Crazy green fees?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
everything has risen in price the last few years, greens fees have gone pretty crazy, my club when i joined in 2009 it was £60 for a visitor now its £200. i think Dornoch is well over £220 and the place is rammed every day.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Re aforementioned STB meeting 20+ years ago.

The main purpose was to spread golf tourism around Scotland.
I think that the increase in fees has helped to do that.
For example 20+ years ago Dornoch barely got a look in with overseas visitors, even though we all knew it was a great course.
Now it is right up there in the top flight.
New courses like Loch Lomond, Kingsbarns etc were starting to get a lot of attention.
Established courses like Dunbar, Machrihanish [sp], Cruden Bay, Royal Aberdeen, and North Berwick started to become much busier.
Golfers started looking around for the 'hidden gems of Scottish Golf'.
All in all I think it has worked very well.

Klimski

Visit site
St Andrews residents paying less for a years golf on 7 courses than a tourist pays for one round on TOC
That raises the nuts bar.
I think that is amazing - and very positive in fact. Although the difference is pretty stark. But it means that local folk can play their local courses, instead of being priced out by wealthy visitors!

D-S

Visit site
I think that is amazing - and very positive in fact. Although the difference is pretty stark. But it means that local folk can play their local courses, instead of being priced out by wealthy visitors!
I'm sure Sunningdale residents would appreciate the same!

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I guess the price is all demand based but I’d expect the course and facilities to be in perfect condition for the top prices.

I’d normally play the lower end but would consider the opportunity to play the top course depending on when and who is playing with me.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have a couple of trips this year around the county which I like to included some golf with. The prices some courses charge are ludicrous. It's grass not gold leaf we are playing on. Those that charge stupid prices I hope they shut. Yeah I know they won't. It's now eliteest can't spell or see, and that's why not enough people play. So rely on Chinese and Americans and Sid the English. Eh?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
We have a couple of trips this year around the county which I like to included some golf with. The prices some courses charge are ludicrous. It's grass not gold leaf we are playing on. Those that charge stupid prices I hope they shut. Yeah I know they won't. It's now eliteest can't spell or see, and that's why not enough people play. So rely on Chinese and Americans and Sid the English. Eh?

Good night out? 😉

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
And it's a weekend of live music and booze. No one knows if the pub will carry on in it current format. So it's a weekend of goodbyes starting tonight

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Those numbers do not show a full picture to be fair. If you look at the Gleneagles figure, £285 per course, that is only applicable for 3 months of the year. You can pay £80-100 for 5 months of the year. Close House is £200, or £100 for 5 months of the year, both reduced if you are staying there.

I guess it does show the high cost of those courses but they are a worst case scenario and you can do them for cheaper.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Those numbers do not show a full picture to be fair. If you look at the Gleneagles figure, £285 per course, that is only applicable for 3 months of the year. You can pay £80-100 for 5 months of the year. Close House is £200, or £100 for 5 months of the year, both reduced if you are staying there.

I guess it does show the high cost of those courses but they are a worst case scenario and you can do them for cheaper.

I think providing you're using the same measure for each course then its a pretty fair format for a comparison list
I'm sure there's discounts up to 100% at any one of the courses but that's a lot more difficult to compare one against another