Looking for a new club in Scotland

Gav212

Visit site
Hi folks,

Long time lurker just looking for some local knowledge and advice.

I live in Cumbernauld and I'm on the lookout for a new club. I have been playing for around a year and a half and would say I'm absolutely hooked, I'm out any time I get a chance and keep chipping away at my scores. I'm a 23 handicap at the moment. I play right through the winter and it needs to be pretty grim outside to keep me away.

I currently play at the much maligned Westerwood. It's a brilliant layout IMO but suffers badly in any wet weather and I've decided I won't be keeping it on next year with other better options out there. I also hold an 18-25, intermediate membership for the Fairmont in St Andrews which cost me £250 for the year and have found myself driving up there most weekends to play courses in better condition, unfortunately I'm 26 next month so won't be eligible for next year.

With all that in mind I'm looking for a new place. I don't mind a bit of a drive for a playable course over Winter as I know the courses in the Glasgow area suffer in the weather. At the age of 26, I'll still be eligible for some Intermediate subs which seem to offer the best value. I'd even consider a combination of two cheaper courses, one nearby and one a bit further afield.

I know Cawder gets a good name and has a deal on now for £500 with no joining fee. The two courses are attractive as I'd hopefully not struggle for a tee time, I just wonder how it deals with the wet weather.

The Fife courses seem to offer good value and I could join Aberdour for £280 as a country member (>30 miles). I also played in deepest darkest January up at St Michaels, no mats or winter greens and really enjoyed it, again similar to Aberdour but a treck and a half.

Prestwick St Nicholas has been highly recommended to me as well and has good value intermediate subs. I love links courses, but have found it a bit busy on my few rounds on the Ayrshire coast.

Anyway folks, they're just a few examples out of thin air. I'm very open minded but course condition and all year playability are my first priorities. There's so much choice so I would value everyone's recommendations!

Cheers,

Gavin

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dullatur, though it will get quite heavy in winter, as will the 2 Cawder courses, they all use mats in winter.
Glasgow gailes might be an option.:thup:
Welcome to the forum , watch out for some Scottish meets next year.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
No particular knowledge of courses in that area but the one thing I would advise against is joining a course that's miles away. My experience was that the travelling will become a bind. Good luck making your decision.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dullatur, though it will get quite heavy in winter, as will the 2 Cawder courses, they all use mats in winter.

West Kilbride GC do a reduced fees deal up to 29 years of age.

HDID Kenny

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Glenbervie is less than 10 miles away. As well as playing your home golf you Get reciprocal golf at Prestwick StNicholas, Lanark & East Renfrewshire. You can also play Scotscraig for a small fee. Glenbervie is also a James Braid course meaning you get discounted golf at other James Braid courses

https://www.glenberviegolfclub.com/our-club-story/membership/membership-offers

We do have a waiting list at the moment however you would get in before the new season starts. Intermediate Membership up to 29 years old.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site

We only have mats on 1 of the courses at Dullatur, the Antonine is off the fairway all year round, no mats.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have cawder sorted themselves out yet? There was a huge upheaval there last year with over 100 members walking out due to a dodgy membership deal being offered to ex police etc.
To be honest hardly any of the course in your area will offer year round golf without mats or winter greens. Most of them will get very wet.
Glenbervie is a good course, probably the best in the area but it's very pricey in comparison with other courses round about it, as you're under 29 you won't have to pay the joining fee but you will have to pay it when yo turn 29. Was £1000 last I knew. Same again for fees.
Maybe the 2 course option would be better? One closer to home so you aren't driving miles every time you want to play and maybe a winter membership on the coast.
I know a few guys that play at Grangemouth and join niddrie castle in Broxburn for winter golf although not a links it's has full greens nearly all year round. I'd need to ask again but I'm sure they didn't pay much for niddrie castle either.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Falkirk Tryst, sand based so you should get golf all year round golf and they have some good deals on at the moment.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
a friend of mine who's from Glasgow has a load of mates who are all winter members at Crail, they all swear by it and travel across from there each weekend.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you want minimal travel and a course that’s on all year then consider membership at Falkirk Tryst. If you aren’t fussed about travelling then go east coast to the Links as you tend to get drier weather on the east coast than west.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Niddrie castle is offering a 6 month winter deal for £135. Haven't played it myself so not sure what the course is like.
Crail is MILES away, 150 miles round, easy a 3 hour round trip, probably more. Some trek for a game of golf.
Glenbervie is a good course but it still gets very wet in winter.
Tryst is a good option, course is a bit bland though, Falkirk carmuirs have done a huge amount of work on the drainage of the course, still gets wet but is much better than it used to be.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Niddrie castle is offering a 6 month winter deal for £135. Haven't played it myself so not sure what the course is like.
Crail is MILES away, 150 miles round, easy a 3 hour round trip, probably more. Some trek for a game of golf.
Glenbervie is a good course but it still gets very wet in winter.
Tryst is a good option, course is a bit bland though, Falkirk carmuirs have done a huge amount of work on the drainage of the course, still gets wet but is much better than it used to be.

says he's currently going to Fairmont to play so he isn't that worried about travel

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi folks,

Long time lurker just looking for some local knowledge and advice.

I live in Cumbernauld and I'm on the lookout for a new club. I have been playing for around a year and a half and would say I'm absolutely hooked, I'm out any time I get a chance and keep chipping away at my scores. I'm a 23 handicap at the moment. I play right through the winter and it needs to be pretty grim outside to keep me away.

I currently play at the much maligned Westerwood. It's a brilliant layout IMO but suffers badly in any wet weather and I've decided I won't be keeping it on next year with other better options out there. I also hold an 18-25, intermediate membership for the Fairmont in St Andrews which cost me £250 for the year and have found myself driving up there most weekends to play courses in better condition, unfortunately I'm 26 next month so won't be eligible for next year.

With all that in mind I'm looking for a new place. I don't mind a bit of a drive for a playable course over Winter as I know the courses in the Glasgow area suffer in the weather. At the age of 26, I'll still be eligible for some Intermediate subs which seem to offer the best value. I'd even consider a combination of two cheaper courses, one nearby and one a bit further afield.

I know Cawder gets a good name and has a deal on now for £500 with no joining fee. The two courses are attractive as I'd hopefully not struggle for a tee time, I just wonder how it deals with the wet weather.

The Fife courses seem to offer good value and I could join Aberdour for £280 as a country member (>30 miles). I also played in deepest darkest January up at St Michaels, no mats or winter greens and really enjoyed it, again similar to Aberdour but a treck and a half.

Prestwick St Nicholas has been highly recommended to me as well and has good value intermediate subs. I love links courses, but have found it a bit busy on my few rounds on the Ayrshire coast.

Anyway folks, they're just a few examples out of thin air. I'm very open minded but course condition and all year playability are my first priorities. There's so much choice so I would value everyone's recommendations!

Cheers,

Gavin

You're welcome for a game at Dullatur if you want a look around.

AirdrieHacker

Hacker
Visit site
Airdrie GC is fairly close for you, really good course, nearly always full greens as well, reciprocal golf with Hayston, Eastwood and Linlithgow.

Happy to sign you on if you wanted a look.