Looking for a new club in Scotland

Jungle

Head Pro
Visit site
Sounds like you need the benefits of two courses.

One close to home during the summer as others have said, travel can be a real chore for golf and a links course for a bit of variety and winter golf.

Not sure what your budget is, however with most courses offering discounted memberships to your age group, running two memberships might not be too much of a dent on the wallet.

Leven Thistle would work out at £300 for a yearly membership although we do play off mats from November to March.

PaulyMcK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi folks,

Long time lurker just looking for some local knowledge and advice.

I live in Cumbernauld and I'm on the lookout for a new club. I have been playing for around a year and a half and would say I'm absolutely hooked, I'm out any time I get a chance and keep chipping away at my scores. I'm a 23 handicap at the moment. I play right through the winter and it needs to be pretty grim outside to keep me away.

I currently play at the much maligned Westerwood. It's a brilliant layout IMO but suffers badly in any wet weather and I've decided I won't be keeping it on next year with other better options out there. I also hold an 18-25, intermediate membership for the Fairmont in St Andrews which cost me £250 for the year and have found myself driving up there most weekends to play courses in better condition, unfortunately I'm 26 next month so won't be eligible for next year.

With all that in mind I'm looking for a new place. I don't mind a bit of a drive for a playable course over Winter as I know the courses in the Glasgow area suffer in the weather. At the age of 26, I'll still be eligible for some Intermediate subs which seem to offer the best value. I'd even consider a combination of two cheaper courses, one nearby and one a bit further afield.

I know Cawder gets a good name and has a deal on now for £500 with no joining fee. The two courses are attractive as I'd hopefully not struggle for a tee time, I just wonder how it deals with the wet weather.

The Fife courses seem to offer good value and I could join Aberdour for £280 as a country member (>30 miles). I also played in deepest darkest January up at St Michaels, no mats or winter greens and really enjoyed it, again similar to Aberdour but a treck and a half.

Prestwick St Nicholas has been highly recommended to me as well and has good value intermediate subs. I love links courses, but have found it a bit busy on my few rounds on the Ayrshire coast.

Anyway folks, they're just a few examples out of thin air. I'm very open minded but course condition and all year playability are my first priorities. There's so much choice so I would value everyone's recommendations!

Cheers,

Gavin

Welcome to the Forum Gavin! I was in the exact same shoes as you this time last year, was previously a member at Brucefields Golf in Stirling, and was looking for more from a golf club. I live in Cumbernauld myself so looked at the prospect of joining Dullatur, Westerwood and Hayston. With the help of @ger147 I eventually joined Dullatur and it has been the best decision for me. I got exactly what I was looking for, plus more. It really has changed my game and opinion of golf.

Even the courses I have played as a visitor this year (inc. Westerwood) haven't came close to Dullatur, especially with the wet summer we had around. I agree the layout of Westerwood is great but the recent changes that have been made there are slowly declining what's on offer.

Would highly recommend it even through Winter. As others have said, we have two courses the Antonine and the Carrickstone. The Carrickstone plays off of fairway rules mats throughout winter but the Antonine doesn't. There is also a Winter Competition that's run as well on the weekends, which also has a really good turn out.

Best of luck in what ever you decide. :thup:

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Have cawder sorted themselves out yet? There was a huge upheaval there last year with over 100 members walking out due to a dodgy membership deal being offered to ex police etc.
To be honest hardly any of the course in your area will offer year round golf without mats or winter greens. Most of them will get very wet.
Glenbervie is a good course, probably the best in the area but it's very pricey in comparison with other courses round about it, as you're under 29 you won't have to pay the joining fee but you will have to pay it when yo turn 29. Was £1000 last I knew. Same again for fees.
Maybe the 2 course option would be better? One closer to home so you aren't driving miles every time you want to play and maybe a winter membership on the coast.
I know a few guys that play at Grangemouth and join niddrie castle in Broxburn for winter golf although not a links it's has full greens nearly all year round. I'd need to ask again but I'm sure they didn't pay much for niddrie castle either.

Do you know if Niddry Castle runs comps through the winter? Looks a good course. Might be tempted if they have comps. It's only £135 for 6 months.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Winterfield GC run comps all through the winter, don't know about winter membership though :thup:

Geez. £292 for full annual membership or £123 for winter. Would be an absolute no brainer if it wasn't 2 hours away. Don't mind up to an hour but anything more and HID would divorce me. Suppose that would leave me more time for golf 😄. Cheers.

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
Niddrie castle is offering a 6 month winter deal for £135. Haven't played it myself so not sure what the course is like.
Crail is MILES away, 150 miles round, easy a 3 hour round trip, probably more. Some trek for a game of golf.
Glenbervie is a good course but it still gets very wet in winter.
Tryst is a good option, course is a bit bland though, Falkirk carmuirs have done a huge amount of work on the drainage of the course, still gets wet but is much better than it used to be.

I hate Niddry Castle, the first 5-6 holes are quirky and very close together and it can be quite dangerous in places. For instance, the fifth green lies directly in the path off the tee for the 6th and the pair share the fairway; it opens out after the 7th hole and generally is in decent nick, and usually playable when other courses in the area - mine included - are struggling in the wet.

It is very much a marmite layout though, which i find it quite boring. The Ayrshire Golf deal is good value.. .£170 for access to Troon Darley and Lochgreen plus shorter courses at Troon Fullarton and Girvan.

HDID Kenny

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Geez. £292 for full annual membership or £123 for winter. Would be an absolute no brainer if it wasn't 2 hours away. Don't mind up to an hour but anything more and HID would divorce me. Suppose that would leave me more time for golf 😄. Cheers.

If I can swing it I will be taking out Country Membership at Machrihanish Dunes £225 a monthly vist for the medal makes the day out worthwhile.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
If I can swing it I will be taking out Country Membership at Machrihanish Dunes £225 a monthly vist for the medal makes the day out worthwhile.

Mach Dunes pee pee's over any membership offer in Britain at that price.

Only GM doesn't rate it.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site

That's a great price. Off to machrihanish at the end of the month. Playing the old, dunes and Dunaverty. Don't fancy doing it for a day trip. That's a long, long day.

Gav212

Visit site
Hello folks,

Thanks for all the brilliant advice, plenty of options to consider.

I've also had a couple of very kind offers from members to take me out on their courses, I'll be sure to reply directly shortly.

At the moment it's looking like I'll plump for somewhere nearby, Dullatur and Cawder are both appealing with their two courses. I'm not a great player, but taking it seriously so really looking to get involved in as much competition as I can, it can only help me improve, both clubs seem to have good setups in this regard.

Glenbervie looks like a cracking course, but not as handy for after work in the summer months. (I work in Glasgow City Centre). Still, it does represent good value with the great reciprocal arrangements.

Any opinions on Kirkintilloch?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hello folks,

Thanks for all the brilliant advice, plenty of options to consider.

I've also had a couple of very kind offers from members to take me out on their courses, I'll be sure to reply directly shortly.

At the moment it's looking like I'll plump for somewhere nearby, Dullatur and Cawder are both appealing with their two courses. I'm not a great player, but taking it seriously so really looking to get involved in as much competition as I can, it can only help me improve, both clubs seem to have good setups in this regard.

Glenbervie looks like a cracking course, but not as handy for after work in the summer months. (I work in Glasgow City Centre). Still, it does represent good value with the great reciprocal arrangements.

Any opinions on Kirkintilloch?
My mate played their open a few week ago , he said it was absolutely splunging and should've been cancelled.

BTW, It's a very nice course when dry.