Searching for the right club Maidstone..

Stirling

Visit site
I’m 53 live in Maidstone, I’ve been playing golf for about a year and a half. Been playing mainly with neighbours older than me at local courses Leeds castle, Ridge, Cobtree, Weald and Tudor !
I play at least once a week but am limited with a lack of playing partners. I really enjoying playing and am looking to keep improving ( currently on 19 ) keen to meet and play with different people and better players, actually lean the rules lol and play in some competitions!!

Looking for recommendations on golf clubs in the area that I can gain membership and achieve the above.

Thanks in Advance

Last edited:

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
King's Hill, Bearsted and Pedham Place (driest course in that area by a country mile, but may be closing in 2-3 years!) would all be worth a look.
Less attractive but a strong golfing community is West Malling. Very much a marmite course and not one I enjoy, but most members always seem happy with it.

gopher99

Visit site
I live in Kings Hill, you have quite a few courses round the area. You have Pedham place, Kings Hill, Leeds Castle, Birchwood Park, Chelsfield Lakes, West Malling and Tudor Park, Bearsted, Darenth Valley and Lullingstone.

Bratty

Visit site
Not saying gooher99 is wrong at all, but words of caution:
Birchwood Park is rammed at weekends and I've heard of 6 hour rounds up there as recently as last year. Nice course, but I couldn't play there week in week out.
Chelsfield Lakes is a good course to cut your teeth on (it's where I started my golfing journey) but again, it's really busy at weekends with pay and play as well as members, which leads to long rounds.

Stirling

Visit site
King's Hill, Bearsted and Pedham Place (driest course in that area by a country mile, but may be closing in 2-3 years!) would all be worth a look.
Less attractive but a strong golfing community is West Malling. Very much a marmite course and not one I enjoy, but most members always seem happy with it.
Hi Bratty you say they might be closing in a few years is there a reason why !
Are you a member anywhere ?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
West Malling a has lost a few holes or will be shortly to developers. I believe it’s going down to 18 only so I’d expect that to become very busy.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For me it would be King's Hill, Wrotham Heath and then Bearsted as a top 3.

King's Hill is the most expensive, but it offers all year golf and is imo the better course of the lot.

Funny really, but think you are blessed with lots of choice but not really any standout courses. All a bit meh if I'm honest.

gopher99

Visit site
Not saying gooher99 is wrong at all, but words of caution:
Birchwood Park is rammed at weekends and I've heard of 6 hour rounds up there as recently as last year. Nice course, but I couldn't play there week in week out.
Chelsfield Lakes is a good course to cut your teeth on (it's where I started my golfing journey) but again, it's really busy at weekends with pay and play as well as members, which leads to long rounds.
I should have put a disclaimer on the comment, not saying they are great just naming the clubs.🤣🤣

gopher99

Visit site

King's Hill is the most expensive, but it offers all year golf and is imo the better course of the lot.

Funny really, but think you are blessed with lots of choice but not really any standout courses. All a bit meh if I'm honest.
Good shout about Wrotham Heath, I have a few friends who are members there.

gopher99

Visit site
There is talk about the owner selling land to housing developer, I am not sure whether the planning permission has been approved for Pedham Place or is going through. West Malling is also selling land, not sure whether the course is going to be 27 holes or a combo 18 holes as Oddsocks has said. I am a member at Pedham if you ever wanted a game midweek there.

Bratty

Visit site
Gopher99 has answered your first question and to your second, I'm a member of Westerham golf club, but figured that was too far from you (40+ minutes?) so didn't mention it.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I second that view!

Although I haven't been there for a long time Rochester & Cobham was very good, and Chart Hills has had millions spent on it but is expensive