Crazy green fees?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think providing you're using the same measure for each course then its a pretty fair format for a comparison list
I'm sure there's discounts up to 100% at any one of the courses but that's a lot more difficult to compare one against another
Is it a comparison list or a list to show that top courses are horribly expensive? I tend to think it is the latter. It's true of course, they are horribly expensive but you can play cleverly at times so that they are not as scary as the list suggests.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Is it a comparison list or a list to show that top courses are horribly expensive? I tend to think it is the latter. It's true of course, they are horribly expensive but you can play cleverly at times so that they are not as scary as the list suggests.

Yeah scary expensive, but straight away I found myself comparing some courses even though I doubt i'd visit any on these prices, but if a course is going to publish a fee for a regular round of golf in the summer period its fair enough to say that's what it'd cost for each course, otherwise you have to list all the variables at each course for twilight, off season, with accommodation etc etc and it'd be way too complicated

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah scary expensive, but straight away I found myself comparing some courses even though I doubt i'd visit any on these prices, but if a course is going to publish a fee for a regular round of golf in the summer period its fair enough to say that's what it'd cost for each course, otherwise you have to list all the variables at each course for twilight, off season, with accommodation etc etc and it'd be way too complicated
I agree. I do think there should be a little asterisk at the bottom of the table though advising that cheaper fees at those courses are available. It feels as though it is a chart to beat golf over the head with. 'Look how expensive golf is' etc.

Swango1980

Visit site
Royal County Down is a club I've always wanted to play, quoted by many as the World's best golf course (so it is right up there). I guess it is no surprise that it tops the list then.

I seemed to remember quite a few years ago that Wentworth had the highest green fees in the UK. I suppose that is no longer the case, as I assume Wentworth has become a bit like Augusta National, where visitors are basically not allowed?

Interesting to see Woodhall Spa up there, as I've played there for free many times. Thankfully I'm in the County, and there have been a few events I've played in. Went to the Annual LUGC dinner for 4 or 5 years, which also gave us courtesy of both courses during the day, so we went mega early to play Hotchkin, had lunch and then tried desperately to get 18 at Bracken before it got dark. Mind you, it is a bit cheaper than £225 if you are an England Golf member, it is £150 (Hotchkin) and £85 (Bracken). I actually prefer the Bracken.

Of that list of 100, I've only played 3. Woodhall Spa (Hotchkin), Sherwood Forest and the Belfry (Brabazon)

Visit site
Interesting that West Hill have bucked the trend and reduced prices..unless it's a typo...

So many lovely courses that I'll never play... :(

The guy who posted it on social media said courses like Burnham & Berrow have reduced their weekend green fee but substantially increased the midweek fee, so although it shows a price reduction, it’s not like it’s because they’re being really generous - and presumably most visitors already elect for a weekday!

Although I did notice things like Berkshire being £330 - that’s the 36 hole rate!

Visit site
Royal County Down is a club I've always wanted to play, quoted by many as the World's best golf course (so it is right up there). I guess it is no surprise that it tops the list then.

I seemed to remember quite a few years ago that Wentworth had the highest green fees in the UK. I suppose that is no longer the case, as I assume Wentworth has become a bit like Augusta National, where visitors are basically not allowed?

Interesting to see Woodhall Spa up there, as I've played there for free many times. Thankfully I'm in the County, and there have been a few events I've played in. Went to the Annual LUGC dinner for 4 or 5 years, which also gave us courtesy of both courses during the day, so we went mega early to play Hotchkin, had lunch and then tried desperately to get 18 at Bracken before it got dark. Mind you, it is a bit cheaper than £225 if you are an England Golf member, it is £150 (Hotchkin) and £85 (Bracken). I actually prefer the Bracken.

Of that list of 100, I've only played 3. Woodhall Spa (Hotchkin), Sherwood Forest and the Belfry (Brabazon)

I played RCD for £165 + caddy fee (£100) in late-April 22. This was well below their advertised rate online, but I phoned up and the lady was very accommodating.

It’s worth every penny of that, and if someone phoned me now and said there’s a 9am slot going tomorrow, I’d pay much more than that to take them up on the offer!

Swango1980

Visit site
I played RCD for £165 + caddy fee (£100) in late-April 22. This was well below their advertised rate online, but I phoned up and the lady was very accommodating.

It’s worth every penny of that, and if someone phoned me now and said there’s a 9am slot going tomorrow, I’d pay much more than that to take them up on the offer!
Were there any winter greens? :)

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I assume these figures are the top rate.
At my club, it is cheaper during the week and there are some "twilight" times that offer a reasonable saving.

Swango1980

Visit site
I assume these figures are the top rate.
At my club, it is cheaper during the week and there are some "twilight" times that offer a reasonable saving.
Yeah. The £225 for Woodhall is certainly the top price, peak season, quoted on their website. I guess many of those clubs will have much cheaper ways to play, such as discounted times of the year / week / day, and maybe even playing in Open Comps rather than just a social round.

Mandofred

Visit site
I don't get the fascination with playing "elite" golf courses. Paying £100, £200+ just to play golf. It's just hitting a ball with a stick. But then again, I don't pay for a first class ticket on a plane either....I'm sure it's nice....but it's not THAT nice. But....if that is what makes you happy....blow your money however you wish. There are things I spend money on that others wouldn't.

Swango1980

Visit site
I don't get the fascination with playing "elite" golf courses. Paying £100, £200+ just to play golf. It's just hitting a ball with a stick. But then again, I don't pay for a first class ticket on a plane either....I'm sure it's nice....but it's not THAT nice. But....if that is what makes you happy....blow your money however you wish. There are things I spend money on that others wouldn't.
I guess for some people, they don't see it as a lot of money at all. And therefore, there are enough wealthy golfers around the world that will happily pay these green fees and see it as no price at all. Probably the same people that would pay £5,000 for a wallet or £1,000 for a pair of boxer shorts

D

Deleted member 15344

Played a good number of the top 100 but I don’t I have ever paid the price

Societies
Playing with members
Forum meets
H4H
Opens
Twilights

Have all allowed me to play the top courses

And yes they are worth the money as they are a step up in class and you can feel it when you play

Was a great feeling getting up and down from the same bunker that lost Bjorn the Open as an example