40th Birthday Trip.... Help please!

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You could try Thailand. Great golf and nightlife.
Some great courses around Bangkok and down towards Chonburi. Or try t”a few days around Bangkok and fly down to Phuket.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
How about East Lothian? More golf than you could wish for, loads of boozers in North Berwick and Edinburgh is only 20 miles from Gullane when you want a bit of city fun. You can't go wrong in St Andrews, Liverpool...

I was 50 last week and looking at trying to co-ordinate some sort of Holland trip to incorporate some heathland classics with getting half cut every night and pretending I'm 20 years younger in Utrecht

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How about East Lothian? More golf than you could wish for, loads of boozers in North Berwick and Edinburgh is only 20 miles from Gullane when you want a bit of city fun. You can't go wrong in St Andrews, Liverpool...

I was 50 last week and looking at trying to co-ordinate some sort of Holland trip to incorporate some heathland classics with getting half cut every night and pretending I'm 20 years younger in Utrecht
That's a quirky one, Holland. If you do it please post. Not the gory details but the golf aspect, where you stay, the courses, approx cost etc. It sounds a bit different and pretty interesting.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks everyone so far this is exactly what I was after (maybe apart from the Bognor idea isn’t my favourite ?)

Thanks Fader for a list of Florida courses, you have confirmed what I was thinking that we don’t have to pay £300 a round for top courses when there’s loads of courses we would consider to be very good anyway!

South Africa and Turkey my worry would be the nightlife. We are not very cultured to be fair, if Wakefield and Scunthorpe had good courses and nice weather I wouldn’t be posting asking for advice.... ?

Please keep em coming. Ideally if you know of courses that we should be looking at. For Ireland are there courses we should look at?

Thanks all; ideas are really welcome!

Skeggy probably best bet then if you are that inbred.......

Zig

Visit site
Myrtle Beach is one of the great golf destinations but you can't do it within budget. I've been 6 or 7 times and it costs around £2k for flights, hotel, car and golf. You also need to eat/drink.

Then there is the PGA superstore. You will not see another golf shop like it anywhere on the planet. Actually you will, 10 miles up the road as there are 2 of them! That requires a bundle of cash too ?

You could just about do Ireland on your budget as long as you stay away from Dublin and the SW region. Donegal/Sligo offers the best VFM along with some stunning courses.

I'd second Ireland. Have done a few hols there - including a week-long stag do. Take your pic from RCD or RPortrush as your headline course, and then head northwest and go round the coast anti-clockwise... Ballyliffen, Donegal, Cruit Island, Rosapenna, Nairn and Portnoo. Then a tiny bit further and you could do Rosses Point, Enniscrone and Carne. All spectacular, and would be top25s in England!

Seen some shouts for the USofA too... I've played desert golf there as I figured it's not something you get the chance to do here. Scottsdale is (relatively) cheap in the summer as it's their low season. Boulders, Troon, and TPC were all amazing when we played. And Vegas is close enough for a couple of nights before you head home. ;)

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Awww does it hurt losing an argument?:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
Nope not really - I'd have to be in an argument to lose one.

Liverpool is a great choice - has more than it's share of good courses in the area and being a city has nightlife too - and being a city then acting a little uncultured won't be a problem - any city would do for that.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nope not really - I'd have to be in an argument to lose one.

Liverpool is a great choice - has more than it's share of good courses in the area and being a city has nightlife too - and being a city then acting a little uncultured won't be a problem - any city would do for that.

If you want to talk culture, try seeing which city has the most listed buildings outside London, the most well attended theatres, most museums etc.

If you want to talk foolish talk, carry on, but I'll bow out in deference to a world champion. (y)

Last edited:

NEGolfer

Visit site
Thanks again to all those contributing. I’m not going to get drawn into the north/south argument or the inbred comments as I jokingly mentioned Scunthorpe and Wakefield! My point was only that we wanted some nightlife not quiet hotel bars or ‘local pubs’.

I will look at the suggested courses and try and plot a route. Thanks to the fader and zig for their specific suggestions on courses.

So far it seems Scotland, Ireland, Dubai and Florida area are getting the most suggestions.

I would happily hear any other ideas or specific courses that others have played and can recommend.

Anyone recommend specific courses in Dubai? Any others from Florida as I know there are meant to be 1,000 courses in the state!