Course suggestions - Scotland, winter, near mountains

Ando

Visit site
I'm hoping the collective wisdom of the forum can point me in the right direction.

Looking for a cheapish midweek getaway in mid December. As well as playing golf, I love getting out in the mountains (Munros if possible).

So, I'd love to hear your suggestions for courses near the mountains within a couple of hours of Edinburgh. Ideally, looking for somewhere that holds up well in the winter and falls in the good value category (max limit likely to be ~£75, prefer it to be less than that though 😆).

I'm aware that December isn't ideal for golf or mountain walking (and neither could be possible given the weather). Given my Mrs is pregnant, it's likely to be either a walk or a round and a solo one at that. Preferably, looking to avoid Aviemore and Newtonmore as we've stayed in both of those a few times already.

Thanks on advance for any recommendations!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I live in Scotland but I am not sure how to meet all you demands.

Blairgowrie maybe. No sure what it is like in December.

Ando

Visit site
I live in Scotland but I am not sure how to meet all you demands.

Blairgowrie maybe. No sure what it is like in December.
Thanks Ken. The courses at Blairgowrie have always looked beautiful when I've been going past.

Hacky

Visit site
Taynuilt and Dalmally, two lovely nine hole courses with incredible mountain backdrops. Slightly more than 2 hours from Edinburgh; Dalmally being about 2hours 15. 30 mins from Glencoe for hiking but lots even closer. Absolutely no idea what they’re like in winter though

Ando

Visit site
Taynuilt and Dalmally, two lovely nine hole courses with incredible mountain backdrops. Slightly more than 2 hours from Edinburgh; Dalmally being about 2hours 15. 30 mins from Glencoe for hiking but lots even closer. Absolutely no idea what they’re like in winter though
Nice, will look into those. Thanks.

bungle_1981

Visit site
Arran.
Play Shiskine and climb Goatfell.
It's December though, so you better be prepared for the climb.

Admittedly, that's somewhat more than 2hrs from Edinburgh. Bu

Near Edinburgh, you could play some of the links courses in East Lothian, and do some walking in the Lammermuir Hills.

Last edited:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think the most reliable courses in midwinter are basically links courses.
Have you thought about some of the Angus courses which are not to far from the Angus glens.
Crieff isn't to far from Ben Chonzie.

Ando

Visit site
I think the most reliable courses in midwinter are basically links courses.
Have you thought about some of the Angus courses which are not to far from the Angus glens.
Crieff isn't to far from Ben Chonzie.
Thanks! Will research the courses along that bit of coast a bit more. Only really been in that area before to go up Driesh & Mayar, Mount Keen etc before I got back into golf.

Albo

Visit site
Play Swanston! Literally in Edinburgh and you get to walk up a mountain while playing golf, 2 birds etc

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
personally id stick to the coast and a links course in winter, winter in Scotland at any sort of course close to decent climbing locations could well be under snow!!