do you guys actually feel that there is value at their price point ????

Hi Drew,

I've personally never tested a PXG club - they're quite difficult to get hold of. But the reviews I've seen online have been very positive and the performance seems to stack up with the other, more mainstream manufacturers. Hopefully we'll get the chance to test them in the near future.

Cheers, Joel

Jtadman

Hacker
Visit site
What handicap range do you think gets the most help from technology as I think the lower you get the less technology is needed .?

Where is the cut off for low men to lessen the help from technology.?

Good question sir,

Golf can be an expensive sport if you go all out from the start, which is why generally it’s advised to ease into it, perhaps buy a half set, or lower price point clubs or even second hand clubs initially to see if its something you want to pursue. Then start increasing the investment you make in your clubs along with lessons, you should then see your scores improve over time.

I agree in that low handicaps will see the benefit from new technology less than mid or high handicappers, but that's not to say there wouldn't be a benefit at all. With low handicappers, it's all about marginal gains here or there, and golf equipment is one place where you could get one.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi there,

Lots of questions to tackle here!
Yes, there is a limit to a driver's spring like effect off the face. The USGA and R&A limits the COR of the sweetspot, coefficient of restitutuon, which measures of the energy transfer between two objects. It’s measured from 0 – 1, USGA deemed the limit to be 0.83, meaning a club was non conforming if more than 83 percent of the energy was transferred from club to ball.

Manufacturers are constantly improving the ball speed from impact locations around the sweetspot trying the make them as close as possible. It's marginal gains every year but it's not the only gain manufacturers are creating there's also advances in graphite and carbon fibre that makes the clubhead more forgiving, more adjustability, better stock shaft options etc.

I'd recommend changing drivers every 2-3 years, I think you'd see a big enough improvement to justify the investment that way.

I find that the durability of premium balls is improving all the time and that a ball will last an entire round (providing I don't lose it!). If it's been rattling around in the trees or bouncing on paths and there are visible scuffs or scratches, I'd change it sooner. I then transfer the ball into 'practice' mode where I use it to chip and putt with before a round.

The best choice re fitting is to try as many different products as you can, on a reputable launch monitor (GC2, Trackman, Flightscope, SkyTrak are all good ones) under the watchful eye of a PGA Pro. Only that way will you know which club performs best for you.

Cheers, Joel
Thank you :thup: