Pestana Vila Sol - Portugal- buggies

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi,

We’re planning our next golf holiday for next year, and have pretty much settled on Pestana Vila Sol. Course looks half decent, good location, decent value.

Snag we’ve hit us that golfbreaks are telling us that they can’t include buggies in the price as they can’t be pre-booked, you just sort them out on the day, if there are any left. This will cause an issue for us as we’ve got some older lads who couldn’t walk a golf course 3 days in a row, plus, who wants to walk on a golf holiday in the heat!

Has anyone played the course before and come across this issue? Is there any way around it?

HobyKenobi

Visit site
Played at the start of May, 2pm Sunday tee time and they had no buggies left for us, had to hire trollies and walk, didn't mind as was only about 20 degrees and we were fit enough to walk, thankfully!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Find out how big their fleet is then it'll be easier to book tee times around that number AM or PM ( i.e a buggy booked by someone teeing off at 8.30 should be available to hire out again at 2pm, allowing for a 5hr round)

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played at the start of May, 2pm Sunday tee time and they had no buggies left for us, had to hire trollies and walk, didn't mind as was only about 20 degrees and we were fit enough to walk, thankfully!
Oh god, doesn’t sound promising!

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Book eariy tee times?
Find out how big their fleet is then it'll be easier to book tee times around that number AM or PM ( i.e a buggy booked by someone teeing off at 8.30 should be available to hire out again at 2pm, allowing for a 5hr round)
Had thought of that but the problem is there will be 12-16 of us, and don’t really want the stress of not knowing whether we’ve got buggies until just before we tee off, as they wouldn’t be guaranteed.
I'd ring/email the course myself and sort it in advance of booking.
We’re doing that, but posted on here in the hope that someone has actually been there and knows how to sort it.

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Not quite answering your question but I played there in November 3 days running and carried in 20-25 degrees. It was fine, course is relatively easy to walk. So if you, for example, manage to secure buggies for 2 of the days I wouldnt worry about having to walk on the third day

gazza271

Hacker
Visit site
I got back from Tenerife last night, we had one course where they didn't include buggies in our booking but were happy to reserve them for us and we paid on the day. Would expect that to be pretty similar procedure most places to be honest ? Ours was booked through golfbreaks as well.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
No problem. Out of interested, who have you booked through, and did they also tell you that buggies can’t be booked?
Golfbreaks. Yep that's exactly what they said. I think we'd be ok because our 3 tee times are all at 8 or before. We're all walkers so not that fussed, but if you need one and tee off later I think you need to go direct to the course.

Platypus

Visit site
We've just returned from a four round, long weekend in Alvor.
All four courses were Pestana owned (Alto, Gremacho, Silves & Pinta) and none of them allowed pre-booking of buggies.
Our group size was 16, so 8 buggies required.
Whilst we did manage to get enough buggies each day it was a bit iffy, especially for the round we had booked after midday...
At that course we were stood on the first tee with only five buggies, hoping for more to come in as the first of our groups teed off.

Really can't understand their logic.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We've just returned from a four round, long weekend in Alvor.
All four courses were Pestana owned (Alto, Gremacho, Silves & Pinta) and none of them allowed pre-booking of buggies.
Our group size was 16, so 8 buggies required.
Whilst we did manage to get enough buggies each day it was a bit iffy, especially for the round we had booked after midday...
At that course we were stood on the first tee with only five buggies, hoping for more to come in as the first of our groups teed off.

Really can't understand their logic.
Interesting, thanks for the reply. What times did you tee off? What would you say are the best tee times to increase the chances of getting buggies? Bearing in mind there’s no chance we’ll be in any sort of state to tee off early!

It is crazy logic. Pretty much golf paradise around there, you’d think they’d want sufficient buggies for everyone who wanted one, make the most of it. Very unlikely I’d use a buggy in the uk, but abroad it’s all part of it.

Platypus

Visit site
Vale da Pinta 11:27
Silves 11:33
Gramacho 12:36
Alto 09:45

I'm guessing a little, but to give the best chance of getting a buggy I'd say you need a Tee time before 11am
Like you say, most groups of us holiday golfers can't recover from the night before for an earlier start :ROFLMAO: