Woe is me (or, why is this game so goddam hard?)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve told my pro I’m not going to any more lessons.

He’s more likely to be able to identify what’s going on, and I don’t even want to do it for him, much less for the forum.

Anyway, it really doesn’t matter.

Why?

Because I have given up playing golf.
Fair enough. Just be safe in the knowledge that you didn't really try it properly in the first place. You played driving range, not golf. ;)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve told my pro I’m not going to any more lessons.

He’s more likely to be able to identify what’s going on, and I don’t even want to do it for him, much less for the forum.

Anyway, it really doesn’t matter.

Why?

Because I have given up playing golf.

Can we change your name to just monkey now. The range is a distant memory.

Anyway, plenty of other things to do. I'm going to do lawn Bowles when my back gives in. How hard can that be?

All the best :) just know, I am intrigued how someone can repeatedly miss the ball. Only thing I can think of is you stand so far up out of posture.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Can someone show me where I said I expected to “master golf within a few months”?

All I’m expecting is to be able to hit the effin ball.

Is that all it takes? When I can hit the ball is that it? Have I mastered it?

I didn’t think so, but it seems everyone else thinks so. Or at least thinks I’m so effin stupid that I think so.

I just.
Want.
To be able.
To hit.
The ball.
After nearly.
Six.
Months.
Trying.

And apparently, that is expecting too much!!!
And in case you misunderstood me - I said that you clearly accept that you cannot master the game - not that you want to master it. And yes that is where we must all start, as with experience we come learn that that is true. As soon as I might think I have mastered the game, then I am on the edge of the fall. :)

Its not expecting too much, it's just how it is - there is nothing wrong or to be ashamed of when you miss the ball. But be assured and reassured that you will stop missing the ball - but that happens in time...first you have to start enjoying just getting out on a golf course and playing the game - and stop screwing your mind up with your expectation of what you should be capable of.

Golf is a capricious mistress, but she is there to be enjoyed without much effort if you are open to what she offers rather than what you do.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1147

Can we change your name to just monkey now. The range is a distant memory.

Anyway, plenty of other things to do. I'm going to do lawn Bowles when my back gives in. How hard can that be?

All the best :) just know, I am intrigued how someone can repeatedly miss the ball. Only thing I can think of is you stand so far up out of posture.

With a bad back - quite difficult I'd have thought. When mine goes I wouldn't fancy trying the bowling action (not that golf is any good for the back :eek::cry:

AdamW

Visit site
I M t
Oh I’ve made the decision - I’m selling up and quitting.

Im just responding on here because people are asking questions.

Don't do it!

I am currently also incredibly bad but have been building confidence and accuracy very very slowly up on small par 3 courses where everyone seems to be in the same boat.

If you quit now in two years time i guarantee you will wonder what could have been.

Maybe concentrate on other areas of the game for a few weeks?

1. Get confident with your puts
  2. Work on your chips
  3. Work on your pitching

Can you do a half swing and make contact with the ball?

Have you tried focusing on the irons which are easier to hit i.e SW, PW etc?

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know you've given up, I read that.

However, if you haven't burnt your bag and everything else yet, and if you ever decide to try again, I suggest you just go to the range and just hit balls. By that I mean forget all the technical stuff, gadgets, mirrors, checklists, thoughts and just freely hit balls. If you have a willing accomplice, have them roll the balls and you just have to step and hit them. You said you were good (whatever that means) at among other things, tennis, badminton and squash. If that's true then you have hand-eye coordination and shouldn't be unable to hit a ball at rest with a golf club. All those other sports have the "advantage" of the ball coming at you, so no time to overthink, you just have to go into reflex mode to hit it, otherwise it's too late, make golf the same.

Other than that, you know what you enjoy and don't enjoy, so do what makes you happy.

D

Deleted member 21258

Golf is hard, real hard game.

Two more examples :-

My mum has been playing 2ish years and probably plays on average 1-2 times a week and she can still miss the ball several times during a round. Can shoot a good 3 dart score on her bad days:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: but she enjoys the exercise.

My wife is probably the least sporty person I have ever known, but she is a trier and just in case she reads this the bestest lady in the world, but sport is not her game. My wife has been playing 4ish years and probably averages 2 times a week and will top/thin about 50-70% of her full swing shots, as a result some barely go anywhere and some roll forever. Yesterday she had one swing that she barely hit the ball, and it just about moved forward. Not that I and her laughed much :giggle: Yeah her good days, its great to watch.

People who play without a clear mind, beat themselves up, nerves, pure focus on improvement/scoring are destine to failure with playing golf....so probably agree with you, best to play something that you are good at and enjoy, life really is too short to waste it on something you are not enjoying. All the best.

Heard it said by so many people over the years, of people trying golf and giving up, as golf is hard, a real hard game.:cry::cry:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
With a bad back - quite difficult I'd have thought. When mine goes I wouldn't fancy trying the bowling action (not that golf is any good for the back :eek::cry:

I can get into a bent over crippled position quite easily. Its the old twisting that does me in. Lol

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As mentioned elsewhere I have been having dreadful problems with my game - until fairly recently for a few months I was regularly knocking it round in high 90s - even low 100s - and off a handicap of 8 that is incredibly depressing - and I have considered chucking it.

