Best area of Scotland for golf

evemccc

Visit site
As the title suggests, which of the Big 5 areas are the ‘best’ for golf in Scotland?
Does your answer differ based on whether you’re considering a golf holiday there, or whether you’re living there and playing locally?

Pros and cons please..

1) Scotlands ‘golf coast’ - East Lothian
2) Ayrshire
3 Highlands
4) Aberdeenshire coast
5) Fife

I’d go with Ayrshire for a golfing holiday - ease of access, 3 excellent open venues + the excellent W Gailes….but perhaps a less ‘Romantic’ (in golfing terms, not with the other half!) trip somehow.
I particularly like how contrasting the open venues are

No idea about the second part of my question..

Golfnut1957

Visit site
You've missed out the Borders. Some cracking course there, the likes of West Linton, Peebles, Hawick, Torwoodlee etc. They used to do a Borders golf pass, The Freedom of the Fairways. It was a steal and a no-brainer for anyone visiting the area. It was so good they ended it.

evemccc

Visit site
You've missed out the Borders. Some cracking course there, the likes of West Linton, Peebles, Hawick, Torwoodlee etc. They used to do a Borders golf pass, The Freedom of the Fairways. It was a steal and a no-brainer for anyone visiting the area. It was so good they ended it.

Thanks for the heads-up on these courses ?
Not disputing whether or not they’re good courses, nor worth playing, but overwhelmingly they’re not in the same calibre as the other areas nor have the same attractions to attract people there purely for a golf holiday, and nor do they attract the same numbers

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The West is definitely wetter than the East so Ayrshire is more likely to come a cropper due to rain. South Ayrshire is reasonably attractive down at Turnberry but the further North you get it becomes a bit more industrial so the scenery isn't quite as attractive, though Arran can look good from most aspects.
Highlands are scenically stunning though maybe have fewer 'classic' courses.

East Lothian and Fife both very pleasant and pricey but generally dryish. Never golfed much in Aberdeen outside of the Dee valley, will have to give it a go.

I'd hate to have to list them in order. I just enjoy them.

evemccc

Visit site
Don't forget Speyside/Moray as well. Ok, they may not be the same calibre or attract the same number (to quote) but this can make them more of a bargain if you are on a golf trip.

Fraserburgh, Cruden Bay, Murcur, Moray, Duff House Royal, plus all the ones I’ve not heard of?, plus Trump Aberdeen and Royal…it’s some area alright

evemccc

Visit site
The West is definitely wetter than the East so Ayrshire is more likely to come a cropper due to rain. South Ayrshire is reasonably attractive down at Turnberry but the further North you get it becomes a bit more industrial so the scenery isn't quite as attractive, though Arran can look good from most aspects.
Highlands are scenically stunning though maybe have fewer 'classic' courses.

East Lothian and Fife both very pleasant and pricey but generally dryish. Never golfed much in Aberdeen outside of the Dee valley, will have to give it a go.

I'd hate to have to list them in order. I just enjoy them.

True…I hadn’t factored in the weather

I think the Sandy turf is the same though, there was no discernible difference in that, despite the west of scotland getting much more rain

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I think the Sandy turf is the same though, there was no discernible difference in that, despite the west of scotland getting much more rain
I think you need to quantify what you are looking for and time of the year And the cost. How far you want to travel, how many days golfing Bear in mind the alleged midges on The West Coast

evemccc

Visit site
I think you need to quantify what you are looking for and time of the year And the cost. How far you want to travel, how many days golfing Bear in mind the alleged midges on The West Coast

No I’m not planning a specific trip, I was creating a thread to talk and hear opinions about the merits of different regions and courses in Scotland. And if living there provided different perspectives than one-week-wonder golf tourists

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Midges are very rarely a problem on links courses, they don't fly in the wind.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I have been going on a trip to Moray for about the last ten years, we base in Elgin and about an hours drive max gives a choice of plenty of great courses, no midges (late May) we have experienced all the different types of British weather sometimes all in the same round.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Have been up and down from Scotland a fair few times over the past 4 - 5 years, and love it up there. So much so that I'm relocating there next week (in case I haven't mentioned it before - starting to get excited about it :). I haven't really found anywhere I haven't liked as yet, although my favorite courses are Dornoch & Brora, I've enjoyed pretty much all that I have played. I am looking forward to being able to play an awful lot more this season, the play list just keeps growing....

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Plus The Hirsel and The Roxburghe ?. I did a smashing 2 day trip with some friends covering those two last summer. I'd happily repeat it.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Was also going to mention the weather. I book holidays to scotland every year, the weather is literally the most important variable, as pretty much everywhere has golf we'd enjoy. Hence east coast for me.
But tbh, Scotland has fabulous golf everywhere, lucky sods.

evemccc

Visit site
I really enjoyed Arran, although with modern clubs I imagine it would be a bit underwhelming in terms of challenge.

I played Corrie and Lochranza as a teenager with my Dad - both with a half-set each of my Grandfather’s blades from yesteryear. Some of my best golfing memories

Money in a tin type of place, played 45 holes in a day - absolute Millionaires golf (at least back then)