Gleneagles - The Kings Course

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
What is downside of the PGA. Is it just more open, longer?

Is the Queens a slightly tighter version of the Kings or is that too simplistic?

My son and I were muttering about going up in the summer and playing Auchterarder and then the Queens on a twighlight deal. I'm interested to hear what you think.
I've played both Kings and Queens and loved them both! Both have undergone 'upgrades' to bring them back to original concepts since though.

Kings was/is definitely 'bigger', but Queens is no pushover. Tighter fairways and, at least the feeling of, more trees pose decent threats. It's actually on somewhat different land to Kings and scenery is, for me anyway, even better than Kings (as if that's not majestic enough!).

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Re Auchterarder I would agree that their is a lack of a decent pub, the Glendevon is very run down and the other two were no better although I can't remember their name. The Indian in the main street is more than decent for a meal. Its basically a main street with not a great deal of choice which is surprising considering the "affluent surroundings". I think we had a fantastic meal in The Cairn Hotel(or similar sort of name) which also had a nice bar area.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good write up but how to ruin a great days golfing, eating a McD's and worse still from a drive thru 😁 😂 😂 😂

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good write up but how to ruin a great days golfing, eating a McD's and worse still from a drive thru 😁 😂 😂 😂
It is a fair point but in our defence we had a 3hr drive home, needed to beat the Edinburgh bypass before rush hour, we failed :mad: so it became a 3.5hr drive, and the options for someone who doesn't know the area are poor. Once you hit the bypass and then the A1 there really is not that much to choose from. Ideally we would have eaten in the clubhouse, hey ho. (did I get away with that? :unsure::LOL:)

D

Deleted member 21258

It is a fair point but in our defence we had a 3hr drive home, needed to beat the Edinburgh bypass before rush hour, we failed :mad: so it became a 3.5hr drive, and the options for someone who doesn't know the area are poor. Once you hit the bypass and then the A1 there really is not that much to choose from. Ideally we would have eaten in the clubhouse, hey ho. (did I get away with that? :unsure::LOL:)

We quite often skip the clubhouse option at these clubs, due to cost and travel/work commitments. Shame the costs are sometimes silly high for just a lunch, as we would eat in clubhouses more often but I am there really for the golf course.

I would rather save the £15-30 per head and put that towards another round of golf, and eat some chips at a chippie or pie or maccys from the services.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What is downside of the PGA. Is it just more open, longer?

Is the Queens a slightly tighter version of the Kings or is that too simplistic?

My son and I were muttering about going up in the summer and playing Auchterarder and then the Queens on a twighlight deal. I'm interested to hear what you think.

It’s not just the fact it’s a pretty long slog- there’s added walking distance- a lot of the next tees are far from previous green (probably with crowd and tv in mind) so a round on it takes ages- definitely get a cart if you try it.

Also I just don’t think the scenery on it is all that great compares to the other 2. Just my opinion.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great write up, Lord T. Your son is a lucky lad.
He must have enjoyed it and realised how lucky as he thanked me after the round, on the journey home, when we got home and when he left back for university 😄. Perhaps he is just angling for a return visit 🤔. That wouldn't need much arm twisting mind.

Siolag

Visit site
Great writeup! I live very close to Gleneagles and have been quite a lot for food. One day Ill take my dad round, but i will want to be a lot better before then.

If you do return, or if any other members are going, Bridge of Allan is only about 15 miles away and has some very good pubs and restaurants. Easy route back to the motorway too.