Course recommendations - en route to Gatwick Airport.

simo71

Visit site
Morning all,

We are travelling to Gatwick airport next month.

We are looking for somewhere for a 3 ball to play on a Friday morning (15th Sept). Needs to be within 45-60 mins of Gatwick, preferably from our direction of travel. We will be staying in Beaconsfield the night before, so anywhere between there and Gatwick would be ideal.

Will need to be an early tee time (pre 9am) so we can get to the airport on time.

Looking in the £40-60ish region if possible. 9/18 holes both fine.

Any help much appreciated.

thanks

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Morning all,

We are travelling to Gatwick airport next month.

We are looking for somewhere for a 3 ball to play on a Friday morning (15th Sept). Needs to be within 45-60 mins of Gatwick, preferably from our direction of travel. We will be staying in Beaconsfield the night before, so anywhere between there and Gatwick would be ideal.

Will need to be an early tee time (pre 9am) so we can get to the airport on time.

Looking in the £40-60ish region if possible. 9/18 holes both fine.

Any help much appreciated.

thanks
At the risk of being a killjoy, the M25 has been really slow at junctions 16 (M40) and at a crawl at junctions 12 and 10. Even the Gatwick Junction can get a bit sticky itself.
You are best to leave Beaconsfield really early and find a course near Gatwick. What time is your flight?
Courses in that area:
Copthorne
Woldingham - okay course, pretty easy but always in pretty good condition.
Bletchingley - used to be nice, but haven't played it in a few years.
Ifield
Tilgate Forest
9 holers:
Horne Park
Limpsfield Chart (two separate tees for 18) - really fun and quirky layout.
Godstone - nice course, but I've not played it in a few years.

Last edited:

simo71

Visit site
At the risk of being a killjoy, the M25 has been really slow at junctions 16 (M40) and at a crawl at junctions 12 and 10. Even the Gatwick Junction can get a bit sticky itself.
You are best to leave Beaconsfield really early and find a course near Gatwick. What time is your flight?
Courses in that area:
Copthorne
Woldingham - okay course, pretty easy but always in pretty good condition.
Bletchingley - used to be nice, but haven't played it in a few years.
Ifield
Tilgate Forest
9 holers:
Horne Park
Limpsfield Chart (two separate tees for 18) - really fun and quirky layout.
Godstone - nice course, but I've not played it in a few years.

thanks - this is really good info. We fly at 4pm, but I do like the idea of getting closer to the airport and avoiding any unnecessary stress. Will check them courses out!

Bratty

Visit site
I came back from Aylesbury on Saturday at 10.30, and a 1hr 10 minute journey took 1hr 50. It has been known to be worse!

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As said above, play very near Gatwick and then you don’t have to worry about traffic. That stretch of M25 from M40 to M23 can be miserable, with M4, M3 and A3 all joining in between.

Lingfield is a good shout, as is Copthorne. I used to enjoy playing at Bletchingley, haven’t played for years now, doubt it’s changed that much though.

Looking at a map though, I’d go for ifield. It’s very close to the airport and back roads all the way to the airport long stay parking (if that’s what you’re using).

I used to enjoy playing rusper, which was near there, sadly it closed a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

simo71

Visit site
thanks all. Will look into these recommendations.

We're heading to Lofoten Links, so just looking for a quick round before we head on the long journey!

Bratty

Visit site
thanks all. Will look into these recommendations.

We're heading to Lofoten Links, so just looking for a quick round before we head on the long journey!
So jealous!
In which case, it doesn't matter where you play, because any course will be beaten by Lofoten Links! 🤣

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not played there for many years but I remember enjoying

Cottesmore Hotel, Golf & Country Club​

Not sure if they do golf only these days. They have both a 9 and an 18 hole course.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cottesmore is a nice course, tricky and fast greens!

Copthorne is good too, playing there tomorrow on a reciprocal as course maintenance at Pyecombe.
It's the nearest to Gatwick too. 👍