Crazy green fees?

AussieKB

Visit site
I’m playing Moortown in the Yorkshire Union Members Meeting on Thursday. £40 per pair . Visitors green fee on Friday £150 each.

( it cost me £40 for life to join YUGC members meets)
Played there on Monday, after England versus France game, course and greens are in great condition.

Hacked

Visit site
I baulk at the cost of most courses. I just cannot justify to myself or my game most green fees mentioned here. I play a local 9 hole costing me £7 a round. Open when many other clubs were closed or soggy through the winter. I would love the idea of playing some of the prestigious courses (Ganton is the most local renowned one to me) but it’s just not worth my while even if they’d let me on.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just had a look around Southport/Formby.

Hillside £250/280, Formby £250/280,Royal Birkdale nothing available. West Lancs £195.

The opens @Hiilside are £160 per person to include Breakfast and a meal, plus goody bag. No realistic Opens @Formby. West Lancs £80 this year rising to £95 next year, around 19% increase.

Most are full but I have to ask how long before some clubs price themselves out of the market. Class courses btw

sunshine

Visit site
Checking courses on Golf Now and Dundonald Links came up as a featured course at £225. I don't doubt it's a nice course but that's almost Open venue prices.

Because it’s almost an Open venue. It’s hosted the Scottish Open and personally I would rate the course above Hoylake.

Open venues can charge more due to the history and prestige of the event, and they do… £300 these days 😢

AussieKB

Visit site
Home after my trip to England where I played 12 games, and without contacts the cost of green fees would have been 1400 pounds, I was lucky enough to only pay about 200 pounds, some of the course I played were top class.

Burnham & Berrow, Hollinwell, Alwoodley, Moortown, Hankley Common, Saunton Sands to name a few.

The old adage of "It's not what you know. It's who you know" has never been truer for me.