Woe is me (or, why is this game so goddam hard?)

RangeMonkey

Visit site
Sounds like weight shift problem.

Look. It’s clear your pissed off But are still hanging around. So you clearly don’t really want to quit. Just take The rest of January off everything and come back in February. Sometimes a break is all you need.

You’re right of course. I don’t want to quit. But at the moment the payoff isn’t there in terms of enjoyment.

Maybe I should do as you say (and a couple of others have said), and take a longer break.

I’m also going to get my eyes tested, because it’s just occurred to me that the last few days I’ve been knocking things over when reaching for them (glasses etc), or just reaching out for doors handles and missing them ... :(

Robin Hood

Visit site
You’re right of course. I don’t want to quit. But at the moment the payoff isn’t there in terms of enjoyment.

Maybe I should do as you say (and a couple of others have said), and take a longer break.

I’m also going to get my eyes tested, because it’s just occurred to me that the last few days I’ve been knocking things over when reaching for them (glasses etc), or just reaching out for doors handles and missing them ... :(
If you get new glasses, don't get varifocals for golf. Distance vision only.
If you are just long sighted, don't put glasses on to play, only to mark your card.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That’s just really depressing, and makes me realise giving up now, before investing more time and effort, is absolutely the right thing to do.

I'm just saying - you need to understand that even when you get to a decent level it can fall apart - it happens to the pros after all. But you can usually get back on track and playing as you were with a bit of effort and teh knwoeldge that you can do it. And it is worth it. It's what makes the game the challenge and pleasure it is.

But if you are looking for a sport that you can work on to get to a level of ability, and once there you can then basically play at that level for as long as your body allows - then bluntly golf actually isn't a sport for you. I can play golf as a 6 h/capper - but go through periods when I'm playing as a 16 or even occasionally a 26 h/capper. But I know these periods are only for days, or weeks, but they are not forever - and I know that I have the ability of a 6 h/capper and will be able to get back there with a bit of application and sticking to it.

sunshine

Visit site

What an entertaining thread! A roller coaster of emotions. The early highs of blowing up the first death star are long behind us. Looks like we have got to the point where Han is frozen in carbonite and Darth Vader is about to destroy Luke. Is this the end of the story? Does the Empire win? Or will you rise from the ashes and become a golfer?

The one thing that has struck me throughout all your comments is that you have only ever tried to play golf twice. You have spent loads of time and money at a range and got lost in a whirl of technical thoughts about your swing. All your focus is on hitting the ball, hitting loads of balls into a field.

The objective of golf is to get the ball in the hole in the fewest amount of shots. Cliché alert: there are no pictures on the scorecard.

I'd suggest going to crazy golf and having some fun trying to get the ball in the hole. Then try pitch and putt in the spring: focus on scoring and the fun of trying to get the ball in the hole. Sometimes you'll hit a bad shot but then recover with a great shot. This is what golf is about.

When you feel comfortable you can graduate to a nine hole course and then ultimately a full size course.

I'm going to leave this with an analogy: imagine a footballer standing over a free kick. His target is the top corner, he's thinking about the trajectory he needs to curl it round the wall, the power required to beat the keeper but not too much that it sails over the bar. He's then going to trust his body to kick the ball as he visualised. He's not thinking about technical stuff like weight transfer, swing plane of his foot, angle of his knees. If he focused on all that stuff he would probably miss the ball.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I've got varifocal glasses but can't play in them - I am pretty short-sighted and the shift in apparent ball position when I nod my head does my head in. So I wear single vision distance contact lenses when playing.

I’ve never played in anything but varifocal glasses so don’t know any different. Never noticed the ball moving, probably will now I’ll be thinking about it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That must be what my coach uses, because I swear he’s told me every single thing on there.
I think there are huge question marks over this coach to be honest. All the lessons you've had, he's made you worse than when you were a complete beginner, and really he should have been saying the same as us, that the best thing is get out on the course, but he was obviously happy to take your money and confuse you further with more swing thoughts. Poor reflection on him.

Wolf

Visit site
That must be what my coach uses, because I swear he’s told me every single thing on there.
Which would answer why you haven't improved. You clearly have an overwhelmingly technical coach. Better off with someone that woukd have kept it to basics of , grip, posture and alignment for a few weeks to let you develop a natural action and work with what you have harnessing your enjoyment rather than fill your head with unnecessary technical thoughts effectively blocking you from playing

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Which would answer why you haven't improved. You clearly have an overwhelmingly technical coach. Better off with someone that woukd have kept it to basics of , grip, posture and alignment for a few weeks to let you develop a natural action and work with what you have harnessing your enjoyment rather than fill your head with unnecessary technical thoughts effectively blocking you from playing
100%!

Chris1967

Visit site
Such poor ball strikers that they miss the ball completley 1 swing in 3, and have a maximum range of 20 yards with any club?

Because that’s where I am.
You need to video your swing, that will show you instantly what you are doing wrong.
I did that when I ws struggling and never looked back.

RangeMonkey

Visit site
You need to video your swing, that will show you instantly what you are doing wrong.
I did that when I ws struggling and never looked back.

I can’t believe we’re going round and round the same things over and over again.

I’m not going to video my swing.

I’m not going to the range.

I’m not playing on a course.

Not now.

Probably not for at least a few weeks.

Probably, almost certainly, never again.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I can’t believe we’re going round and round the same things over and over again.

I’m not going to video my swing.

I’m not going to the range.

I’m not playing on a course.

Not now.

Probably not for at least a few weeks.

Probably, almost certainly, never again.
Ok if your really going to give up on it that's up to you. dont see why you continue to reply to advice rather than just say guys I'm done, thread is closed. seems a shame to give up so easily but each to their own and all that, you seem to get awful upset with some pieces of advice, your posting on a public forum, that's what you get. Youd really be aswell closing the thread and not logging on again if you actually are going to chuck it.

Hogieefc

Club Champion
Visit site
Whereabouts oop north are you as I'm sure there is someone on the forum who would gladly take you out on the course and give you some help.