But I know I can play - and so at the moment all I am doing is trying to get a bit of confidence back just hitting the ball - and if that is at best straightish then that is fine - it doesn't even have to look vaguely pretty as long as it is not rocketing off at right angles.

And that has required me to start with little quarter swings, then half swings - and I'm still not more than 3/4 swings. And no swing thoughts whatsoever. Simply getting a bit of confidence back that I actually can hit a golf ball - straightish - when for a while I was thinking that - after 45yrs of playing the bleedin' game and getting down to 6 h/cap - I'd completely forgotten how to do that. And it is coming back. Slowly.

But there is only so much that can be said explaining how difficult and mental the game is...but that it comes. Meanwhile enjoy the rest the game offers,

RangeMonkey

Visit site
As mentioned elsewhere I have been having dreadful problems with my game - until fairly recently for a few months I was regularly knocking it round in high 90s - even low 100s - and off a handicap of 8 that is incredibly depressing - and I have considered chucking it.

But I know I can play - and so at the moment all I am doing is trying to get a bit of confidence back just hitting the ball - and if that is at best straightish then that is fine - it doesn't even have to look vaguely pretty as long as it is not rocketing off at right angles.

And that has required me to start with little quarter swings, then half swings - and I'm still not more than 3/4 swings. And no swing thoughts whatsoever. Simply getting a bit of confidence back that I actually can hit a golf ball - straightish - when for a while I was thinking that - after 45yrs of playing the bleedin' game and getting down to 6 h/cap - I'd completely forgotten how to do that. And it is coming back. Slowly.

But there is only so much that can be said explaining how difficult and mental the game is...but that it comes. Meanwhile enjoy the rest the game offers,

That’s just really depressing, and makes me realise giving up now, before investing more time and effort, is absolutely the right thing to do.

Wolf

Visit site
Nonsense.
You'll get used to Stefanovic he talks a lot of nonsense on a lot of subjects ?

Re: your issues end of the day if you want to call it quits then thats upto nobody can decide but you. However id say before jacking it all in take a month or 2 away from hitting balls, don't even play, simply wait for the warmer weather around April/May then take yourself off to a simple little par 3 course in shirt sleeves, and play it on your own not thinking about technique merely reacting to the target you see and ball in the floor. Then see how you feel. This game takes on a whole new meaning when the sun's out and your merely enjoying being out in the open air relaxed and not worrying about hitting that little white thing in the ground.

The range on a cold winters day can make it harder with more layers on trying to keep warm.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
You'll get used to Stefanovic he talks a lot of nonsense on a lot of subjects ?
I talk a lot of real science.
This game takes on a whole new meaning when the sun's out...
I played yesterday and trying to play shots toward the sun low in the sky gave the meaning 'where did my ball go???'
I'd prefer to play on an overcast day.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can someone show me where I said I expected to “master golf within a few months”?

All I’m expecting is to be able to hit the effin ball.

Is that all it takes? When I can hit the ball is that it? Have I mastered it?

I didn’t think so, but it seems everyone else thinks so. Or at least thinks I’m so effin stupid that I think so.

I just.
Want.
To be able.
To hit.
The ball.
After nearly.
Six.
Months.
Trying.

And apparently, that is expecting too much!!!

Sounds like weight shift problem.

That’s just really depressing, and makes me realise giving up now, before investing more time and effort, is absolutely the right thing to do.

Look. It’s clear your pissed off But are still hanging around. So you clearly don’t really want to quit. Just take The rest of January off everything and come back in February. Sometimes a break is all you need.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Now if I read your post correctly, you apparently say that you hit the ball well just as you took the game up and could apparently hit it much better prior to having an overload of golf lessons. You've also previously stated that chipping/pitching is easy. Now I dont know who the pro is youve been going to see but if I was a coach and under my tuition someone had gone from being able to hit straightish shots to actually barely making contact and at times missing the ball I would realise whatever I was advising them to do wasnt working.

It's one of two things, either you haven't been following or implementing things properly with enough time in between lessons to learn the thing from the previous lesson. Again I could argue the coach could advise you that your still not ready to move on to the next thing yet so we will continue with whatever. Or the coach you have selected isnt really upto teaching a full out beginner.

If I were you I'd perhaps take a step back and start again. let's remove all expectations, good or bad. Perhaps even video yourself, what do you see. can you see very obvious faults ? YouTube is a wonderful place for basic general information. I'd also maybe just hit balls without a full on coach but I would encourage you to seek out group classes at a range for beginners. This will serve two purposes, first off you will meet other people in your boat which can sometimes help and also its relatively inexpensive.

I wouldn't give up, I think you have just went about it in an unusual way. yes the range is different from a course but if you make ok contact on a range you can make ok contact on a course.