Gleneagles Queens

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I enjoyed the drive to Gleneagles as you get close the Gleneagles estate opens up and you can see the hotel in the distance which adds to the anticipation of arrival.

The staff were friendly and helpful, after a coffee we went to the range and got a complimentary bucket of balls, I was hitting well on the range so felt good about starting.

On reflection I should have gone and practiced in some bunkers as on one hole I gave up after four attempts to get out of a bunker, well I did get out but the ball rolled back in.

The starter told us pick and place was in play which I was surprised at as we had very little rain for a week and the course was dry enough, I did wonder if it was because of the divots as many holes where players hit to get the best approach there was alot of divots, plus I don’t think I’ve seen as many divots on the teeing area on par 3s on a course before.

There had been work done off the fairways during the winter and it showed but that’s understandable.

The greens had some work done on them but they were good and run true, a touch on the slow side but that might of helped, I was surprised that the greens were relatively flat and can only remember a couple that had any severe breaks.

As the course opened up you got the true experience of what Gleneagles is like as the views are stunning, probably the best I’ve seen anywhere, that is the real magic of the place.

It was a fair test and gave you a good chance of scoring well particularly if you avoided the bunkers, Chris ( Golfmmad) played really well and scored 35 points with 21 on the back nine which was excellent playing the course for the first time.

I had trouble with my back so didn’t score well but it didn’t detract from the day as playing such a great course with my brother was a joy.

I’ll try and post some pictures later.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hoping to get up there this year. Played the other 2 courses but haven't played the Queen's yet. Got a pal who is a member. The £70 guest fee is a bit steep but then it's not a member's course.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hoping to get up there this year. Played the other 2 courses but haven't played the Queen's yet. Got a pal who is a member. The £70 guest fee is a bit steep but then it's not a member's course.
See it not as a guest rate but simply a green fee. It's well worth £70 imo, as a treat.

Lucky you to have a friend there 👍

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I paid double that if I could get on for £70 I would definitely go back and consider it a bargin

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Glad to hear you enjoyed the experience.
What you should realise is that being further north, the growing season has not really started yet and nearly all inland courses have preferred lies throughout April. Greens too will have very little growth so greenkeepers can’t afford to cut them too short as we still have a risk of frost.