Golf in Spain/Portugal

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Looking to go to Portugal, probably, this autumn. First time golfing abroad and looking at a ~3 nighter, Pestana Villa Sol in Villamoura is looking like decent value for a good blend of courses, additional hotel facilities (i.e pool) and not too far from other restaurants/bars. A few questions though from anyone who has experience:
- Weighing up between Sept and Nov (Oct isn’t possible). What’s the weather like in Nov? Still shorts and top? Sept appears to be ideal but wondering if Nov is still warm, playable, and if there’s a bargain to be had
- Re Nov, are things likely to be closed for the season and/or maintenance ongoing? Wouldnt want to fork out and then be on a bunch of temp greens, reseeding, etc
- Has anyone specifically stayed at this complex/played these courses? Not adverse to other recommendations across Europe if markedly better value and these ones are actually a pile of poo

Any help much appreciated!

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Following this as we are planning to do the same but have been told Costa del Sol would be better in November.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Over the past 30 years, we have played golf in Spain, Portugal, Tenerife, Florida and Turkey and I would say that Turkey stands out head and shoulders above the others although it might be a bit far for a three night stay. Personally, I would recommend the Algarve over the likes of Spain.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Spain in November is generally good - and the weather does tend to be drier in the cooler months on the autumnal side of Christmas, as a rough guide, I'd say whatever the temperature is here, it'll be 10 degrees warmer in Portugal/Spain, so expect it to be in the low 20's. Very pleasant for golfing. It will be cooler on a night and remember the clocks will have altered so bear that in mind when you're booking tee times.
Courses will be quieter, but should be in good order - most courses will actually put on reduced green fees if it's greens maintenance time and this will be on their websites.
If you do want to make use of the pool at your hotel though, don't go in November - it'll be bloody freezing ;-)

sunshine

Visit site
Spain in November is generally good - and the weather does tend to be drier in the cooler months on the autumnal side of Christmas, as a rough guide, I'd say whatever the temperature is here, it'll be 10 degrees warmer in Portugal/Spain, so expect it to be in the low 20's. Very pleasant for golfing. It will be cooler on a night and remember the clocks will have altered so bear that in mind when you're booking tee times.
Courses will be quieter, but should be in good order - most courses will actually put on reduced green fees if it's greens maintenance time and this will be on their websites.
If you do want to make use of the pool at your hotel though, don't go in November - it'll be bloody freezing ;-)
Really depends what part of Spain.

sunshine

Visit site
We once went to Vilamoura in early November. Place was dead, only people there were middle aged men on golf trips.
Portugal is same time zone as UK, so it was getting dark at 4pm. Courses were rammed because of the short daylight window and we had to tee off early to avoid the crowds. It was miserable getting up in the dark when on holiday.
Compared to Spain, Portugal is much more affected by the Atlantic so gets a good deal more rain. South and east coast of Spain is typically significantly drier and sunnier.
On the flip side, the courses were in good condition and the temperatures were around 15-20 degrees.

peld

Visit site
I went to Algarve at the end of last November for a 3 night stay and was shorts/t-short every day - at worst a lightweight quarterzip for the first few holes early morning.

We did the special all-in deal at Vale de Lobo which is unlimited golf and includes buggies and club hire if you wanted.
Two fantastic courses, 15 mins/€10 in an Uber to the Marina, 20 mins from airport.
We are going again this year (waiting for flights to be released)

Brucelily

Visit site
I have been going to Vale Do Lobo for over 20 years and Algarve is golf all year round. Sept and Oct will be fine and >20 degs. It is cheaper to book an all in hol then separately. Vale Do Lobo is overated except for one hole 16th Ocean along the beach and there are better value elsewhere. Loads of course at Vilamoura and plenty of nighlife bars locally. VDL is quiet except for one bar or nearby Qunita Do Lago which has 5 courses within 15 mins - Qunita North, South, Laranjal, Pinos Altos, San Lorenzo etc. I think Spain is a little lower cost for the golf,

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Vale do Lobo are my least favourite courses in the Almancil area, but both are still better than San Lorenzo, which was in pretty poor condition when I played it just before COVID.
Agree the Quinta courses are superior to VdL.

peld

Visit site
I have been going to Vale Do Lobo for over 20 years and Algarve is golf all year round. Sept and Oct will be fine and >20 degs. It is cheaper to book an all in hol then separately. Vale Do Lobo is overated except for one hole 16th Ocean along the beach and there are better value elsewhere. Loads of course at Vilamoura and plenty of nighlife bars locally. VDL is quiet except for one bar or nearby Qunita Do Lago which has 5 courses within 15 mins - Qunita North, South, Laranjal, Pinos Altos, San Lorenzo etc. I think Spain is a little lower cost for the golf,
Question for you then...

The beauty of the all-in deal is we were onsite and could golf all day - 18 in morning, late lunch, then get another 9 before heading back, and because its all on your doorstep, its only a few mins shuttle from apartment to clubhouse (all for about €550 for 3 nights in a deluxe apmt, golf, buggies)

genuine question - does anywhere else nearby do any sort of a deal like that and can offer all day golf like that ?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
We once went to Vilamoura in early November. Place was dead, only people there were middle aged men on golf trips.
Portugal is same time zone as UK, so it was getting dark at 4pm. Courses were rammed because of the short daylight window and we had to tee off early to avoid the crowds. It was miserable getting up in the dark when on holiday.
Compared to Spain, Portugal is much more affected by the Atlantic so gets a good deal more rain. South and east coast of Spain is typically significantly drier and sunnier.
On the flip side, the courses were in good condition and the temperatures were around 15-20 degrees.

That’s not the Algarve I recall from late November last year!

We were about an hour west of Vilamoura, near to Salgados, and the one day we ventured across to Vilamoura to play Victoria we had a twilight tee time (1pm) and, whilst it was getting gloomy by the time we finished, it was still light enough to play. That would have been nearer 5pm. I do accept, thought, that on cloudier days you’d perhaps lose the daylight earlier.

Temperature wise we were still playing in shorts and t-shirts, but the evenings were certainly a bit cool. I agree the resorts are pretty dead in the evening - Vilamoura was a ghost town the one evening we went there, but if you can find the backstreet restaurants where locals eat there’s a bit more atmosphere.

All in all, not a bad time of year to go. We found the courses over near Salgados reasonably quiet and in great condition.

Going back in November this year.